WiFi issues

Many people don’t actually understand the issues here, and a basic explanation may help some.
In the early days of the internet, we connected through our telephone lines via a modem. That translated the signal entering our homes to ethernet. We may also have had a router that acted as the hub of our home network (LAN), issued network addresses to devices connected to the network, and managed network traffic. Many manufacturers combined the modem and router into a single box and, when wifi appeared, these boxes sprouted aerials and became radio transmitter/receivers as well as modems and routers. Nowadays most people call their boxes their routers, and think of them primarily as wifi transmitters, overlooking the fact that acting as a router is a totally separate function. Many of the problems can relate to the performance of the router function, and have nothing at all to do with wifi.
I use a mesh system for my wifi. It is wired to the ISP modem/router via ethernet, and provides good wifi all around my home. A couple of years ago I switched to fibre cable broadband, and I was given a new router by my new ISP. Roughly one third of my wifi devices stopped working. I was confident that my mesh wifi system was good, and the prime suspect was the router part of the ISP’s box. I inserted a dedicated wired ethernet router into the chain, and switched the ISP router into “modem-only” mode. Now the ISP router is just a modem, the wired router manages the network, and the mesh looks after wifi. All the problem devices connected instantly. The problem was the performance of the “router” function of the ISP device, not the wifi. Some of them are pernickety, and will simply not allocate network addresses to some devices. Don’t overlook this possibility.
Another possible problem arises because wifi can use the 2.4GHz or the 5GHz frequency wavebands, or both. Most laptops and tablets use the 5GHz band, and your “router” may only be set to transmit on 5GHz. If your router is not using the 2.4GHz band, your QC will not connect. Both bands also have channels, and it is best to use channels that are not congested by nearby transmitters, particularly in multi-occupancy buildings or near businesses with powerful transmitters. The 2.4GHz bands has channels 1 to 11 and, because there can be crosstalk across adjacent channels, the frequent advice is to use 1 or 11. However, this means that both ends of the channel spectrum can be congested, and nobody is using Channel 6 in the middle. Try it!
Probably the most significant problem is wifi signal strength. I recently saw a post saying that signal was -60db, and the QC was struggling to connect. Firstly, -60db is pretty weak. Secondly, the signal was probably being read by a tablet or laptop using the 5GHz band. The signal on the 2.4GHz band will often be 10-15db lower still, and -75db is very low. Check the 2.4GHz band specifically, because that is the band that the QC uses.
Ways of improving wifi coverage include a main hub/router with better wifi capabilities, or to use a mesh system, or extenders. Extenders can be connected to the main hub via ethernet or solutions like power-line networking. The latter does put a ripple on your mains, and can be an additional cause of interference and noise, particularly to audio equipment. They also normally operate as a separate access point with their own network name and password, different to your main wifi to avoid confusion. However, this does mean that your devices have to log off from one access point, and log on to another, as you move throgh your house.
With mesh devices, only one node is connected to the router. All the nodes connect together by wifi, and appear as a single network with a common name and passwork so moving between nodes is seamless. Wifi on the main router is normally turned off to avoid congestion. Don’t forget that any mesh or extender system must also use the 2.4GHz band if the QC is going to work.
It should now be obvious that there can be many factors that might make it difficult to connect your QC to wifi, and it is not always appropriate to blame the QC.

1 Like

Whilst what you said is helpful and may actually solve some people’s problems, I will absolutely blame the QC if it loses connection but my laptop, XBox, phone etc. have no similar issue.

I’m very capable of network troubleshooting but it’s unlikely that I’m going to so if only one device is being problematic, and - in my opinion - it’s not reasonable to ask anyone else to either.

If I were a betting man, I’d say it’s probably just not a very good WiFi module in the QC. I get two bars on my QC, and a couple of feet away I get five bars on my phone and desktop both at 2.4 and 5 GHz.

I haven’t had the problems others have had in this thread, other than a weak signal.

2 Likes