Speakers for Quad Cortex

Thank you very much Torsten! I’ll check that out soon and then I’ll keep you informed about the result of Kone with QC

I just sold my CLR. Sounded very boxy compared to the Headrush or Yamaha dry-10 which I currently use. My advise is stay away from the CLR. Plus it’s no where near as powerful and ither of the previous mentioned.

Thanks…yeah I tell you, the headrush is amazing sound/dollar and I’d love to hear them side by side. I’ll just say that it may have been the CLR that caused me to ditch modeling a couple years ago. I just couldn’t get it dialed in like I wanted. No problem on that front with the Headrush or the EV. So, I don’t think I’m looking for a speaker anymore, anyway. I have the Headrush for home and the EV if I need anything louder. I use in-ears anyway so speaker is just for stage fill essentially. There was a case where one of my ear buds died and it was nice to have the monitor on that side and my working ear bud on the other. That was a gig playing with pros too, so it would have tripped me out but with that, I just popped the earpiece out and never missed a beat.

Are you guys using the 10” or 12” Headrush?

I have the 8” but FWIW find it under powered for our rehearsals with acoustic drums (that said, is a really live room—a garage ;), so it’s a bit louder than one with wood and carpet). Fortunately I don’t do that often but now also have an EV wedge that sounds similar. Both are nice to help dial in tones and ultimately I also use studio monitors as part of that process. I use IEMs at gigs so I don’t usually gig with a speaker…when I do, I take the EV.

Hmmm actually I went back and compared them and the FRFR108 is boomier than the EV monitor, which has a 12 in it! Both still sound good to me.

I have a 1x12" Cabinet with the Celestion F12M 150 Powered with a ICE Power 250ASX amp Module
sounds great and is loud

Interesting, how did you wire up the amp module?

its really simple you have an ac input , line input and speaker out
all written in the manual how to wire, and you can buy a cable set for all in and outs
in the back of the cab i put a combi plate which houses an ac switch power input and the jack input

1 Like

Great! Thanks for the update and picture! Seems pretty simple! I might try to make a stereo setup :slight_smile:

Maybe a little late here, but I had the asc-12. Exactly the same, but in guitar cab form instead of wedge. I used it with my now sold Kemper. It was a bit dark, and heavy! So I sold that too. Now that I am in QC land, I may go with a Yamaha DXR10. Still deciding.

I’m using QSC K12. Love it!

i use the Laney LFR-212 and love the sound coming out of it… i think i maybe buy a second one to go stereo !

1 Like

I just did similar - I have an old Vox AD120VTX and replaced the speakers with 2 x F12m-150’s (triple cone FRFR), then first step just plugged into the stereo returns (bypasses all the controls except master and attenuator) to act like a power amp. I only tried one amp profile (Gibson Skylark) and it sounded so good I played solid 2 hours.

I did the same with my Kemper during lockdown (inserted Kemper Kones), but now power that cab with a Seymour Duncan Powerstage 700 . They sounds really magical.

Not sure which is best.

I am totally spoiled for in the room tone.

To make my Boxy adventure more interesting. I purchased Celestion F12M-150 (frfr) speakers, so that I now have two identical cabs - 1 with Kemper Kones and 1 with F12M-150’s.

Even through the F12M’s the Quad Cortex is boxy (flat, washed out, little bass).

If I put the Kemper thru the F12M’s it is not Boxy and sounds great.

I can make the Quad Cortex sound good on any system, but each requires a lot of EQ adjustment. And never sounds as good as the Kemper thru the Kones.

Also, just like the Kemper, it depends on the profile, and each one needs tweaking to suit the setup. Very little works out of the box.

I find that QC is not in same league as Kemper when ot comes to external FRFR speakers. Whether I use Kones or celestion F12m-150s if i plug Kemper into either it sounds great regardless or which wierd options I go for - in the room - QC Into either is boxy, very un dynamic and lifeless. QC got some catching up with Kemper still. Those initial reviews of QC I think a bit unfair.

Well I find that every Kemper I’ve ever heard sounds flat & lifeless regardless of what it’s hooked up to …so there’s that; different ears I guess!?:upside_down_face:

1 Like

Have you even tried the QC with a reasonably linear FRFR speaker? Maybe there’s something about your specific cabs (resonances etc) that just goes better with the sounds you have on your Kemper?

Also: don’t discount hearing accommodation: after some time of getting used to a certain sound, everything different sounds strange/weird. After some time of getting used to the different sound, the old sound suddenly is the strange one. Happened to a couple of guitarists I know - after a year of playing Kemper, suddenly their old amp sounds bad to them…

Remember that the Kone is specifically built to make the Kemper sound like an amp in the room. The QC through FRFR speakers is supposed like a miked amp through PA speakers - different animal! You are hearing what the audience is hearing, not the typical amp sound on-stage.

I have gotten so used to the “miked amp” sound that I don’t like a classic “amp-in-a-room” sound anymore - I hear far more precisely what the final product is going to be in the audience and what effects are doing to the sound.

But for the combination of modeling/profiling and “amp-in-the-room” sound, Kemper have probably the best combination with their Kone / Kabinet products at the moment.

3 Likes

@ToH2002 is exactly right.

Go find a nice JBL EON612 on reverb or something like it. You’ll adjust your patches and your playing because you’re hearing what they are hearing and then you can be sure they are hearing the exact tone you really want them to hear.

3 Likes