Reduce lag time between presets

For the most part all sounds can be accommodated within the 8 scenes of a single preset. But this isn’t always the case and if you need to change preset during a song the lag is just unbearably long. Surely there is a way for this to be fixed

When switching presets, every block has to be loaded. That’s why it “lags”. This already improved a while ago (not sure which update it was), but Neural said that it will always be there.
To my knowledge, there is no modeler that doesn’t have this “issue”. I guess it’s just the way it is.

3 Likes

Workflow is the best way to work around this issue. Generally, change presets between songs. The lag won’t matter in this case. Use snapshots to change a lot of things within a patch for a specific tone or section of a song. Use stomps to change things on the fly.

2 Likes

It’ll always be there, but its noticeably longer on the QC than the Helix. Sometimes the bridge just really needs to be quite different and it would be great if the drop out could get down into the sub 100ms range. I was able to play to the preset change with the Helix, but it just sounds like I’m making mistakes if I try to change presets mid-song on the QC.

1 Like

You can’t find a 1/4 second gap in a song to change a preset? Listen for a pause in the guitar part and hit the switch. Not a big deal.

Due to the high processing power available, I can handle everything with scenes.

For most songs, I don’t have to change amp models, just amp settings.
And even for the songs which need more than one amp model, I just put all of them into the preset and build scenes that switch these amp models.
I can easily put three (or even more) amp models or captures in one preset and this is more than I need.

On the other hand, I believe that having the option to put so much into one preset could always mean more switching time between presets.

Not trying to argue though, a lower lag between presets is always good.
It’s just that in my personal workflow, the lag is no showstopper.

1 Like

Every modeler I’ve used has far less lag, even old Peavey Tubefex. That had just about zero lag (not at all noticable on stage). The Boss might have been a better choice for me in retrospect.

1 Like

+1 vote

I’m not yet in the position to need it (mostly studio works) but the playing training and concerts are around the corner and i know the Scene won’t be enough in some cases.

Former Kemper User, the lag is little enough in most cases, i remember that i was annoyed by it very few times.
I also use the Boss SY-300 wich has almost no lag.

I hope it can be approved in the future, it doesn’t looks good if " The most powerful floorboard amp modeler on the planet" is the slower for changing preset. Should be the faster or one of the fastest.

Fractal & Kemper can change presets without any lag.
Why is the QC not able to do this?
I know…I know…Work with Scenes but this is a PITA compared to the competition.
Scenes are limited by DSP and makes things complicated to blend your favorite presets.
I think this is by far the biggest downfall to the Quad Cortex.

Helix has an option that, sacrifying the 2nd DSP (means you have to work only with Row1/2), provides gapless preset change.

The Fractal (to my knowlegde only on the flagship model) found a way to provide gapless preset changing without having to mess with the workflow but I don’t know how they do it.

For my workflow, this is not a problem as I work always with scenes but it would be nice to have gapless preset switching no doubt.

The Gapless switching is now ported on the complete current line of product of Fractal : Axe FX III, FM9, and more surprisingly, the FM3 !

I highly doubt that we’ll ever see a kind of ‘gapless switching’ for preset on the QC, it would need a complete rewrite of the core architecture in order to optimise the DSP program loading, and at the current pace, it would take years… (if ever possible)

Yes, it is a little bit annoying, but it was very clear from the beggining that there would be a gap between preset, so I’m not mad at it…
If NDSP find a clever way to reduce or suppress the ‘gap’ it would be a really nice surprise, but they have so many other things to improve (midi, effects, qol things, etc…) that I don’t expect them to address this ‘issue’ quickly …

1 Like