Update to graphics

Does anyone else absolutely love the plug-in graphics but feel the QC graphics are meh? Imagine how extra cool the QC would be with a similar graphics level as the plugins. Not sure if it is possible but my QC has more than 20GB of free space so could store some amp or background images.

Several months ago this came up in one of the discussions about plug-in compatibility–whether plug-ins ported to the QC would show up like regular QC blocks or if the QC touchscreen would actually show the plug-ins’ GUI. [Neural have since confirmed they’re going with blocks.]

However, the QC’s touchscreen doesn’t have very high resolution. Rad idea, but I think the execution would be limited.

2 Likes

Yes I kind of thought this, because if Neural could use fancy graphics on the QC they would have done it already, as they are masters of aesthetically pleasing plugins.

I think the design goal for the QCs UI was a clean, streamlined, easy to use, yet modern interface. And they did pretty good on that. I love the interface and the fact that there isn’t any unnecessary fancy graphics. IMO that would reduce the clarity of the UI just to have some graphics without any real added value - I think one would get quickly get “used” to it and the wow effect is gone after a few days. If neural ever adds some amp head graphics etc. I would want it to be optional by a software switch in the device settings.

6 Likes

I would vote for it if it was optional. The second better graphics lead to other problems, I am out. But optional design changes would be great for sure.

2 Likes

I prefer the utility of the QC graphics as they are. It’s nice to enjoy the details of a good render on a computer screen, but the QC viewer is too small.

2 Likes

I wish I could play Skyrim on it

5 Likes

Absolutely not. I would be disappointed if they wasted time on fancy graphics. Functionally, it would just make it harder to read and use, and waste space on the screen. The new fender is a good example. If they didn’t have the scribble strips, using the knobs would be awful. Now it’s easy to see which encoder controls which parameter on the qc.

They should continue improving the current UI. I would like to see some way of differentiating modulation and delay types for example. Also, folders for captures would be a huge improvement.

6 Likes

Most needed improvement: Dim LEDs (instead of off) for inactive scenes. :raised_hands:

4 Likes

I think there is a mid-point - the current graphics on QC do not convey enough information: yes, it’s a delay, but which type of delay?, it’s a pedal capture, but which captured pedal is it?

So I would not want to see the wasted space of plug-ins rich graphics. But improving the current blocks to have more information - even user upload-able low-res images or icon for captures.

2 Likes

Would be cool to differentiate more between the icons but it would need a unique icon for every pedal or at least every pedal category… That would make a lot of icons, and I doubt that everybody could tell which icon represents which exact pedal. E.g. how should different drive pedal icons be different enough from one another to enable users to say “ah yes thats clearly this one specific drive pedal”. An icon that small can probably simply not carry enough information to make this possible. It would be awesome IF and only if they find a way without cluttering the UI (that I like a lot because it’s streamlined as it is).

User generated Icons is not a good idea… I bet that most User generated Icons will probably be pretty ugly and won’t fit nicely into the UIs design language.

1 Like

Fair enough. But a simple way would be to allow for a 3-4 letter overlay.
“BSA” at bottom of a Neural Capture Pedal icon would tell me it is the Black Stone Appliance.

2 Likes

Absolutely agree and have made similar posts. The icons do not convey enough info and could be better. Things get particularly bad when you are looking at a broad category like “Modulation” where you may be looking at any of a wide range of different effects (is that a chorus or a tremolo?). Capture icons, as mentioned, could also convey much more useful graphic/visual information. They have made strides in that area, but more could be done.

Allowing text and custom icons would be great. Would love to be able to hover over an icon and have it show me the precise block name. Neural pretty much followed the Line6 playbook for the icons when instead, I had hoped both companies would improve on this. Grouping large numbers of vastly different types of blocks under a few vague category icons cannot possibly be the endgame for displaying a path in tomorrow’s modelers.

You can see other modeler companies making an effort at more eye-catching approaches, or at least including a bit of text, that make it easier to differentiate between blocks at a glance. Pleasing to the eye and helpful. Would be nice to see improvements pursued on icons on the QC (after more critical features have been addressed). Don’t mean to come off as critical, just think this approach to icon display has reached its shelf life and would really benefit from enhancement.

This is why I’m loving the new Fender Tonemaster Pro GUI. Wish NDSP would use that style of icon instead of the weird hieroglyphics.

No, please. I would hate to have this useless eye candy kinda graphics. It wouldn’t make the core functionality (tones) any better but would clutter the UI and steal manpower from other more important features (like more amps) that could be added. :confused:

3 Likes