Is there any point to an external midi footswitch?

I was going to get an external midi footswitch to use with my quad cortex, but it seems there is almost no point. Am I missing something in the manual? It doesn’t seem I can turn on/off blocks beyond the 8 footswitches on the unit itself.

Was hoping to use the quad cortex in hybrid mode for stomp/scenes + use the midi footswitcher for additional stomps. This would eliminate most pedals on my board, but not seeing anything to control more than just the 8 switches on the board itself.

If you get one that can send multiple midi commands with a single click, I think the work around is (e.g if you have your QC in Scene mode) midi footswitch sends ‘change to hybrid mode’, ‘footswitch press’, ‘change to scene mode’. Apparently that will happen as good as instantaneously.

Might be able to get it to work with Hybrid mode, but I can’t wrap my head around that - I just have a basic bitch midi footswitch that only does one thing per switch. It’s nice to have the QC on the desk though for easy editing, and footswitches on the floor. Maybe you could switch to stomp mode then back to hybrid…

I think switching to gig view and back would be useful. Switching between preset, scene, hybrid and stomp modes would be more convenient than stepping on two switches at once.

1 Like

I see how that could be useful to some. Personally I would find going between those modes mid song disorienting.

Kinda annoying it doesn’t seem I can have even 8 stomp switches + 4 scenes available at once if I expand with a midi footswitch. Especially with the amount of blocks that are available on the unit.

Did you read my reply? Pretty sure you could do this with, say, the HoTone ampero control. Have the QC in stomp mode, use the 8 switches for that, then each of the external switches need to be programmed to; ‘Switch to scene mode, select scene A/B/C etc, switch back to stomp mode’.

I guess you could program a second bank on the HoTone to select scenes E - H, then you’d have the best of both - all scenes and all stomps accessible.

I did read your reply but the way it’s all worded in the manual is confusing. I would love to avoid switching modes or the view on the QC during a song.

I think what you’re saying at the end makes sense. Have the QC in stomp mode, and then the footswitch is just adjusting through 4 scenes in the background of that. The manual makes it seem like you’re just controlling the A-H footswitches on the device. Appreciate the help!

This is exactly what I do for gigs. I bought a disaster area midi baby pedal and have 8 scenes setup. If I want to toggle to stomp mode I can with one foot switch as opposed to the two at once on the QC.

You can do a lot with a midi controller. I use a Morningstar MC6 Pro. I use it to seamlessly choose between Preset, Stomp and Scene mode without having to scroll though them. Also I use it to go to gig view with the push of a button. Also you can be in ‘Stomp’ mode and change presets that you setup. In order to change effects you have to use the CC messages that the QC uses for each stomp switch. In other words, you can’t just arbitrarily choose a random CC message, it has to be one that coincides with the number(s) that are in the manual. With the Morningstar, however, they’re in the midi dictionary which from what I understand has been built from user input. I have noticed that a couple of the number have been misplaced in regard to the view selections but it’s not difficult to see what the correct ones are.

1 Like

I prefer to be in gig view and either stomp mode or scene mode during a song. In between songs preset mode and the tuner come in handy.

I am intrigued by the Morningstar MC6 PRO. Was it designed more or less to work with the QC?
iasked this in another thread but have not received a reply yet, so I will ask it here…Which MIDI foot controller woud be the ultime for the QC? And which one is easist to interface with the PC? Are there any cool tutorals out there for something like the Morningstar that are QC specific?

If I had a midi footswitch I could control the QC that is on my desk from the floor. I think something made from sticks and tape and cables and pulleys could work, too.

1 Like

LOL :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I’ve just purchased a Roland FC-300 because as nice as it is to have the QC on the floor, it’s much easier to edit at at a height that makes sense when sitting or standing.

I’m considering getting the MC6. I’m wondering if what SpinalTap suggested above is indeed possible. He was talking about doing it with a HoTone controller but I suppose the MC6 would be just as capable if not moreso ::

"Have the QC in stomp mode, use the 8 switches for that, then (external controller switches on the MC6) need to be programmed to: ‘Switch to scene mode, select scene A/B/C etc, switch back to stomp mode’.

I guess you could program a second bank on the (MC6) to select scenes E - H, then you’d have the best of both - all scenes and all stomps accessible."

Could you confirm that this is a possibility?

I’ll also add that I am very new to the QC, but it seems like they could make the Hybrid setup infinitely more robust for live use by using the up and down arrows to toggle more banks of scenes for the current preset instead of cycling presets. Cycling presets live is just not practical unless they figure out a way to keep trails and get rid of the gap, which is unlikely.

I do this in hybrid mode. With my Nektar Pacer, https://nektartech.com/pacer-midi-daw-footswitch-controller/, my default set up is Pacer bank selected by press the top left Preset button then one of the top A, B, C, D to select a Pacer bank then with the bottom 1-6 select a QC preset that is assigned to it. So for instance I press Preset → A that gives me 6 QC presets I have assigned on the bottom row to choose from.

So I choose foot switch 1 and that QC preset is loaded and now the top A, B, C, D select scenes within that Preset and the bottom 1- 6 whatever blocks within the scene I have assigned my default being 4 O/D-boost-dist, 1 Mod and number 6 changes from gig mode to grid mode. I can choose any of the four scenes by simply pressing that button and the change is instant.

Now once I have hit the Preset button then one of the A, B, C, D Pacer banks, say A then 2 so now I’m in whatever QC preset I assigned to the 2 button to go to A - 3 and that QC preset I only have to press the Preset then 3 button I don’t have to Press A again. So I have six presets to choose from at any time with just two button presses and 4 scenes to choose from within that preset with just one button press.

Hope that makes sense. Nektar has a QC file you can download that has it’s own different assignments, my default one works for me and makes it easy to add new ones in the QC and have a system already set up. Everyone is lobbying for more ane better MIDI implimentation in the QC make sure you vote for it around here!

The midi implementation has been the biggest disappointment for me with the QC. I bought it without fully understanding the preset/scene hierarchy and the midi implications. I planned on using the QC as a midi controller of sorts with midi commands being tied to preset footswitches… problem is presets are meant to be used as completely separate rigs, not as a preset sound for a section of a song (i.e. instantaneous switching of sounds). That is what scene is for. But scene does not support midi commands for the footswitches. Seems like this could be a very easy implementation on the part of Neural.

It seems like a lot of folks on here are hopeful that these sort of features, ones that enhance live playing and integration with other FX, are implemented in the near future… but also skeptical that Neural will pursue these as they’ve given every indication that they aren’t really into further developing the QC as a live tool.

I don’t think that’s the case at all.
They’ve been working hard to provide the big features missing from launch. When the last of those are finished we can expect more attention to other areas. Along the way they’ve been able to knock out many of the most popular feature requests.

There’s a long way to go for sure but there’s also been a lot accomplished since release

Well, we’re 3 years after the fact and they’re still missing basic midi implementation that you would have found decades ago on some pedals. For the record, I hope you are right. But to me, it seems like they have, at the very least, not prioritized live playing and integration as part of a bigger signal chain.

1 Like

It is pretty crazy the midi is so limited still. The idea of changing modes mid song to access more stomps/scenes is absolutely crazy to me. I can’t see how that would be functional in a real touring band situation. I prefer the amp and effects models on the QC to anything else I’ve tried, but their lack of midi kind of defeated the purpose of the extra processing power the QC has.

1 Like

I’ve been using my QC with two Hotone Control pedals (using the mode change technique) for several months. It works well and is surprisingly fast. The down side is if you want to turn blocks off and on from both Preset and Scenes mode, you have to program two different banks on the controller in order to return to the correct mode after it sends a block off/on message. I agree that QC has a ways to go with it’s MIDI capability. Maybe next update?