Standalone Apps looses Asio Connection

Hi All

i´m a fairly new member in the Neural DSP Club :wink: the last weekend i demoed a couple of neural dsp plugins and just purchased fortin cali suite and darklass ultra because of their awesomness!

the plugins (VST3) work very nicely in my DAW (Cubase 10.5 Pro, at 64 Samples) but dont run as good as standalone.
when i´m using the standalone apps (no matter for which one, i tried abasi, fortin cali suite, darkglass ultra, paralax) the standalone app looses the audiointerface asio connection after almost every action (switching presets, turning some knobs, etc), if i dont change settings, the programm runs fine for long time, but as soon as i switch the preset, or try to change a parameter… boom…connection gone and error message.

what i do to solve this issue: go into the preferences, change the audio input to another input and change back and it works again.
this happens with each bufferrate, from 64 to 1024samples and at 44.1khz as well as 48khz

i´m using quite a few other standalone programms like from toontrack (superior drummer 3, EZ Piano) and many from native instruments and dont have these issues there.

my setup:
I9 9900K with designare Z390 mainboard with thunderbolt, 64GB of RAM
UA Apollo Quad Interface with Thundbolt
ASIO Thunderbolt drivers
Win10 1903

needless to say, my computer is already optimized for audio performances (no background tasks, energy settings, network disabled, etc) and i get a splendid performance in overall

hope you can help / fix this issue as i also really want to use the standalone apps properly
thanks
Chrrz

Hi @chrrz. Thank you for notifying us.

This seems to be caused by an incompatibility problem between the ASIO protocol, the Plug-In engine, and some Thunderbolt interfaces in Windows systems. It can affect Amp simulators from multiple brands since almost every audio application uses the ASIO protocol to work properly under Windows systems.

Everyone involved is already notified about this. Hopefully, this will be fixed in the near future.

1 Like

Hi @Gonzalo

thank you very much for your swift reply, i´m glad this topic is already noted.
Keep the fingers crossed for a fix in the future

all the best
chrrz

1 Like

@GonzaloThis is the same issue i was talkign about…

I have the same issue, pretty much exactly the same pc specs,with a twin x instead.
Its seams to be ok in Cubase VST mode but unusable as standalone. Works like you say, and then just drops out completly after about 7-11mins

1 Like

@jon.wesgate If it’s the same issue described above, then I’m afraid you’ll have to wait for a driver update that fixes it. As far as I know, UAD have already been notified by another developer.

Some users have been able to mitigate it by doing general optimization tips (including the ones mentioned on the UAD guides), and running the standalone on normal oversampling, but eventually, there will be a resynchronization request made by the driver. After that, the audio thread never fully recovers and you need to press “reset device” to make it work again.

1 Like

thank you very much for the update @Gonzalo and sharing some more details
would it be also possible that Neural DSP reports this to Universal Audio, the more that request this bugfix, the sooner (or ever) this will happen hopefully.

1 Like

still what makes me curious, why some standalone applications dont have this issue and work fine.

for example, all the toontrack products i use (Superior Drummer 3, EZ Keys, EZ Bass), Native Instruments (Kontakt, Massive, FM8, Absynth, Guitarrig) run fine, even something like Ploque Bidule is running very smoothly and never disconnects.
last night, just for testing purpose, i played with NI Guitar Rig 5 for half an hour without a single issue, yeah, the sound was very dated :wink: haha, but just to see if the problem will here occure too, but it didnt. i frequently jam to superior drummer 3 standalone and it runs for hours.
so these companies somehow figured out how to solve this issue, or maybe are using a different ASIO SDK, i dont know.

I understand why you would think that. I think it’s frequent with more demanding applications that are prone to experience audio dropouts, thus triggering the resynchronization request and by consequence, the loss of sound. However, it has been reported with other applications. There’s also a thread discussing this issue here.

This is the only driver that seems to exhibit this behavior. By our end, there’s nothing that could be causing this issue with just one specific driver from one manufacturer.