Is it possible to add more switches to the Quad Cortex, any idea?

I would like to have a few more switches, maybe 6 more, to control a more complex rig without switching between stomp and scene. Is that possible over midi for example?

Yes, I use this Voes | Midi Controllers

Can you use the Voes (I would prefer the MX-6) to switch more Stompboxes in Stomp mode? On the Homepage I couldn’t clearly find an answer, and that’s for what I would need it most!

No, you cannot assign blocks to any external MIDI command at this time. There is at least one feature request to make MIDI commands block specific, not switch specific. But at the moment in stomp mode you’re limited to 8 switches total.

Thank you very much! Bad news, I hope there will be a solution in future!

Actually, there is a work-around but it requires your MIDI controller to send three commands per buton push, i.e., a command to set your QC to stomp mode, a command to activate the QC footswitch assigned to the block you want to control and a final command to set the QC back to Preset or Scene mode. If you want to do this from either mode, you’ll need to set up two banks on your controller, one to return to Preset mode and another set to return to Scene mode. It’s not optimal but it works quite quickly and will get you by until direct MIDI block control is implemented. I’m using two Hotone Ampero controllers, giving me eight footswitches in a compact form factor.

I just want to be in the stomp mode and just need a command that activates and deactivates a stomp box per switch (or two, if the device had a long hold function). On the website of voes it looks like, that they can control boxes/fx, but when I look at their videos on YouTube, they only shows to switch scenes.
When I just want to be in stomp mode and just use the device in stomp mode, there’s no need to switch back to scene or preset mode (I have disabled the preset mode, no need for).
Unforunately the QC don’t leave the boxes on, when I go from stomp mode to scene mode, in the other direction it does.
Maybe someone make a preset for his device to make it possible.

You should vote for this request which addresses flexible switch assignment on the QC

This does not address the issue.

It is related to
the issue

Another good alternative are the midi controllers by Morningstar. I have the MC6 pro. It works great. Easy editor and nice vibrant screens.

I have three switches at the top that are assigned to Stomp, Scene, preset mode so I can get to any with a single press.

Three bottom switches are to raise and lower gig view (clutch), looper x view, and tuner view.

This helps so I can have 8 scenes and then 8 stomps and get to the relatively easily but I do agree more flexible assignment would be great. Assigning a specific block to a midi command would be clutch. I’ve done it this way with an hx stomp.

3 Likes

I was using my Nektar Pacer with my Eleven Rack and have switched that to my new QC.
It has a preset button, upper left, you press and then one of the other 10 to select a Pacer preset which can also send a message to the QC as to which preset you want. If you compare it to the others at $299 it gives the most bang for the buck and is built quite well.

Nektar Pacer

My default, using QC Hybrid Mode (scene over stomp), for the 10 are top row 4 scene select butttons. Bottom row selects block switches on/off. I have a Boss dual switch foot switch which plugs into the Pacer top button for tuner and bottom button toggles Gig View on the QC. I have barely touched what ciuld be done between the two so far just to get basic implimentarion. You could add more footswitches as more midi cc’s are hopefully added to the QC.

Nektar has a QC preset you can download which I did but then customized my own. And as usual always a works in progess subject to change.

Coonie, unless I’m missing somthing, the hack I described will do what you are asking for. While in Scene mode, one button push on your controller and a block is on, push it again and the block is off. Your other choice is to wait for Neural to expand MIDI functionality. There are already multiple requests for this.

Maybe it’s a case of misunderstood, because I’m German and maybe I can’t understand right. You say, while in scene mode, but when I’m in scene mode, I can’t use my 8 knobs from the QC, which switches some Stomp boxes in stomp mode. I want to be in stomp mode an add more additional stomp boxes, so I can have for example 14 different stomps on 14 switches (8 from QC and 6 from an other device). So I can have one rig, switch between 3 Amps and use 11 Stomps.

2 Likes

Unfortunately the midi implementation on the QC does not (currently) offer what you are requesting. The 3-command approach of having the QC in Scene Mode and also offer individual stomps via a MIDI controller sounds awful but it works reliably for me (using an MC6 Pro)

Easily. Try an MC6 or MC8. There’s a series of videos done by a Quad Cortex moderator over on YouTube.

How is either one of those going to implement what he is trying to do, they are limited to the few midi cc’s allowed like all the other midi controllers.

You’re right. I mis-read his question and thought he wanted to switch between modes.

Those Morningstars are nice and like my Nektar Pacer add LOTS of possibilities with the additional switches and exp pedls if they add more midi capabilities to the QC as is being requested. I was using with an Eleven Rack controling the individual devices.