Who is Using QC for Performance? What Could it Do Better?

Kinda defeats the point of a Global EQ. :smirk:

3 Likes

I look at the global EQ as a type of “mastering” plug in after everything…for live sound.
I would appreciate it if they would also make the impedance button assignable to be saved per preset.
Some of my guitars only sound good when the impedance is set all the way off, to the left.

That’s exactly right. Which means you turn it on and adjust it for the venue you’re in so it affects all presets equally.

If you need different EQ on different presets you need to set that up with EQ blocks.

1 Like

This is the big one for me.

@ndsp_staff, I wonder if a cheat/work around for this (might be problematic processing-wise) would be if the neural was always sampling whatever audio was running (say a .25-1 sec window) at the time, so when a preset change occurred, the sample would play and stop once new audio was detected from the new preset. Kind of like a “freeze” that was operating all the time but only momentarily enough to “fill” the gap of the preset change? Not sure if this makes sense.

I use the cortex in live performance 100% of the time (iem/foh no on stage sound). I think its great.

1 Like

I could definitely work with this. I imagine a lot of people would hate it, so would need to be switchable and off by default :smile:

Even limiting the fast loading to something like the presets needing to be similarly laid out would suit me. I’m switching between presets that could essentially be extra scenes, so in theory should need absolutely minimal loading time.

Fast loading of the ‘next’ preset in a setlist would be another limitation I could live with.

Hi - I have considered those. But I’m not willing to go to a bigger board to accommodate another pedal, so I’m waiting with fingers crossed for Neural to add clock features.

My kludgy solution is to just store presets in my outboard effects with the correct tempos. You end making copies of the same effect, like “delay 120bpm”, “delay 90bpm” etc. I’m not using any time based effects on the QC itself

But yeah, if I had room, an outboard clock would solve it.

Hi - that’s a Schmidt Array board. You can order them in many different sizes, took about 2 months for them to build and deliver. It’s expensive, but I find it worth it. It’s really compact with the 2 levels, and has a detachable lid that’s great for light travel and hauling around

1 Like

Hi - I’m quite sure what you’re looking for in universal volume, but I’ll share what I do in case it helps. I send outputs 1/2 to FOH, and 3/4 to my on stage FRFR cab (just for monitoring). You can assign the big volume knob to various combos of outputs, so I have it assigned to just affect 3/4. That way I can control my stage volume, and FOH just gets a consistent full volume signal that they can mix independently of me

I love your idea of a remote MIDI controller.

I’ll bet you could accomplish this with a Morningstar MC6 or MC8, but you’d of course have to program it.

Thanks Steve, that might do the trick! I wasn’t aware you can assign the volume knob to an expression pedal. Is there a link that explains how to do this?

Oh I didn’t realize you were looking to connect it to an expression pedal. I don’t think that’s possible. Would be a super useful feature though

What I do for that is have a Gain block as the last thing before output and connect that to my expression pedal, but then you have to duplicate it on every preset where you want it.

If you have your 1/2 and 3/4 outputs on different lanes, could have the gain block/pedal only affect one or the other.

I have played around 45 Shows in the past year, and the QC has done a great job so far.
If I could wish for something better, there is just one thing, throw a 19" on the market.
My setup is triggered by midi, so I don’t need to interact with the unit directly during the shows.

I can get through a 90min Set with 8 Settings, so it only needs to change Scenes on one preset during the show. It’s a nice option that more sounds could be triggered, but to be honest, in the mix, nobody will hear if you booster the mids by 1db in difference from one song to another.

The QC is a solid, reliable and good-sounding piece of gear.
IMHO it is just sad that it doesn’t exist in a 19" format - it is just not cool to place the sound-processing unit of 1’600.- on the flor, but this is just my personal feeling.

2 Likes

I think this thread really shows that Neural DSP could stand to add more advanced MIDI control over the Quad Cortex’s functionalities. I hope they add more MIDI control in.

A high-end, studio-grade remote MIDI Controller that many use is the MioXM or MioXL in a separate rack mount behind stage to send MIDI to the pedalboard’s on-board MIDI controller to control the changes via MIDI by a click-track.

Hello Tjbassoon :blush:. Yes I agree. So imagine when they can incorporate Morphing in the QC , like in the Kemper. Just one preset or two, and you can save the night :guitar:. Have a great time.

i wish we could customise each pedal to do anything more like other modellers. would be great to see this on the screen and not have to run a midi cable from the QC to itself.

2 Likes

These are all great suggestions and feedback! I would recommend to (search first) add a feature requests so that they can be voted on and prioritized for implementation. :slight_smile:

Does NDSP take into account multiple threads there with the same feature request? For example, there’s a feature I would like, but there are two threads with slightly different descriptions for the same feature, each with roughly 60 and 100 votes on them. This is quite annoying because I fear NDSP may be overlooking popular feature requests due to this problem. Does NDSP see those as 160 votes? Or is it seen separately?

It is on the OP to first search to ensure they aren’t duplicating existing requests also, there is the ability to merge requests when necessary. The feature requests could be designed a bit better IMO but this is what NDSP has provided for owners currently and based on previous updates, some requests have been added based on priority from the owners so the process seems to work as far as I can tell.

Something for the looper on live settings would be great. I have a couple of ideas.

1. A mode where you can change presets for the active lead while sustaining the looper function (maybe making the looper an overall feature instead of adding as an individual “pedal” on each grid)
  2. The loopers main loop limits the range of the overdubs, if you want to play a section one loop and the next one another it´s not gonna work, the way they go around it is by duplicating but the duplicating has to rerecord the main loops to extend it which has you sitting there in silence for however long the main loop lasts until it extends. having it duplicate instantly would be great though idk if its possible

This is my current “live performance” setup.
Signal chain is Guitar → Vol → QC Compressor → QC “Myth drive” → Neural Capture Green side of Browne Protein → Neural capture Blue side of Browne Protein → loop 1 (GFI Synesthesia) → 3 different QC delays: ¼ tape, short repeat dual ¼ + dotted ⅛, long repeat dual ¼ + dotted ⅛ → loop 2 (GFI Specular Tempus) → QC Hall verb (light/moderate); Signal is split in stereo into a 90s Korg AC30 capture and a 67 Vibrolux capture. Really love the sound.

If you couldn’t tell, I’m a weekend warrior on Sunday mornings at our church. I use the QC in stomp mode with captured drives & QC delays assigned to foot switches on the QC; and the Morningstar MC6 mkii controls presets for both GFI pedals. I use a global tempo clock from the QC (via midi out-> thru the MC6 to set tempo in the QC delays, and any modulation/reverb effects that use it). It runs pretty flawlessly for that. I am using the QC onboard tuner which gets the job done, but I don’t love it (missing my TC polytune)
This setup is obviously more than adequate and I have all of my bases covered.

But I kind of miss my overdrive pedals, and here’s the midi part - I am really missing my empress echosystem. I love the tape delays on that unit. Anyway…

I guess I was wondering if I could “expand” my above setup, to re-add my drive pedals, and use the QC foot switches to activate presets on the echosystem delay pedal via midi? So the MC6 would still be dedicated to GFI pedals, but the QC could turn on/off echosystem delay presets while in stomp mode?