Size of the QC power brick // planing new pedalboard

Hi fine folks @Neural,

could you kindly tell the world the size of the power brick (I guess from the power plug on the device one is needed) of the QC unit?

I’m already planing to make a new size appropriate pedal board (Quad Cortex with two Audio Tapestry volume/expression pedals --> perfect size for the QC), so having that info in advance would be much appreciated by me :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance

Second this! Also would love to see that list of compatible PSUs, am planning a board with a wireless, expression pedal, external tuner (always on), and i’d like to have only one IEC output from my board.

1 Like

Is there any update on this list of compatible PSUs?

I am curious about the possibility of being able to use the QC standalone with some type of battery powered option, which somewhat fits in with this topic.

I have not come across any updates about the power supply situation that are meaningful in any way. The Sweetwater tech specs just restate the obvious.

“Power Source: 12V DC power supply (included)”

Might look at the Mission 529 w/USB-C battery

1 Like

Thanks. I recall seeing those before. Good rec and good company. I suspect it would be a risky proposition to use the 529M version, which is the only one that can do 12v. Mission put out the 529HC version to provide the exact needs for the Helix Stop, and it is even supported by Line 6 and will not void the warranty. I am guessing they might need to do something similar for the QC in order to ensure it will not pose any risks. I have not really gotten smart on battery powering stuff like this yet, so I don’t really know what I am saying and am therefore taking a conservative approach for now.

It looks like you need a PSU that can provide 12V at 3A. I highly doubt there is any on the market that provides that kind of output. Or at least I couldn’t find any so far.

If you type 3A, 12V into Google search you get some suggestions like this:

Don’t know if it fits but just saying. Should be no problem, theoretically.

this

https://missionengineering.com/shop-2/products/power/529-m/

plus this

= wireless power for the QC

1 Like

I have one of those and a USB-C PD wart waiting for my QC to show up :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cioks DC 7 works flawlessly on my QC.

2 Likes

You are not having any issues powering the Quad Cortex with the Cioks 12V dc output? Since the 12Vdc outputs are rated at 500ma, I was thinking about getting this power supply and parallel four outputs to get 2 amps. Not sure how much the QC actually needs?

Are you using just one output or paralleling some?

Thanks! I found another thread that said 1.24 amp draw. I purchased the Cioks DC7 last night and plan to use my lab power supply and meter to make some dc measurements. But, if it is 1.24 amps, then I plan to parallel 3 outputs of the DC7. I can use the other outputs to power my Sennheiser receiver, Digitech Trio +, and Peterson Stobostomp.

I used my lab voltage supply and Fluke meter to make current measurement of my Quad Cortex. Providing a very clean 12Vdc @ 5 amp supply with my Fluke meter connected in series with the supply I found the following:

With the Quad Cortex off the current draw is .074 A (74mA).
With the Quad Cortex on standby the current draw is 1.063 A (1063 mA).
The startup current draw max is 1.876 A (1876 mA).

I loaded the unit to 63% with a screen brightness of 3 and LED’s at 7, the current draw was 1.211 A (1211 mA)

I found the biggest drawing factor is the screen brightness. at max setting of 32, the current draw is 1.96 A (1960 mA).

My CIOKS DC7 arrives tomorrow. With my normal use, I plan to parallel 3 outputs at 12Vdc. I image the unit will ride through the startup of 1.9A monetary draw. Since the unit has a good monitoring system, I should find out real fast. If my screen brightness was set higher, I would have to go to 4 outputs in parallel or just to be safe, it would be the best option.

I also do not plan to keep my unit on standby with such a large current draw unless I plan to come back to the unit right away.

Is there a higher amperage setting on the 7? I just installed a HI5 Mod and it will not run the Quad Cortex. It’s blinks three times and shuts off