QC Editor USB connection issue

None of the updates to both the QC itself or the Desktop controller makes a difference. My unit is flying off back home to Finland for a look over in a couple of days, so hopefully that will shine some light on the issue.

Please ensure you have updated the software for the editor as it was updated for the CoreOS release.

I have the latest update of the CoreOS and also the latest Cortex Control.

1 Like

I’ve spent more time troubleshooting and twisting knobs on this Quad Cortex over the past 3 months than I have in my entire 20 year career of playing music compared to tube amps.

Still the same problem even after todays update…

agreed - its still not working for me. I’ve tried several USB hubs (Apple and 3rd party) with no consistent success. In order to go direct into my MacBook Pro I would have to buy a USB-B to USB-C cable as my laptop only has those ports.

Has anyone else already tried that type of USB-B to USB-C cable with any success?

1 Like

I have bought the direct cable and no change, still not working.

1 Like

I have been testing a lot of things lately, and I have seen very strange things.
I have 2 Macs:

• Mac mini M2 Pro with Sonoma 14.2.1
  • MarcBook Air M2 with Sonoma 14.2.1
  • Old MacBook Pro i7 with Big Sur

USB communication works like crap on both my M2 Macs. USBAudioRxFrame and USBAudioTxFrame resetting continuously, USBAudioTxFrameSkipped increasing continuously, And USBStreamingEPEnabled increasing continuously.

This makes the audio cut out very often and makes the QC unusable for anything related to the computer, including CC.

Strange things:

• It works perfectly fine on my old MacBook Pro i7 with Big Sur
  • It works perfectly fine on my MacBook Air M2 when I boot it on an external SSD with a fresh install of Sonoma 14.2.1
  • It did NOT work when I completely wiped out and reinstalled my MacMini M2 Pro with Sonoma 14.2.1

I’m really out of ideas right now…

1 Like

Hi all.
Started this thread ages ago. My QC eventually got shipped off to Neural HQ. It’s now back and works perfectly.

Neural said on my unit: The issue was related to the processor unit, and also the storage unit, so our team replaced these parts.

If nothing works on your QC’s as a fix it’s probably a hardware issue like mine unfortunately.

4 Likes

@GraemeW thanks for the update. Sadly I think this might be the situation I am in. I’ve already had my QC sent back to Neural 1 year ago when the USB port failed completely. Hoping I don’t have to do it again. It’s weird that I can run my MacBook audio through the QC for playing along to tracks via headphones etc but anything to do with using Cortex Control is just a non-starter. :frowning:

1 Like

Update on this. I have identified what happens on both my Macs.
The issue is present only when my BenQ BL 2420-T monitor is plugged in. It doesn’t matter if it is using USB-C (to DisplayPort) or HDMI. The second I plug the cable, the USB connection starts to reset very often, leading to audio drop out, and USBAudioTxFrameSkipped and USBAudioStreamingEPEnabled values start to increase.
The second I unplug the cable, those values stay idle, the USB connection doesn’t reset anymore and audio work perfectly fine.
Even if I switch the monitor off using the physical switch behind, if I plug the cable in, USB is screwed.
The only way to be able to plug the cable in without having this glitch is to physically unplug the power cable of the monitor. It is a 3 wires grounded power cable (IEC-C13), so…could it be a ground loop, or a grounding problem to which the QC would be overly sensitive? My Scarlett 2i2 never complained :smiley:

1 Like

Can you try to disable audio going to your monitor(s)? Is there a conflict occurring?

Tried, and not helping unfortunately.

This is definitely a macOS Sonoma 14.2 issue from what I can tell.

Got out my old MacBook Pro which is 2 major OS releases behind - 12.4 Monterey.

Used the exact same USB dongle and cable and Cortex Control worked perfectly first time.

Took the same cable and switched to my current laptop running Sonoma - Cortex Control just hangs on the “loading presets” screen and either crashes or I have to restart/kill it. Never worked since the OS update that I can recall.

Please Neural can you help? I don’t want to use a 5+ year old MacBook Pro just to use Cortex Control :frowning:

There is definitely some issues with Sonoma.
But I also found out that what I thought was poor USB communication handling from the QC was actually a combination of one of my external displays introducing noise through the grounding and the second power supply that I bought for my QC that seems to be a lot less tolerant to grounding interferences. When I switched to the original power supply, almost all the problems disappeared.

2 Likes