QC as Interface - How to control Volumes

I want to eventually turn this into a feature request, but thought it might be interesting how other users work around this and maybe have better ideas.

The situation and problem:

I use the QC as my main interface at home, so my headphones as well as my monitors are connected to it. And while it does the job, I miss the ease of use of a dedicated interface when it comes to adjusting volumes. On your typical interface you can adjust volumes on the hardware with a volume knob (for the speakers), a mix knob (to mix Input/USB) and a headphone knob (for headphones).
And in the software many more options like setting levels for individual software (for example DAW louder then Music Player).

With the QC it is more complicated.
Before Cortex Control came out, the QC was on my desk and I controlled all the volumes on the QC hardware. This worked fine, not perfect, but ok. Big downside was obviously, that it was on my desk and therefor not useable with me feet.
Now with the Cortex Control release, the QC is on my floor and therefor I can’t easily reach it with my hands. So changing any volume setting has to be done in Cortex Control, which takes a lot of time, compared to your typical interface.

My thoughts for a solution:

• First and maybe obvious one would be to buy an interface. However, I don’t really wanna do that, as it is another piece of hardware, costs money, more cables, etc.
  • The other way around would be to put the QC back on the desk and buy a MIDI footswitch. That wouldn’t really solve it and again, costs money, more hardware, more cables.
  • So that leaves me with a not (yet) thought through feature request. I would like to have easier access to all the volume and mixing adjustments in Cortex Control. Best way I can think of would be by using shortcuts. Ideally they should work even when another window then Cortex Control is open (DAW, Browers, etc.), so you don’t have to switch back to Cortex Control everytime.
1 Like

I struggle with this a bit, also, now that my unit is permanently on the floor. For now I use my foot pedal as the easiest-to-reach, by using a volume block at the very end of every preset. I don’t like it this way.

I like your #3 option. In CC, by clicking the upper right volume icon, a new window would open that would have the output and mix levels consolidated in a comprehensive little mixer that could be dragged, pinned to top level, etc.

2 Likes