Reverb Tails Change Volume During Scene Switch

I was playing around last night and noticed something for the first time and it seems like a bug. In scene mode, if I switch from scene B that has a Mind Hall on at say 8% mix with tails on, and switch to Scene A where that reverb is bypassed, but the volume on the bypassed reverb is set to 35%, the volume of the tails jumps up to the 35% mix volume instead of tailing off at the 8% of the previous scene.

The fix is setting the volume for the bypassed reverb to be at or below the previous scene. However, if you want that scene to have a higher mix of reverb, you basically can’t go from scene B to A due to the volume jump.

Seems to me that the tails from one scene shouldn’t change volume with a switch to a different setting in another scene. Especially if the other scene has the reverb bypassed.

Seems to me like it is doing exactly what it should, but that’s not the way you want it to work?
If you switch scenes, the settings should always switch to those of the new scene. Others might want to use that function for interesting effects. E.g. setting a delay (or even reverb) to 100% feedback but bypassing it so that you can play over it.

Can you not just have two reverb blocks and switch between them?

I’m not sure how switching to a bypassed reverb makes the tails from the previous reverb all of a sudden jump in volume. I can’t think of a single use for something like that. Ideally, you’d want the previous reverb you were on to just fade off into nothing. Not all of a sudden do a hard cut jump up +10dbs when you didn’t even want reverb on in that other scene in the first place. This doesn’t seem like it’s supposed to work this way at all.

I don’t see any problem in the behavior of the trails. In this scenario you described, why not set Scene A mix to 8% so going from Scene B to A keeps the same volume on the trails?

1 Like

The scene i’m switching to has a bypassed reverb. Why would the volume of the bypassed reverb effect the tails of the other scenes tails? And I did change the volume of the bypassed reverb and it fixed the issue. But then you’d need a 2nd reverb just to have it louder in that scene if you wanted to turn it on with a stomp or something. It’s just bizarre behavior. I was very surprised to hear the previous scenes trails make a huge jump in volume when changing scenes instead of fading out underneath.

When you add blocks to the grid, they are active whether bypassed or not. In the case of delays and reverbs with trails (or “spillover”) activated, they are still actively responding the parameters set in the controls. So when you boost the mix control during bypass, the trails will respond accordingly.

By the way, this behavior is not exclusive to QC. I keep a Boss DD-500, Boss RE-2, and EQD Astral Destiny on my pedalboard along with the QC and they all exhibit the same “active processing” behavior during bypass spillover, including the mix control. I’m sure maaaaany more spillover-equipped pedals also do this.

1 Like

I am able to replicate your results. Changing the reverb’s ‘Mix’ parameter between scenes can definitely change the volume of the trails from the prior scene significantly. Tried this with the delay trails as well btw.

I have to agree with the OP. I don’t know if the architecture requires the trails to work this way, but it is definitely not optimal IHMO. The ideal behavior from my point of view is that the trails should continue to operate with the prior scene’s parameter settings, whether the scene you are switching to has the reverb bypassed or not. Only a fresh striking of the string(s) in the new scene should reflect that now current scene’s parameter settings.

I have used trails with snapshots (equivalent to scenes on the QC) on my Helix for years and never really noticed anything like this volume jumping behavior. Maybe I never had a radical enough difference dialed in on the reverb/delay mix settings between scenes, but that seems unlikely. Don’t have my Helix out at the moment but I will be curious to test and see if the behavior is the same. If it is, I can’t believe I never picked up on it.

When you switch to a new scene, the QC is using the settings of the reverb on that new scene. This is exactly what I would expect.

If you switch from a reverb on 10% decay on your first scene, to a bypassed one on 90% decay, I would also expect it to follow that too.

Think there might be a bug in the trails. If I strike an open string once and use the Digital Delay (M) in my first scene with ‘Delay Time’ = 300ms (‘Delay Time’ is assigned to scenes), and switch to a second scene with ‘Delay Time’ = 1016ms (delay bypassed in second scene). I get an almost dotted eighth effect, where the delay in the second scene doesn’t correspond to either scene’s delay time setting. As if I was getting a cumulative effect of the delay from both scenes.

This doesn’t seem right to me. Anyone have an explanation? Or better yet try it and see if you think this should be reported as a bug.

Something like that would work as you are sending several repeats at 300ms into a 1016ms delay. Since 1016 does not divide nicely by 300 it will be a slightly off time rhythm.

Try going from 300 to 900 or 1200. Depending on how quickly the time switches it should settle to the same rhythm.

Bump. Appreciate @tomfs comments and he may well be correct, but I wouldn’t mind seeing some other folks checking out the trails and getting their feedback on how they are operating.

I thought we had this discussion a while back, but maybe it was on a different forum. I’m trying to find it in case there was any good info in it, but honestly I don’t remember exactly what the upshot was-

I’d expect trails would be subject to whatever settings the block changed to; it’s only ONE block, there can only be one setting at a time. Like when analog delay types create the pitch-warble when the time is adjusted; the block has to obey the setting change. I always thought the trails applied to the ‘on/bypassed’ aspect, not whether parameters changed.

1 Like