Speakers for Quad Cortex

Yep that feature I noticed, along with being a small stereo active cab
How loud is it like in tube amp terms?
Could it keep up with a loud band?

good question. If you switch the preamp on, it is pretty loud and it will definitely hang with a normal drummer. In tubed terms, I would compare it to a 12 watter, but this is very subjective. When you have the Blueamps cranked up, it will hurt your ears. Same happens when you turn a princeton up to 11 o‘clock, because then it will start to compress a lot. If you use the Blueamps as a monitor it does have more volume than you need. In a loud club as the only source for guitar you will need rather 35 tube watts and more. Marco can give you the details in exact numbers.

2 Likes

I’m using the Friedman ASC- 10 and like it very much. I watched this video and I didn’t need a reason to go for the 12 after seeing the video.

1 Like

Running mine through a JBL Eon One compact. Love it. Had a headrush FRFR and sold it as i found it too boomy. Also had the laney cab but sold that too as its hard to beat the sound, functionality and size of the JBL Eon. Tempted to get another to run in stereo

The Kemper Kone by itself is not “flat response” - the Kemper has a compensation curve built in so it can be made to sound flat, but that’s not happening with any other modeller. So it’s to be expected that it will sound weird with any other modeler. Kemper are very explicit about that fact and don’t recommend using the Kone with other modelers.

1 Like

Thanks, makes sense. I heard other folk had good results. I guess find an IR that mirrors the imprints in the Kemper, if such a thing exists.

Hmmm - you’d need an IR that reverses / neutralizes the characteristic frequency spectrum of the Kone (not the Kemper imprints - these are specific IRs added on top of that “neutralizing” IR). If this existed, it would essentially create a “flat” output curve from the Kone. Then add to that you personal favorite target IR - you’d have to essentially use TWO IRs in sequence in the QC to make sense of the Kone…

I bought the Laney LFR-212 for my QC to use in band rehearsals. Sadly this amazing looking BIG and HEAVY cab isn’t powerfull enough in a rock/metal band context.

Sure, I can turn the Level knob even higher, than it was, but the problem is that the Clip Warning Light starts to blink. Not enough juice!

Gotta say guys! My Headrush FR108 got louder.

1 Like

I’m genuinely surprised by this, I’ve been using mine at the halfway point on volume for nearly a year now and it’s perfect for on-stage backline volume. Enough reference for the band without becoming a problem for FOH. Sorry to hear it’s not worked out for you!

So after having the Laney FRFR212 I decided to return it. I was just using it for home use and every time I switched to it from a real speaker cab or my studio monitors it just sounds boxy. You can try to EQ it but it still just sounded boxy at the end the day.

I’m genuinely surprised at these Laney comments, I thought from reading previous comments in a few threads it was the best bang for your buck speaker

I’ve owned an Atomic CLR in the past and really liked it (I got frustrated with modeling and went back to my amp). Now completely committed to amp modeling (I’ve sold all my amps, pedals, cabs), there are no CLRs to be found. Thus, I decided to try floor wedges, and in particular those with tweeters firing through the center of the woofer. First shot was the Turbosound TFX122m-an, which I borrowed from a friend. Not bad, but not great. Next I got an EV PXM-12mp…definitely better, and since the Turbosounds are not available at present, and I found a great deal on the other, I bought an EV. I figure this will hold me until the CLR or something else is available, and it is nice to have when tweaking sounds. I now start with my studio monitors, then listen through the EV wedge, my IEM, and then a Headrush 108. If it sounds reasonably good in all of those (better in some than others) it seems to sound great in a PA.

Hello, this is my first post here since I’m a Kemper user waiting for my Quad Cortex to arrive. I wonder if it would work to capture the Kone Imprints of my Kemper (switch OFF amp and all effects, only activate the speaker section in a neutral “cable” profile), first flat, then all the different speaker imprints to use it later with my Quad Cortex.
If that works, it would be possible to use all the functionalita of the Kemper Kone/ Kabinet with the Quad Cortex :thinking:

Interesting approach - if you capture the output of the Kemper monitor port, you could definitely “sample” the frequency spectrum of the Kemper processing, so if you feed any signal through that capture, it would play nice with the Kone. With the “clean” capture, you could essentially create a FRFR response.

I’d say that using a QC capture for this would be a bit of overkill - a capture is more than just the frequency spectrum; it also captures the distortion / overdrive properties, which you’d not really need.

The easier way would be to capture an IR through the Kemper and then use that in a speaker block in the QC - this would actually be the “reverse IR” for the Kemper Kone.

Generating an IR from the Kemper should be pretty straightforward: you can use a tool like the Voxengo Impulse Response Deconvolver to create a test signal that you can load into your DAW and process through the Kemper. Then you record the processed signal and load the result into the Deconvolver, which can then generate an Impulse response from it. You should be able to use this created IR in a speaker block in the QC. Speaker IRs should require significantly less processing power than full captures.

In theory, this should work - would be interesting to hear if this is actually working in practice!

Cheers,

Torsten

Thank you Torsten, guess you are right.
I’ll (hopefully) receive the QC in 3 weeks, then I’ll start with that experiment.
But what do you think, for a first trial, would it work with a capture? As far as I know it is possible to use several captures serial…?
Is it possible to turn OFF the speaker in a QC capture and replace it with an IR?

I currently use a pair of Yamaha DXR-10’s that I do like, but I was thinking that I might do better with some other setup. I was also considering ordering a pair of the EV PXM-12MP’s you mentioned. I saw a number of posts praising how good they were. Sounds like you are still planning to replace the EV with a CLR. I assume you are finding it less than spectacular or you wouldn’t be looking to replace it.

Not necessarily. To your point, I should probably compare this to a CLR. I really think it is pretty good. Now, I don’t know if this will taint your view of my opinion, but I think the Headrush 108 sounds really good and the EV wedge is similar, but with more power and a CPU that offers more flexibility (tho it is currently set flat). My thinking is that the EV sounds more like a PA speaker and thus tweaking to that should make my rig sound better in a PA. To those who might say “let the soundman handle that,” I sometimes have to work with guys that don’t have a great ear, so I want to be able to just suggest that they chop below 80Hz and above 8K and it will sound pretty good. FWIW, I’ve done a few gigs with really good sound guys recently and they’ve all said that they didn’t have to do anything to it! (I’m assuming that means they probably chopped the top and bottom similar to the above but didn’t need to tweak the tone of my rig at all?).

1 Like

@DumarDrake What’s your budget and use case?

Something for home? Studio? Live?

Competing with the family TV or a wall of half-stacks?

Roadworthy?

I see a lot of stage-friendly suggestions in the replies, but few focusing on studio use.

these are great speakers

I don’t think you’ll see much difference unless you pay big money

Nope - this works differently from the Kemper: a capture on the QC can be a lot of different things: an amp only (DI’d), an amp with speaker and mic, a full chain of stomp, amp, speaker, or just simply a captured stompbox. Unlike the Kemper, you can use multiple captures in a setup, in parallel or in sequence. There is no way to “subtract” the speaker part from a capture like the Kemper can do - a capture always remains as it was captured. But most of the factory captures are made without a cab to allow for more flexibility.

But if you want to use a Kemper monitor capture instead of an IR, you can certainly do that; you simply use either a modeled amp or a DI capture without cab, then place your Kemper capture after that - done! Capturing and using an IR (inside a speaker block) would just be a bit more resource-efficient, that’s all.

Cheers,

Torsten