Plini update 2.0: Sample latency/CPU usage

Hello,

I just updated to Plini archetype version 2.0. I first uninstalled the previous version as advised.
The new features are there, great stuff!

But I now see in Reaper there is a sample latency no matter how it’s set up:

It was not the case before the update. I don’t know how much latency it represents in milliseconds, but it is more than zero.
I try to get the lowest audio latency as I’m using this plugin for direct playing/recording…

Is there a way to avoid this problem?

EDIT : in addition, I just noted that the CPU usage is significantly higher. My previous projects with instances of the archetype are now triggering the limit of my CPU, which was definitely not the case before :slightly_frowning_face:

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

I’d like to second this .I don’t use Reaper but there is definitely a problem with running Plini 2 in oversampling mode both in Cubase and in Standalone mode.
Before this update I experienced no crackles or artefacts but now they appear whenever I use oversampling - even on an RME at 512 samples (I usually run full sessions including Aqua plugins and Omnisphere etc at 256 samples) so running standalone at twice that and getting significant artefacts is a pretty big deal.

I have both versions v1 & v2 installed and whilst the additional features are very welcome, the code definitely needs optimising.
Looking forward to version 2.01.

1 Like

I’ve seen the same happening in my Reaper sessions.

I have a loooot less CPU usage than you but the “spls” factor is here.

Don’t you have some kind of digital artifacts/sound gaps/crackling souds when switching presets too ?
I do have this problem and it seems that the only solution is to increase the ASIO buffer greatly (512 samples minimum on my Focusrite interface), and makes it not reliable enough for live performances at the moment.

The latency added is around 1 ms, and practically negligible considering the amount of latency between your ears and the speakers is approximately 3 ms.

I will notify the development team about this. It may be fixed with a future update. I will also ask them to check the CPU usage increment in comparison with the previous version.

Thank you for your feedback and apologies for the inconvenience caused.

1 Like

1ms latency isn’t the issue mate. It’s the increased resource demand leading to crackles and artefacts and unplayable projects.

2 Likes

Yes, I will also ask them about that.

I agree, the latency is not the biggest problem even if it’s not justified to have this while the previous version was latency-free.
I have to rollback to version 1.0.2 until it is fixed, so that I can play my current projects without crackles/artefacts.

1 Like

i agree it isnt the latency its the crackles and artefacts, at least thats what i experience in Ableton 10 suite on my PC win 10. with plugin plini 2.0

@Gonzalo any news ETA about the artefacts cracking and CPU usage ? I’m just out of a rehersal and it was a mess…my instance of Plini was eating 16 % CPU in Reaper and there were artefacts even outside of presets changes.

We already did some Performance improvements but we still need to fix a couple of issues. It should be released in a few days.

2 Likes

Thanks ! Good to know :slight_smile:

CPU seems a bit better now, digital artefacts are still there, I suppose it’s for the next update.

which audio device to you use and which daw?

I use a Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre with Reaper.
On two different computers.

i agree CPU is by far better but digital artefacts are still there when i use the 2.01 plini with ableton live on win 10 PC.

The same on my side, 2.0.1 brought an improvement over 2.0.0. But 1.0.x was clearly better in performance and zero latency.

What could have bring this CPU consumption increase and latency? Is the built-in tuner consuming CPU in background? Or the MIDI support? The noise-gate adaptive release?
There is no other new features that could have cause this, it seems straightforward to diagnose…

I will do in the next days a performance comparison between 1.0.2 and 2.0.1 on my projects to quantify the increase, so that we have some number and not just feeling :slight_smile:

Let me know if I can help…

Hey everyone. We haven’t been able to identify any significant increment on CPU usage with the 2.0.1 version in comparison to the original 1.0.2.

As @Predtech suggested, could you please do a performance comparison between 1.0.2 and 2.0.1? It would be really helpful to us. Just be sure to keep the same settings and modules between both versions.

Thank you!

The CPU usage seems back to normal in 2.0.1, it’s the digital artefacts that are still there when we change presets…unless we use high latency settings.

Those artefacts were happening with 1.0 but with really low latency settings (4.5 ms on my home computer) to “begin” to hear them “sometimes”.
With 2.0 even at 11 ms latency I hear them at every patch changes and even when I hit the play button in Reaper.

1 Like

Maybe it’s because of that new CPU cycle thing we can see in Reaper :

Plini No Project

I did a lot of measurements and analyzes, with different settings, taking each time the average CPU usage for the measured setting, and waiting for a minute in order to be sure that there is no interference from Windows background tasks.
Each setting use either an existing preset for concrete comparison, or a very specific part of the plugin in order to detect where the increases occurred.
Each test use 10 instances in a row of a same setting in order to have a better precision and to simulate the situation of multiple instances in a project. The results here are already divided by 10, even if it doesn’t change anything for comparison purpose.
Since an empty plugin instance with all the upper icons disabled has a CPU usage, it has been substracted for component one by one results in order to reveal the component proper cost.

Here is my Reaper audio setting (setup for low-latency/live playing):

Version 1.0.2

• Presets
    • Default preset 7.6%
    • Every Piece Matters - lead 7.8%
    • Electric Sunrise - riff 5%
  • Components one by one
    • Nothing activated (all the upper icons are disabled) 0.2%
    • Compressor 0.08%
    • Overdrive 0%
    • Amp 1 0.9%
    • Amp 2 1%
    • Amp 3 1.1%
    • Equalizer 0.15%
    • Cabinet with 1 mic 1.4%
    • Cabinet with 2 mic 2.9%
    • Delay 0.5%
    • Reverb 2.2%

Version 2.0.1

• Presets
    • Default preset 8.5%
    • Every Piece Matters - lead 8.8%
    • Electric Sunrise - riff 5.8%
  • Components one by one
    • Nothing activated (all the upper icons are disabled) 0.4%
    • Compressor 0.1%
    • Overdrive 0%
    • Amp 1 1%
    • Amp 2 1.3%
    • Amp 3 1.4%
    • Equalizer 0.15%
    • Cabinet with 1 mic 1.7%
    • Cabinet with 2 mic 3.2%
    • Delay 0.5%
    • Reverb 2.8%

Comparison v1.0.2 -> v2.0.1

• Presets
    • Default preset +12%
    • Every Piece Matters - lead +13%
    • Electric Sunrise - riff +16%
  • Components one by one
    • Nothing activated (all the upper icons are disabled) +100%
    • Compressor +25% (but very small)
    • Overdrive +0%
    • Amp 1 +10%
    • Amp 2 +30%
    • Amp 3 +27%
    • Equalizer +0%
    • Cabinet with 1 mic +21%
    • Cabinet with 2 mic +10%
    • Delay +0%
    • Reverb +27%

In addition, I have checked a real-life situation with one of my projects which contains 2 mono Plini instances, 2 stereo Plini instances, and nothing else.
The project has a total CPU usage of 43% with v 1.0.2, and 59% with v2.0.1.

My conclusion:

1. Total CPU usage increase in a real project is around 30%
  2. CPU usage for a single instance is around +15% for complex presets, around +30% on simple presets that mostly rely on amp and 1 mic
  3. CPU usage increase is well distributed between most of the plugin components
  4. An increase appears even with everything disabled in the plugin

Hope it helps :wink:

1 Like

Hi NDSP team,
feedback
I got no Plini 2.0.1 update notification or email , the update needs to be prompted within the standalone or daw plugin please. and the app needs to handle it’s own update instead of individual download and uninstall and install .
too cumbersome i feel. needs to be made easy. or simply make a DSP product manager .Thanks