Speakers for Quad Cortex

I use Yamaha DBR10 cuz its light, loud and sounds great, BUT

If I did not need as much portability I would have gone with Laney LFR212 which IMO is THE speaker for modelers

1 Like

I went ahead and ordered the LFR212. It’s 15% with a coupon that Guitar Center sent out.

1 Like

What the volume like? I’m looking for something that can be low volume at home but also be loud enough for a Metal band

It’s an 800w cab and I only ever run it at the halfway point at the most. I’d say it’s loud enough haha :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

I’m using the Mimic 212 from Blueamps. Awesome!
High authenticity of sounds, very linear.

1 Like

Has anyone run it through a power amp and a normal guitar cabinet? Curious about my options playing live.

Here’s mine. It’s an Orange Pedal Baby on a DIY cab built around the Celestion F12-X200 using their plans.

In terms of components and materials it came to about $750 USD.

2 Likes

I’ve done that, and it works fine. Just one caveat: bypass any speaker/cab emulation in the unit, otherwise it will sound terrible. Your amp’s real speaker/cab is doing that work for you.

Also, unless your physical amp is fairly transparent, you might also want to bypass the virtual amp in the unit, since your amp is adding its own color. At which point the QC is basically a fancy pedal board.

That’s what I was thinking, as well… turning off the cab sim. Thanks for the reply!

Crown K2 into Accugroove El Whappo here
Well that’s what I used for my Kemper, it handles bass and guitar equally well
I’m atm running the QC into my Herbert’s switchable fx loop return, into a Recto cab

Thinking of going Powerstage 700 into a Barefaced Big Twin II Gen3 instead for FRFR
A little lighter and smaller, and a truer flat response, Alex is a first class engineer
Both the power efficiency and the stage diffusion sound incredible

I can’t get a Mission Engineering Gemini here in Oz, or I might consider that also

Hello, is it true that the Headrush FRFR’s sound bad? I like their portability, but I wouldn’t compromise with my sound.

I bought the Headrush 112 FRFR speaker and sent it back. It just had way too much low-end for my liking, it sounded like I was playing through a subwoofer and for the styles of music I play (progress/djent) too much bass isn’t ideal. I ended up getting the Laney LFR 112 instead and it rocks.

1 Like

I ended up buying the LFR-212 and it rocks as well.

2 Likes

Before I pull the trigger on this laney cab, what’s the verdict on 1x12 vs 2x12 in the FRFR world? The reason i ask is because I’ve had a 212 orange cab before and actually I’ve found 112 to often sound more open (if you know what I mean) but I’m not sure the same applies to FRFR and it stacked on top of each other anyway and want more stereo. Can anyone elaborate because it seems like there’s a bit of a mix on here of 112 and 212. Thanks

1 Like

Curious about this as well. From what I heard, 2x12 can move more air but is also more susceptible to phase-cancellation in the highs.

Given that FRFR cabs have actual tweeters and are thus capable of a slightly more uniform directional frequency response, I would expect the phase-cancellation issues to be that much more pronounced.

The Blueamps Junior Ex stereo active cab (my version has a preamp plus EQ built in for quick adjustments, I recommend this add-on). I had high class FRFR cabs like the Dynacord AXM 12 (someone in this thread liked it better than the Gemini), two Xitiones and a pair of Red Sound Elis 8 (a bit mid heavy but real amp push). Still was not happy. Then the Blueamps Junior Ex stereo, 2 x 500 W I believe, only 40 x 40 x 25 cm, 13.5 kg, perfectly flat response, 55 hz to 22 khz. Custom built. This is the best FRFR cab I ever had, I can use it also with acoustic guitars where my other FRFR cabs failed. It is expensive, 949 Euros + 150 for the extra EQ, but worth every penny. Mine looks like a fine tweed amp. And yes, mine (preamp included) is loud enough to hang with a drummer. Easily. Marco is a gem to work with, answers straight away, he also delivers to the US and other parts outside of Europe.
https://www.en.blueamps.de/products/junior-ex/

2 Likes

I have Kemper Kones I use with my Kemper and with the QC it lacks bottom end and boxy - not very realistic at all.

1 Like

I’d like to know this aswell but moreso for a volume perspective

Is it universal power like Kemper/Axe-fx ie 110-240V and 50-60hZ?

How long does the build take?

I don’t know about universal power. What I do know is, he built cabs for customers in the US (guitarist of Steely Dan) and Australia, so this should not be a problem. The build time of mine was around two or three weeks. At the moment we have supply issues everywhere in the industry, so take that with a grain of salt. Just go on Bluemaps website and write Marco an email. He normally responds within hours, it should not take longer than one day (today is a bank holiday). I advise to have a custom built in EQ added.

2 Likes