Quad Cortex and "amp in the room" feeling

As promised, I am coming back to report my findings.

I plugged the QC into the Seymour Duncan PowerStage 200. I disabled the cab simulations on the QC. I plugged the output of the PS200 first into a 2x12 custom cab with a pair of Celestion V30 made in China and then I did the same with a 4x12 Mesa cab with 4 Celestion V30 made in the UK.

The PS200 features an EQ on the unit which is quite handy when adjusting the sound to the room. I tested this in a recording booth of about 4meters x 4 meters.

The overall experience was great. Unlike my previous experiments dialing into a combo amp, the sound is way less heavy on the mid-range and more balanced. I do love the V30 and I used to play lots of those speakers in the past and I felt instantly at home. The Chinese version of the V30 are a little bit fuzzier than the UK ones but they still delivered a great sound.

Of course you have to give them some power. I believe the 2x12 is a quite good compromise. The 4x12 is awesome but nothing I could play with in a small venue, you need to feed them too much power and they get too loud too quickly.

Overall I am very satisfied. My plan now is to have my presets with one lane going to the PS200 and another lane through the simulated cabs and to the FOH.

I will also need to find the right cab as the guy where I tried the PS200 is not going to sell his cabs :wink:
I am on the lookout for some used Mesa 2x12 cab with the UK V30.

4 Likes

I have no problem running ch3 out to the loop/return on my VHT 50CL amp head and it sounds great and great moving air with a 4x12. I have plenty of real tube amps and use the QC as direct recording, the feel of the QC is what sold me on it. It feels right. I typically just use it in my studio to record and play through a couple sets of studio monitors (FRFR) so moving some air is cool at times. I think if I were compact FOH live wit cab sim on, split with cab sim off on ch 3 going to a Fryette PS2 and either a 2x12 or 4x12 on stage.

1 Like

EZPZ

On a more serious note, couldnā€™t you just get any Mesa cab and stick whatever V30s you want in there?

ā€¦and do you really need Mesaā€™s name on it?

Edit to save spam;

I was only messing around, that thing is showing Ā£600 delivery to the UKā€¦lol

*sigh* I knew I was gonna get a response about this as soon as I posted it. DM me if you like, but letā€™s be sure to keep this thread on topic.

1 Like

I guess I owe you guys an update on how it is going on with my initiative :slight_smile:

I found an used V212-S Victory cab with two 12" Celestion Vintage 30 for a decent price and I have been using that for the past 3 weeks.

I have dissonant feelings with the end result, though.

Clean tones are good and the response to attack is there. There is volume, enough control, I have to admit it sounds good.

On the other hand, starting from edge of break up and all the way up to crunchy, overdriven and high gain tones I canā€™t really say I am satisfied. I had to play a lot with EQ to find a balance and to avoid the overall sound to be too ā€œthinā€. But that led to an overall ā€œboxedā€ sound where everything is sounding small and quite artificial and most of the nuisances (or I should better say harmonic content) gets lost.

I am on the verge of rolling back to an FRFR 12 + twitter and just forget about the amp feeling. :smiling_face_with_tear:

EQ wise you will probably want to add something post-amp to boost around the 60-120Hz area.
The main issue with digital amps is that they do not respond to speaker resonance in the same way that valve amps do.

Saying that though, I have been using the QC into a Powerstage into an Orange 412 all year and have had absolutely no issues with ā€˜thinnessā€™. Even without any compensation as per the above.

I did a capture of my Mesa Express 5:25 which has a V30 and WOW. Itā€™s been my go to of late.

Yes I noticed that and in fact I am using the PS EQ to boost the basses, even though I do not have much control over which frequency it actually boosts. But I can hear the difference

Which kind of sounds are you mainly using? I am mostly using edge of breakup and overdriven tones. Not so much high gain ones. Do you have any preset on Cortex Cloud that you can share to give it a try? I would like to understand if it is just because I am doing something wrong in my presets as I just took the ones I used to run through the simulated cabs and disabled the cabs and adjusted a little bit the EQ on the amp blocks due to the different real life cab I plugged into.

I play in a Post Metal band, so everything from clean to wall of noise.

Not put any presents up yet, but I mainly use the VH4 channels 1 and 2 (3 and 4 are too ā€˜metalā€™ for me).I spent a long time going back and forth from our rehearsal space to home trying to get a representative IR/cab SIM so that I could be sure that and changes I made in either location actually did what I though.

You can be quite drastic with a global low pass filter too. Think I have mine below 10kHz at least, but canā€™t remember off hand.

Iā€™d love to check those out if you ever do upload any