Scene Switching latency

Hi Guys,

I am new here and so is my QC in my house :slight_smile:

I am having much fun capturing my gear and so on and so far I am pretty excited.
There is one MAJOR problem for me though and I wanted to ask if there is a fix or if anyone experiences this.

I know swithcing delays are a thing when swithcing presets. That is not ideal but ok for me.
BUT I also experience very audible and obvious switching delays in sound when i am in SCENE MODE and as an example have one block with amp, IR etc and 2 different Distortion pedals i wanna switch between. Like Button A for instance is Metal Muff with my Amp and Button B is a HM2 or so with my Amp.

I recorded it, too so itā€™s not my mind playing tricks on me. It;s VERY obvious and when you are switching sounds on the beat itā€™s Off/delayed. Itā€™s super annoying and for me a reason to return the QC because it would make it unusable in a live setting.

The CPU by the way was at 25%

You can listen to it here:

I am super grateful for all sorts of help and insights. Thank you very much!

1 Like

Hello and welcome to the forum.

If I understood correctly you have one preset with two OD/DS pedals on the chain and are using scenes to switch the on-off state between them?

And experience audio gap/lag when changing that on-off state on the pedals? Can you share the preset on the cloud so itā€™s easier to take a look?

I believe NDSP recently addressed that small dropout issue- certain amps (not all of them) may cause that. It was either have an audible noise when switching, or that tiny ā€˜duckingā€™ audio dip so they opted for the dip. It doesnā€™t seem to happen with every chain, only certain high-gain/heavy-DSP-using amps (although Iā€™m not positive- it may be more common than most of us who donā€™t rapidly switch between tones realized)

We talked about it on Discord a few weeks ago (this is from a different user who talked to NDSP Support):
"Neural says the dropout issue is by design and DOES happen on all scene changes. Here is the exact response I got: Thanks for reaching out.

This isnā€™t a bug. This is how we have handled switching between amp blocks and amp captures via scenes for several CorOS versions. We implemented a split-second crossfade to avoid noises when switching between different amp models. If we didnā€™t add that crossfade, you would hear a loud noise when switching between the two amps."

Thank you for your answer.

Wow, that is pretty disappointing. I donā€™t know if you have heard my sound sample (link in the original post) but that is VERY extreme I think. And unfortunately that makes the whole QC pretty unusable for me .:frowning:

To be clear: all the Amps are all my own CAPTURES and so are most of the pedals.

I am a touring musician (worldwide) and I would not care if the unit would be mostly for songwriting/recording. But itā€™s a 100% live thing for me and I was hoping to get rid of my 3 Amps and 3 cabs plus huge pedalboard on stageā€¦ Bummer.

Yes, two different Overdrive pedals. And in scene mode I am switching different scenes to switch between the different pedals in front of my amp. The preset is not ready yet. I am still testing how it all works as I am new to all this. And this is unfortunately the first thing that I have noticed.

Could you upload this preset? This way troubleshooting might be easier.

The preset is not ready yet. I am still testing how it all works as I am new to all this. And this is unfortunately the first thing that I have noticed.

I guess I need to figute out how to upload a presetā€¦ Any help is welcome (sorry, guysā€¦ Analog guy trying to chance this lifeā€¦ jeez)

Lets see if this is working:

For explanation: My setup is pretty complex. CPU is ā€œonlyā€ around 63 % though/

Block 1: Mono Guitar. THAT IS the one where I am trying to switch between different Overdrives.

Block 2: bass

Bock 3: 2nd Guitar. via splitter to

Block 4: ro run 2nd Guitar Stereo.

thank you for sharing your preset, weā€™ll all take a shot at it and see if anything can be tweaked but Iā€™m afraid for your particular case this may not have an acceptable workaround. Weā€™ll try though!

1 Like

Thank you very much! I am just so confused that such a powerful unit, which endless possibilities eventualy might now work for me because of THAT. One would think that this sould no be an issue with a power tool like that.

I am very surprised that this is not a dealbreaker to so many other users as wellā€¦
Building and changing my blocks in scenes to operate like classic effect chains like I used to do on my pedalboards is the main reason for me to use the QC.

Stomp mode is not an option for as tap dancing is something I hacve always tried to avoid. On my pedalboard I have all my pedals in loops taking them in and out of the chain with just one click.

Have you tried to keep all pedals on but use scenes to control just their volume? Say:

• Scene A: Pedal A (-120 db), Pedal B (0 db)
  • Scene B: Pedal A (0 db), Pedal B (-120 db)

This would avoid the ON-OFF and just lower/increase volumes.

I personally donā€™t see any significant latency in scene switching. Sometimes the difference between the sound of one amp and another causes something similar to latency (due to the simple fact of completely changing the sound), but the sounds you use are similar.
In any case, in the audio sample I do not see significant latency. Could you put another one?

1 Like

And this is one of the many reasons why we need a dry-wet-mix parameter on all blocks badly. Go vote here :slight_smile: I cannot express how much this could open for creativity. A universal dry/wet mix option on all blocks

HI. I will try that right away. But can you be a bit. ore precise? Where exactly do i set the volume? The only thing i can see in the settings/parameters of the pedal is a Volume knob at 0.0 db. If i turn it down to -24 dc there is still the signal of the other pedal pedal that is supposed to be ā€œoffā€ heard in the effect chain. It ios just lowering the overall volume of the other pedal.

And to clarify: BOTH distortion pedal captures are in the same ā€œblockā€. Like as they would be in a analog pedal chain. as well in front of the amp.

??

OK I see. What do you mean same ā€œblockā€? Same path on the grid?

Within the same path I donā€™t see how to accomplish that, maybe others can chime inā€¦

My idea was to put the ODā€™s on different paths, volume block on each path to control that path volume. Iā€™m not with a QC right now, maybe I can try something when I have the chance.

By the way - accessing your preset on Cloud gives me this:

One could also assign the A/B mix of the merge point of the two paths to scenes (scene 1 = 100% path A, scene 2 = 100% path B). That way you wouldnā€™t need two additional volume blocks.

With the feature requested in the thread I linked above it would be possible without an extra path, please vote for it :grin:

2 Likes

Yes, sorry I am new to all the right words for the QC.

I am in the same path. Die to the complexity of my scene i would need to be on the same path.

I loaded it up again:

try this:

Still same error but that could be Cloud itself not rendering correctly.

I will download to QC when I get the chance and try it.