Weird connectivity and login issues

I can connect the QC to my home router but on that connection I cannot login or link to my Cloud Cortex account.

When I connect the QC to a personal hotspot off my mobile phone, I can link my QC to my Cloud Cortex account. On this connection I am able to create backups of my setup and see if CorOS is up to date or if a new version is available. However, when updates are available, trying to update versions fails.

Strangely, having linked to my account via the mobile hotspot, if I now connect to my home router and try to update the OS it succeeds. Experienced this with updates from versions 2.0.3 → 2.1.0 and 2.1.0 → 2.1.1.

Additional issue is that the QC sometimes does, but most of the times does not save my login credentials to Cloud Cortex and I have to repeat the whole process very often. This is really tedious!

Any suggestions for possible solutions will be appreciated. I will also send the above problem description to support.

Other than this problem, the QC rocks and I love it.

Sorry to hear about your WiFi issues. Definitely email support@neuraldsp.com so that they can log the issue and ultimately hopefully provide support. I ran into something similar for the first time today while trying to download the newest CoreOS 2.1.1 firmware and kept getting dropped and the update failed. I finally rebooted the QC (power disconnected etc) and it connected without issue. This is like the 2-3rd time I have had WiFi issues in the 2yrs I have owned the QC. It might be back end issues prepping for the next update and beta desktop editor. I will also shoot a direct message to support and see if anything is occurring in the back end and will update either way.

1 Like

Thanks. I have contacted support - will update here if/when I make some headway on the issue.

1 Like

would be good to hear what Support has to say- this issue seems to be re-surging presently.
If it is backend work on the editor beta, would be good for everyone to know

1 Like

Agreed, I have escalated directly to top support and will update if I hear anything.

2 Likes

They have responded quite quickly and asked me for more details (screenshots, etc.). I will definitely post here as things move along.

1 Like

Support is aware of the random connection issues and addressing the issue. Unfortunately, I don’t have additional details other than they are working with individuals that have reported the issue.

2 Likes

Yes, that is correct. Here’s what they’ve told me so far:

“Regarding the Cortex Cloud login credentials, the developers are aware of this issue and hope to address it in CorOs 2.2.0 due with the release of Cortex Control currently scheduled for October 9th.”

So this sounds good.

“Regarding the WiFi connectivity, is it possible you can change both your connection names and passwords, and avoid any special characters in both if possible.”

I have not been able to try this as yet as the rest of my family use the same connection.

“do a factory reset via the Recovery Mode and see if that, improves the issue.”

I’ve tried this but it didn’t make any difference.

2 Likes

Thanks for your update!

2 Likes

On a whim, I wanted to ensure you are trying to connect to 2.4Ghz WiFi as 5Ghz isn’t supported.
I have seen the issue with non-standard characters within your SSID resulting in connectivity issues as well. Lastly, you could test by quickly setting up a ‘guest’ 2.4Ghz WiFi access to test with the QC, then you wouldn’t have to impact your families devices.

1 Like

On a whim, I wanted to ensure you are trying to connect to 2.4Ghz WiFi as 5Ghz isn’t supported.

Yes, my wifi connection is 2.4GHz, and I noticed the QC doesn’t detect my other 5Ghz connection.

I have seen the issue with non-standard characters within your SSID resulting in connectivity issues as well.

My SSID doesn’t have any special chars. My password does, though, and I’m surprised that this is an issue with the QC.

Lastly, you could test by quickly setting up a ‘guest’ 2.4Ghz WiFi access to test with the QC, then you wouldn’t have to impact your families devices.

Great suggestion! I had not thought about this option and was trying to find the least problematic way to create a new SSID and passphrase. I’m on dd-wrt firmware for my router which has a convoluted way to do this (create a virtual AP, etc), but I bungled my way through it, created a new connection and password with no special chars, and … voila, it worked! I was able to link to my Cloud Cortex account, backup/restore my presets, etc. The only thing I haven’t been able to test is updating to new firmware since I have 2.1.1 already. Seems good so far, though I think NDSP needs to figure out that quirk with special chars in passwords - that does not come across as an issue that should arise at all!

Thanks for the update! Glad you got connected. Some people use their phones hotspot feature but creating a guest account should be an easier solution.
If you haven’t updated support yet, I will let them know.
We’re you able to confirm with the guest account that the original password didn’t work also?
If so, there may be a bug with certain characters etc. Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks for the update! Glad you got connected. Some people use their phones hotspot feature but creating a guest account should be an easier solution.

I tried using a hotspot. It allows me to link to Cloud Cortex, but fails on updates to the firmware.

If you haven’t updated support yet, I will let them know.

I have updated them.

We’re you able to confirm with the guest account that the original password didn’t work also?
If so, there may be a bug with certain characters etc. Thanks!

Yes, it didn’t work. The offending chars were one, some or all of these: @%#$
The security mode and the WPA algorithm used didn’t seem to matter.

Oh no. After trying out the old password, failing and reverting to the new password without the special chars, logging into my Cloud Cortex account is failing again. This is so weird.

That is weird. Assumed you disconnected rebooted and then tried the guest account again? Definitely suggest to keep support updated if possible :slightly_smiling_face:

It sounded like you found the solution so possibly the guest account password needs to be reset again with the alternate password?

Some people use their phones hotspot feature

Yes, I did that. On the hotspot I could link to Cloud Cortex, but I could not update CorOS on that connection.

Assumed you disconnected rebooted and then tried the guest account again?

Yes. Even tried using new SSID names to no avail.

Definitely suggest to keep support updated if possible.

I have done that.

It sounded like you found the solution so possibly the guest account password needs to be reset again with the alternate password?

Yes, I’ve tried changing the password as well, but no luck so far.

This is really weird. I think there’s something really dodgy going on here. :confounded:

While waiting for support to address this, you might try a factory reset and restore (assuming you have a backup already)? There might be some weird conflict and or setting with using DD-WRT as well. For the record, I use a Ubiquiti mesh Wifi that usually has zero issues. I did experience being disconnected like others recently but NDSP has confirmed to resolve those issues in the next CoreOS update.

I truly hope support is able to quickly find a resolution your issue!

1 Like

Thanks. Yes, I did try another factory reset, but this time it didn’t work.
One other thing I noticed is that if I enter a wrong password for my wifi (router or hotspot), the QC connection locks up. I don’t get to retry with another password unless I reboot. I’ m not sure what library the QC is using for connectivity but it appears to be quite buggy and may be the problem.

I got this little side note from support:

“I’m hoping the wifi issue might be resolved in the next update, but lets see.”

So while there is no guarantee it’ll be in the next update, there’s a chance. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Fingers crossed! Thanks for the update!

1 Like