Quad Cortex questions

i read some where that Douglas mentioned, that you guys are considering a spdif output over the headphone output, which would be awesome, but is that true and are there other parts in the quad cortex that you kinda consider to upgrade within september release because you after the namm 2020, realized something is bottleneck hardwarewise??

• Will there be ASIO drivers out of the box, for use of the QC as an interface with eg Cubase?

• Will the unit have loopback for audio recording as a sound interface?

• How do you turn the device on and off with the lack of a power switch? I heard in the Q&A there would be a ‘power switch in the UI’, but what does that mean exactly?

4 Likes

Will added amp models be included with the purchase of the hardware unit like on other hardware modelers?
Because this makes it sound like we’ll have to purchase additional amp models separately.

“ Do Neural DSP plugins come with QC?
Not by default as of now, but we will send a free plugin update in a Cortex compatible format to everyone who owns our plugins so they can be loaded onto the device.”

Do I understand that correctly?

From what I understand, newly added amps to the QC modeling architecture will be added with updates - it’s the already existing plugins like Plini and Abasi that have to be ported over. I suspect it has to do with licensing and/or royalty costs associated with the endorsed artist.

1 Like

Doug mentioned on TGP that new models will be included as part of the free updates. As @AndiKravljaca mentioned, plugins will be ported to the QuadC but will only be provided to those who purchased them.

1 Like

Currently we’ll supper one split the path. This might change in the future of course, it’s an UI design problem more than anything else.

1. Will there be a QC mode to support a USB Audio Class Compliant and work with Linux? With the arrival of such great programs as Bitwig and Reaper, Linux can already be used for music, but it is still difficult to find a good sound card, especially with DSP processing. In fact, these are only Line6 HELIX products that have started working since the Linux kernel version 5.3
  2. On QC advertising booklets there are only images of Apple products, will there be a mobile application for Android?
1 Like

Will there be a demo using the QC with real cabs bypassing the cab IR’s, using it purely as a preamp?

I plan to use it at home playing through a 2x12 cab with V30, so I’m really curious how that would sound.

So to get to the point: a demo with some of the more common speakers in a 2x12 or 4x12 cab, such as V30s, miked up with a standard setup such as a sm57, using something transparent like a SD PowerStage 170. I’d very much enjoy that.

3 Likes

Are each individual fx loop stereo or mono? (ie does this come with just 2 mono fx loops, or could these 2 fx loops be stereo?)

In one of the videos, Doug mentioned that it could be run in stereo.

I possibly didn’t write that very well - as in, could each fx loop use trs cable for stereo, so 2 stereo loops using trs, instead of 2 mono loops using Ts cable. Do you know which video it was in?

FAQ says they’re mono

This may have been asked and answered elsewhere, but I could not find it. I know that the USB is said to support Midi, but is it both Midi in and out, i.e., send and receive full Midi commands over USB?

FAQ has the following:

Is there a desktop controller?
Yes. The desktop controller will be available at no cost when Quad Cortex ships.

What is meant? Will there be some kind of controller like MIDI? How will it be connected, via MIDI, via Wi-Fi?

Pretty sure they mean editor software for Mac/PC

1 Like

Hello,

will QC support or even contain dynamic IRs?

As we can read on BluGuitar site: “Today’s standard in Guitar speaker simulation is convolution technology using impulse responses (so-called IRs). IRs deliver a precise frequency response of the respective speaker – but only at a static volume. If the volume changes, the sound of the loudspeaker also changes. IRs cannot capture these dynamic sound changes, because they are static. BluGuitar has solved this problem with the new Dynamic IR™ technology, which simulates the dynamic characteristic changes of the speaker tone. Dynamic IR™ delivers vibrant direct sounds like you have never heard before.”

Thanks

3 Likes

I’ve been using AxFX for years, (AX8 for live situations), now there’s one big disadvantage: changing channels and sounds has a latency.
Will there be any switching latency at all with the Quad Cortex? That’s pretty much the question that stops me from preordering right now.

You can never get rid of switching latency in the way you’re describing. You basically have to wipe the programming in the DSP, and upload new programming from memory, and that will always take time. In order for it to be seamless, you’d need a fully redundant DSP chain which is only used for spillover when switching presets, and cannot be used for anything else, which I don’t think a lot of people would want to pay for, even if you could conceivably do it.

The way to get rid of the preset switching delay is to not use presets but the equivalent of snapshots, or scenes, or whatever various manufacturers call it, where you change parameters on a block within a preset. So you will still have the same preset, only tweaking its settings - and because you still have the same preset, you’re using the same program on the DSP and don’t need to rewrite it. No delay.

But I don’t see lag-free preset switching happening anytime soon on any digital modeler.

Thanks for your reply, makes sense! Been using the AX8 exactly the way you describe, the problem with that is, that it’s still not possible to switch between two completely different sounds (like a crystal clear clean sound to a highgain one), without the gap.

Well - conceivably, if the QC is powerful enough, you can have a few amp blocks in the same preset, so like a JC120 and a Soldano, and on one ‘snapshot’ you bypass the Soldano and on the other you bypass the Roland, so you can build patches like that if the unit is powerful enough. Same with stuff like IRs and pedals too. Given what the QC is promising, that sort of thing should be possible.