How 2 Power the QC on a Pedalboard?

Hi man, any chance you’ve tried powering the Cioks Crux from the Ojai’s 24V thru port? Sigh… I just need a vote of confidence before I go ahead to just work off the Ojai that’s already under the board :disappointed_relieved:

I personally have the Zuma, but yes, I run it off the 24v Thru no problem! It would be the same for the Ojai. Been using it for a while now with no problems. I’m sure Cioks would rather you use it with the DC7, but there doesn’t seem to be any difference.

1 Like

Epic. Thank you for the reply on an otherwise 2 month old thread :sweat_smile:

I use this industrial power supply to power the QC:

https://www.jameco.com/z/GST40A12-P1J-MEAN-WELL-12-Volt-3340mA-40-Watt-3-Wire-Regulated-Switching-Table-Top-Power-Supply-2-1mm-Plug-Level-VI_2224307.html

The power supply is center-pin positive, so I use a reverse-polarity adapter cable from Voodoo Lab to reach the QC as center-pin negative:

https://voodoolab.com/product-category/cables/reverse2-5/

The power supply is $17.40, and the Voodoo Lab cable is ~$5 plus shipping. [The p.s. does not include an extra IEC cable, if I remember correctly.]

This setup has worked perfectly for me since day one. I definitely do not believe in shelling out $200 for a DC7 and an additional $70 for a Crux. Do what you like, though.

4 Likes

If you’re powering just the QC, that’s a stellar way to do it and do it economically!

For me, I already had a Strymon Zuma from my previous board and I need/needed to power other pedals in addition. Personally, it made more sense (and was way more simple in terms of wiring) to run my Zuma (admittedly a little overkill for the board) and a Crux over migrating to the DC7 and a Crux or having one plug for the pedals and one for the QC.

That said, I have some buddies that just run QC and have the same complaint about the stock power supply that most do. Kinda strange to me that it isn’t IEC out of the box, but what do I know haha. I’m gonna send them this! Appreciate the links.

Here’s how route power into my Temple Duo 34:

External IEC cable → Temple power module → Y-adapter splitter cable

Y-adapter splitter cable → Voodoo Lab Pedal Power Plus 3 (for my external FX)

Other half of Y-adapter splitter → Power supply for QC → Voodoo Lab reverse polarity cable → QC

Boys and girls, bought myself the Cioks Crux earlier today and powered it off the 24V Thru outlet on an Ojai. IT.WORKED. :partying_face:

2 Likes

I really like Neural DSP Quad Cortex
Its been great for me.

Cioks DC7 and Cioks Crux for me.

what´s the point of changing the power supply or parallel connecting to one? why not just plug the qc straight to the wall?

There are two different reasons for other power supplys for the QC. 1. Some people have the feeling, that the quality of the original is not good enough. 2. if you want to put you QC on a pedal board with other pedals it is easier if you can power all devices with just one power supply.

1 Like

[/quote]
No. The Voodoo has 6 x 250mA outputs, even if you paralleled them all up together that would only give 1.5A, not enough for the QC.

I’m wondering the same thing? People just don’t want extra cable going to their board?

Yes, it’s just easier to mess around with one power cord than with two ;-). Or do it like me and several other her and user a power bank for the complete board. No power cable at all anymore.

Boys and girls: Here’s an update to my Cioks Crux + Strymon Ojai situation.

The setup that I initially started off with included the QC, the BigSky in stereo loop, a Morningstar MC3 and tuner. Ooutlets from Ojai to power the BigSky, MC3 and tuner, and the Crux hooked up to the Ojai’s 24V thru port to power the QC.

Setup worked fine for the first couple of days. But one fine day, the QC went into a random power cycle. And that scared the S**T out of me. I gave the QC some time to remain shut and tried again later in the day. Same behaviour.

Next day I tried powering up again, but scaled back by removing the BigSky from the mix. Setup appeared well and stable. Suggesting then that the Ojai has just enough current output to power the QC and 2-3 low power-draw pedals, not an ampere guzzler like the BigSky.

I did however want the QC setup to have enough ampere headroom on hand to incorporate various bleep-bloop pedals from time to time. So, long story short, got the DC7 not too long after and am now in the process of switching the larger always-at-home board over to another DC7.

I suppose the Crux + Ojai option is great if you’re okay to run the QC alone. In fact, if you’ve got one of those setups where you’re using just the QC with an expression pedal, I’d imagine you could plug the provided Ojai power brick directly to the Crux, bypass the Ojai 9V distributor altogether.

Anyway, I’m starting to ramble. So, bye!

Shouldn’t be an issue at all. The Quad Cortex spec states “Typical Power Consumption: 18W”. Since Watt = Volt * Ampère or A = W/V we need 18w/12v=1.5A. Hence there is plenty of headroom with 3A. I guess that explains why 2A will be ok if you aren’t running two instruments with a full AMP,FX,CABs chain in parallel. But would be interesting if it is actually possible to bring the device down. In worst case it will basically shut down.

Yea I noted that 2a power supply and QC 3a spec as did someone else. Thanks for the research. The Moorer is 25v input so it converts volts to amps on the outputs lower voltage. Seems someone did hit the amp brickwall and had a problem too so wonder what the amp rating is for that output.

I had a Fulltone Fat Boost that was giving me a low frequency low volume pop about every 2 seconds. I contacted Fulltone and we went over the power on my board as that was typical if the FB was under powered. Said it was a capacitor cycling and that it would try to charge up but then discharge when it couldn’t or something like that. Anyway beefed upped a small daisy chained power supply to a MRX Iso Block and solved that.

Not a great idea to go below the manufacturer ratings. Not just the internals of the QC needing enough currerent, and here is were my disclaimer I am NOT an electrical engjneer this is my laymans interpretation, but if something is trying to draw more current that a power source can supply the power source may lower voltage to supply more current. And lower voltage CAN cause damage.

So best advice is add em all up and make sure you can supply it.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DCBrickISO--mxr-m238-iso-brick-10-output-isolated-guitar-pedal-power-supply

Hey! Thank you for posting a cost effective option. I am ordering all of the pieces to get this done. I am not super knowledgeable when it comes to powering pedals, so it may be a stupid question, do you need some sort of coupler to go from the Mean Well power supply to the Voodoo Lab reverse polarity cable you linked since it is 2 male ends?

Thank you!

Let me check on my setup at home and get back to you. I think the Voodoo Lab cable I have is not available anymore. Mine has a male and female end, similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/Belker-Reverse-Polarity-Converter-Keyboard/dp/B07PMHMPMP?source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=ASQ82QWPDLFS4

Great! Thank you! I was thinking this might work if it is the case.

https://www.amazon.com/JacobsParts-Coupler-Female-Barrel-Connector/dp/B00QZDSR3I/ref=asc_df_B00QZDSR3I/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198076677096&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6155280920461411286&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9012133&hvtargid=pla-319429332411&th=1