WORKAROUND: For crash and reboot when 'Bypass' is assigned to expression pedal - CoreOs 2.2.0

There is a bug in the 2.2.0 firmware that causes a crash and reboot when you attempt to assign the ‘Bypass’ parameter (under the assignment section of the context menu - three dots) to an expression pedal. As you would, for example, to set up auto-engage in a preset.

I found two workarounds until they address it (I hope, in the next firmware release).

Workaround #1: If you are using an expression pedal on only one EXP jack, you can do this. Unplug your expression pedal from "EXP 1’ and use ‘EXP 2’ instead. Recalibrate EXP from the I/O page. No more crashes when assigning ‘Bypass’.

Workaround # 2:
Unplug your expression pedal(s) before you add the Bypass assignment for an expression pedal in a preset, add your ‘Bypass’ assignment then save in the assignment screen. Make sure you also save the preset. Once the preset is saved you can plug the expression pedal back in, and the updated or new preset works with the EXP bypass assignment.

CAUTION: Opening the expression pedal’s assignment screen with the Bypass assignment, while the expression pedal is plugged in, will cause a crash. Don’t go back to that screen once you have the bypass set up and preset saved while your EXP 1 input has something plugged in.

Using the above method, you can modify existing or create new presets that require assigning a block’s (e.g. Wah) bypass parameter to an expression pedal.

They are probably already well aware of it, but maybe it might be helpful to Neural to know the crash seems to be related to some interaction between the new firmware and the EXP 1 jack. Nothing jacked in, no crash.

Oh, and the plot thickens. The auto-sensing in the EXP jacks (remember how the icons light up in your I/O page when an EXP is plugged in) also appears to be playing some part in triggering the crash. You don’t even have to have an expression pedal plugged in. Just having a TRS cable plugged in will cause the crash. So… be sure to unplug/replug your TRS cable from the QC’s EXP 1 jack for this workaround.

7 Likes

Found a second workaround. Added it to post above.

If you are using an expression pedal on only one EXP jack, you can do the following. Unplug your expression pedal from "EXP 1’ and use ‘EXP 2’ instead. Recalibrate EXP from the I/O page. No more crashes when assigning ‘Bypass’.

Thank you for that.

1 Like

Does this bug cause a crash if you are only using the expression pedal to control a parameter? I use a mini Dunlop to control the mix and feedback in Delay and Reverb blocks. I have the mix set so heel down is dry and toe down is 50% (50/50 wet/dry). Maybe I’m misunderstanding, but I don’t think this is the same as the bypass state that is causing the reported crash. I don’t plan on doing the update until this issue has been resolved, because I gig 1-3 times per week with my QC and I can’t risk it not working properly.

Doesn’t sound like you are using this feature. If you are only using the EXP to control a parameter this bug may not affect you. The bug is caused by assigning the ‘Bypass’ parameter to the expression pedal when it is plugged into EXP 1. Such as you would to set up auto-engage on a wah pedal.

1 Like

One more bug concerning the Bypass assignment to an expression pedal: I have a preset in which I add an octave below using my mini Dunlop to bypass or switch on the pitch shifter. The preset is saved with the pitch shifter off as default. However, when I switch to this preset from another one, the pitch shifter is in initially on, an I have to switch it off manually… Quite annoying when on stage.:-(. It worked just fine before CorOs 2.0.0. And, same thing happens when I try to use EXP 2.

1 Like

I do have one preset with a Wah, but I have it assigned to a stomp button in Hybrid Mode vs using a position of the pedal to turn it on/off. It sounds like I’d be safe to update, but the reality is 2.2.0 doesn’t have any upgrades or bugfixes that will improve the QC for me. I’m happy with the presets I created on the screen, so I’m going to sit tight and not upgrade, for now.

Yes, I’m guilty of being one of the whiners who whined about the whiners whining about not having a desktop editor. LOLOL The editor looks awesome and I’ll definitely use it once it’s stable, but a stable QC for gigging is more important to me than the desktop editor. I’m happy that NDSP has released this and everyone who really wanted it seem happy. Once NDSP has it stable they can concentrate on developing truly useful features on the QC, like the upcoming plugin compatibility and maybe an always on tuner.

Have a read of my post on this other thread, see if it helps.

Since I swapped over the switch polarities, mines working fine again.

1 Like

Am having the same issue since the last update. Using the Mission expression that’s built for the QC. So it is a 2 TRS output… The wahs that are already there before the latest update and both the sweep and bypass are ok. It’s only when I want to change the wah type. It will take the sweep part but not the switch without rebooting. The good thing is that even if I try to do the work around you mentioned is even if you mess it up it will just revert to the old wah type and still work the bypass and sweep.

I tried the work around. So say I want to change the cry wah for the bubba that’s where the crash and reboot happen when I try to assign exp 2 to the switch. I only disconnected the exp 2 and the QC didn’t take the change even when I saved the preset. It crashed and rebooted again but even though I saved the new wah it reverted to the older pre update wah preset on the reboot. So at least I didn’t lose my access to a wah.

I have found that if I am setting pedal one for the switch if I am REALLY QUICK and touch the assign button and then save it will take the change. I mean use two hands and bam.bam as fast as you can. Whatever it is picking up as to the pedal state that causes the crash must take a few milliseconds and if you are fast can beat it.

Disconnection pedals before edit assigments works for me. Thanks man!

1 Like

I think there’s a second issue with 2.2.0 and the expression pedal. It appears that when you select a patch, the patch is loaded and then the expression pedal is initialized to its minimum setting, overwriting what ever value the expression pedal had when you saved the patch. The patch will also appear edited (an * after the patch name).

If you use expression pedal position to bypass say a Wah, and you use toe-down (the more reliable position) for off, then you will find the Wah will be turned on when you select the patch. The work around is to always move the expression pedal after selecting a patch back to the heal or toe position.

1 Like

Seems to be similar behavior with the Volume block (and some have reported the Output block too, if you assign the XP to that)- it defaults to min value on preset load.

I use a toe-switch-equipped XP to toggle between fx via bypass and it’s quite a mess presently. It takes several presses to get the bypass to toggle
I’m not sure if there are several different issues going on w/ the XP assignments or if it’s just one big bug that manifests differently depending on individual setups/QC configs.

Definitely feeling like a ‘showstopper’ snuck past the testers this time.

1 Like

As I have noted elsewhere if you have a wah using the heel/toe and you go to another patch 1. If you never used the wah in the previous patch the new one will load with the wah in the off state. 2. If you used the wah in the previous patch the wah will load in the on state. And if you now use the wah and go back or even just reload the current then the wah will load in the on state. Somehow the on state flag is being sent to the next patch you load if you use the wah even though it was in the off state when you changed.

As I noted elsewhere. Try changing to another patch, don’t move the exp then switch back to the previous patch and see if the exp loads in the off state. Now do the same but this time use the exp and then back, I bet the pedal is in the on state.

Lots of expression pedal fixes in Coros 2.2.1 which came out a few days ago.

Updated and it’s WORSE…now my wahs are in the on state when I switch patches whether I had used it or not. Have to rock the pedal once to turn it off whenever I switch patches!!! Don’t they test these things!!!