Recommended Expression Pedals

So I learned today that there is a HUGE difference in an instrument cable and a TRS cable. Herp Derp! I got it working now with the Dunlop X8. I seriously thought they were the same cables.

1 Like

I tried my Source Audio Reflex and it works great.
The LFO function also works perfectly

Did not test the MIDI function though

1 Like

Did you get your QC Yet? I’m curious if the Fractal EV’s will work with the QC.

Someone on FB reported that it works fine.

Overall, it seems to work fine with any TRS expression pedal with standard polarity. Folks with Line 6-designed pedals might be out of luck but other than the TS/TRS issue, I haven’t seen any reports of the QC not liking any expression pedals.

1 Like

Great. Thanks for the info. I really like the EV’s and have a QC on preorder and I was hoping the EV’s would work with it. I just got an invite from Fractal for the EV2’s so I think I will order a couple!

BOSS FV-500H is kinda working … it “works” but the sweep is very narrow,
big part of pedal movement is unusable . But it is not in the list if tested pedals though

How did you set it up for wah?

I experienced a similar issue with the BOSS EV-30. BTW, I didn’t like the plain surface of the pedal without any grip anyways. So I sent it back and got the Lehle dual expression, which is closest to perfection in terms of quality and functionality.

1 Like

I’ve been real happy with the boss EV-30 (I have two of them - one for wah & one for whammy); it’s worked perfectly for me right out of the box & it’s the ideal form factor/size as well.

Hi All - I am not very good with cables and audiophile topics, but I need some help with hooking up expression pedals to my QC.

I have a Boss FV-500H and a Boss EV-1-WL wireless, which I use for other purposes at home. I am very happy with them and want to try to hook them up to QC. I’ve read the manual but I still am not quite sure what to do. Can the FV-500H be used with good results? If so, what type of cable is needed to connect the pedal to the QC?

I saw the Neural DSP Recommended Expression Pedals list and the Low Impedance version is recommended. Why would the L model be better in this case?

Also, my EV-1-WL works easily with my Neural plug ins, when I use my computer and connect via bluetooth. However, I don’t know how I would connect this to the QC. It only has a MIDI Out slot and a USB slot, which I presume is for connecting to computer only.

Please help!!! I really don’t want to buy another expression pedal when I have 2 that satisfy all my other needs.

Hi, you need a stereo cable with TRS jacks on either end in order to connect your FV500 or any other standard expression pedal.

The correct impedance for an expression pedal is important & I would usually recommend a low impedance model for this sort of thing; however, many digital modellers can accept either/or so it’s worth giving the one you have a try before purchasing anything else (you can’t do any damage, worst case scenario is that it just won’t work properly).

Boss do mini cables for the EV-1WL that will allow you to connect it to the midi in socket on the QC. I’ve not tried controlling expression parameters over midi with the QC but this may well be something that can be configured with a bit of experimentation (it won’t be plug & play like a regular expression pedal though).

dunlop auto return mini Wah Mod …

I think DOD has a toe switch. Is it possible to activate any blocks (wah, whammy etc.) just by pushing to toe switch, instead of QC switches?

No toe switch on the DoD.

I use Roland EV-5 pedals and have never had a problem with either my Fractal unit of my OC

I don’t know about the DOD specifically, but I use the Mission w/ toe-switch; you can use the XP switch to bypass fx, However, you must disable ‘auto-bypass’ - the setting most people use to activate their wah when the pedal starts to move. Also, you have to move thru the full throw of the pedal to reach the toe-switch which may create an audio effect you don’t really want just to toggle fx.

It’s kind of limited in its application. I use it sparingly. It’s better suited to other fx than wah because of how you have to pedal all the way to 100% throw to reach the switch. It can also conflict with scene assignments so to many it’s just not worth the trouble. A separate button/switch to use as XP2 might be more useful; I think that’s the direction I’m going

With the current setup with having to switch scenes to turn the wah on and off is you do not want to use the heel/toe of pause I tried mine but the QC takes a wah in front just like an amp so I use an external Wah and don’t have to worry about it. If QC ever changed the MIDI functions so there is a dedicate cc to turn the wah on or off then maybe I would go back but my new Hotone Soul Press 2 beats my Cry Babies and anything in the QC. It has two modes, classic and modern, and thena Q control so you can dial in whatever wah tone you want. It also acts as amy volume pedal saving another slot in the QC rigs.

I have a lot of different expression pedals and the one that is, IMHO, the best is the Lehle Dual Expression Pedal. It uses magnets instead of potentiometers which means there’s nothing to fail. It also detects if you are using TS (Helix) TRS (QC, Fractal Audio) It requires a 9V power supply and it’s expensive but well worth it.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LDualExp--lehle-dual-expression-pedal

1 Like

Everything Lehle does is of the highest quality imaginable - I love their products :raised_hands:

1 Like

I use a cheap but very effective M-Audio EXP 1. Calibration took 1 minute and it works flawlessly. I even use the Bypass feature when pedal is stopped (which engages wah for instance when the pedal moves).