Speakers for Quad Cortex

Thanks for your review! I am a former Kemper guy and had the Kabinet but never tried it with the QC before I sold it. The mission looks cool but the weight is a turn off for sure. My friend has a friedman 10” frfr that is also heavy so not sure which direction to go…

Are you in US? If not, the Harley Benton FRFR supposedly sounds great and great price as well. Otherwise it’s around $130 to ship to the US last I checked

I have the Electro Voice PXM-12MP and with a little high and low cut they sound pretty close to my studio monitors.

I have a guitar cab with a Jenson N12D, powered by a Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170.
With the FM3 I didn’t like this speaker at all. But with the QC I think I have found my “Small but flexible” Power-Rig.
Its not 100% FRFR. But you feed it the fullrange sound including cab-sim. And honestly it sounds pretty good.
I haven’t had the chance to turn it up to rehearsal loudness though. Which is where I think often some solutions that sound great at home fall flat.

Thanks MP_Mod, didn’t know about that one. Thomann makes pretty good stuff against reasonable costs. I see the the cab has a resonance and presence knob which could do bit same as Gemini does with adding tweeter at lower volumes.
I decided to order the Stereo version and see how it goes against the Gemini2.
Soundwise Gemini2 is perfect, but still bit large and heavy… and 6 times the price haha…
Worth a shot!!

1 Like

The line 6 Powercab is also pretty good. Check out Raezer’s Edge as well.

Using a Freyette PS100 for the poweramp, into a lightweight MojoTone 1x12 cab with a Celestion F12 X200.

1 Like

If you try a Powercab with QC, try using Mode: Flat, Voicing: LF Raw. This is just a powered guitar speaker, no tweeter, no EQ, no speaker models, no cab block in QC. The Powercab Eminence speaker actually sounds pretty good as a guitar speaker. I find this works very well.

2 Likes

I’ve had a great experience using the Kemper Kabs (two in stereo) with the QC and a UA Ox.
I bypass the QC cab sims as they do not sound good using the Kemper Kabs.

I essentially run a mono Class D Amp (H&K stompman) Speaker Out into the Ox amp input and attenuate that 100%. I then take the Line Outs of the OX into a SD Powerstage 700 stereo amp which then feeds each of the Kabs. The Ox cab sims just sounds amazing through the Kemper Kabs.
It’s a bit of a setup but it does sound amazing.

Raezers Edge… Tuned and ported jazz cabs. Now an “frfr”, “stereo” combo for my QC. I’m looking for something that gives me a sense of my tube amps and takes advantage of left and right outs on the QC. I liked the demos and the history of Rich Raezer. I’m gonna give this a shot.

1 Like

I’ve tried different solution, but maybe the last one fit the best for my need

• I’ve 4x12 VHT with Laboga Mr Hector head, in the loop return, best sound but not praticable to transport, just for the fun at home
  • HeadRush 112 : Too bassy, didn’t like it, miss the punch
  • return of small H&K tubemeinster 18 combo : very portable, but didn’t handle well big distorsion (10" speaker won’t help)
  • return of Fender Hot rod III : Nice solution, but maybe a little too vintage with the speaker
  • return of Engl Screamer 50 combo : Portable but a little heavy, Great sound, fit to my need with modern sound

I’m using a GRGuitar AT210 - very happy with the “guitar cab feel” and weight.

1 Like

GR Guitar frfrs. No pricing at GR Guitars. The guitar cabinets are not listed at Sonata Marketing. At least I could not find them, I found bass cabs.

Got one of the first one in Switzerland. They have a distributor list by country - I don’t think many retailers have them yet.

Yes I went to the distributor site for US. All they have is GR Bass. Could not find prices. I really am not impressed with the carbon fiber construction. Light weight but just not wood. I have a molded frfr right now and the tone is just not right.
I have already purchased a US produced amp/cab, Raezer’s Edge, spruce ply construction, waiting for delivery. Hope my quest is over… For now.

Personally, I am all for seeing the weight in PA and guitar/bass cabinets reduced. Especially if they can retain a great tone. Unless the materials used get lighter, let’s just say it doesn’t get any easier with each passing year to move equipment.

Carbon fiber looks incredibly promising, producing cabinets that are half as heavy as their plywood/“tonewood” counterparts. Particularly significant if you like stereo cabs. Lightweight cabs are the last frontier for lightening the load at gigs. Subwoofers, often heavy beasts, would benefit as well. Mixers (with built-in FX instead of stacks of outboard racks) have gotten lighter, modelers are significantly lighter than many amps, even powered cabs (especially with neodymium speakers) are lighter than, for example, the multiple Crown amps and passive speakers that used to be required for a PA.

However, PA and guitar/bass cabs tend to still be one of, if not the heaviest elements to carry to a performance. It is critical to maintain excellent tone as we reduce weight, but we may want to be cautious when it comes to too much cork-sniffing when it comes to plywood vs. birch vs. carbon fiber vs. etc…

Interesting video in the link below on cab comparison. Not sure if the science is 100% comprehensive or correct but it is certainly more so than many comparison videos I have seen. Appears that the type of speaker used, and size of the cabinet, or even the type of grill-cloth, have a lot more to do with the tone than the cabinet material. If that’s true, bring on the lightweight cabs!

1 Like

Heh, DIY :nerd_face:

Carbon Fiber Spherical Guitar/bass Speaker Cabinet - Instructables

Raezer’s Edge seems nice!

AS for GR Guitar, I was a bit worried but in fact I’ve been quite impressed with the full carbon construction. I can sit on my 2x10 (and I’m 220lbs) and it doesn’t flinch, no flex whatsoever. I’ve also played GR Bass cabs (see Ed Friedland’s review below) and they hold their own very well.

Tried the thomann harley benton 2x12frfr
also pretty large and deep.
good to have resonance and presence knobs to dial in some master eq
can be tilted, but thats a bit too direct sound for me

some tones pretty ok but then switching profiles and can be totally not ok. flat uninspring thin, I’m pretty surprised what a huge difference frfr can make. day and night.

so even though the gemini2 is too large and expensive i stick to the gemini2. It’s very inspiring to play and works with every QC profile and profiler. nice good punch without being bass boomy and empower on 65% to keep some guitar cab response without loosing highs
I like the stereo spread in 1 box concept which is enough spread for guitar effects to sound full and think they really did something special with integrating the tweeter in the woofer… seem to work

so yeah i give up the search … hooked to the sound of the gemini2

Bottom line… How does it feel in your hands? Does it make you want to play?