Option to create backup to computer

I’d like to have to option to create a backup of my QC without the Cortex Cloud. It’s unpleasant that my work entitely depends on the security premises of Cortex Cloud, and while I’m sure it’s secure, I’d like to be able to create an old-fashioned physical copy.

totally agree, huge topic for me

4 Likes

Same here, and I guess a very simple solution would be to have access to the file system via USB.

1 Like

I believe the ‘local backup’ option is coming with the Editor

3 Likes

I don’t like relying on someone else’s computer for anything. I’m fine with it at the moment, but being able to upload presets, IRs, and backup the same, without relying on my WIFI connection to the QC, and the existence at all of Neural’s website, would future-proof this device quite a bit.

There is no cloud, only someone else’s computer.

2 Likes

I look forward to having this option as well. While I would like to be able to back up to a computer, and for that matter a USB drive as well, I do think it is grand that we are getting free cloud storage from Neural. A backup that is available anywhere you can get internet connectivity is a great option. Could always use your phone as a hotspot in a pinch. Not that you ever want to be having to restore your presets before a show, but the cloud does provide some additional peace of mind. I am sure that the cloud option is going to be a huge relief to some users down the line when they find that they either can’t locate their local backup, or that it is corrupt.

Additionally, if Neural is using a cloud service like, for example, AWS, provided it is adequately provisioned, the availability (from anywhere!) should generally be great. Also, the cloud generally offers multiple site redundancy for both backups and network access that is more robust than most home users’ local setups. Also, most home users are not security experts. Although corporate sites provide a juicy target, security is often better on the cloud.

3 Likes

Yep. I have a ‘dead zone’ in my music room. To update - save or to download other presets - I have to disconnect my QC and take it to the opposite end of the house - where WiFi is stronger. I know this is a ‘me problem’ - but it would be nice to just be able to connect via USB for backup, updates, importing profiles, etc.

1 Like

Or just install a wifi extender to do the job for now :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

They are: cloud-api.neuraldsp.com points to ncc-public-alb-2013890883.eu-north-1.elb.amazonaws.com.

Relying on someone else’s computer doesn’t worry me a whole lot, that ship has sailed. Everything we use these days is SaaS to some extent, if Neural DSP goes away then it would be time to cut our losses and switch to a different device! Local backups don’t offer me any real peace of mind since they’re (probably) of no use on any other manufacturer’s modeller.

That said, local backups give everyone that warm fuzzy feeling, so sure, that would be nice.

3 Likes

This is a “Must Have” IMO … It will probably come with the desktop editor?

1 Like

I fully agree to that request. I would like to rate it as ‘urgent’. This option would also allow us, to keep several versions of a backup.

1 Like

Agree, multiple versions is one of the more compelling features that might be provided and navigated easily with local backups. You can sort of do this in the cloud right now, one preset at a time, by uploading them individually using the ‘Copy to Cloud’ feature. That is much more of a PITA though, both procedurally and organizationally, than simply being able to locally backup multiple presets at one time, complete setlists/banks, or total backups (including global settings). And… as has already been mentioned, having the ability to retain both cloud and local backups provides the obvious benefits of both.

Plus, once I have local backups, I can back them up to my own cloud storage (doh!). :grin:

1 Like

I don’t think that it’s only a “you” problem. The WLAN chip in the QC isn’t the best.

Any of my appliances (mobile phones, laptops, IPads, my oven and even my fridge for that matter) have a better WLAN connection than the QC. And I carried the QC around and put it where all these appliances are located for comparison.

Same problem with the wifi :expressionless:

1 Like

The Wi-Fi is trash on this device. End of story.

1 Like

It would be a must have. I would be more confident to not need to rely on internet connection to restore a backup in a emergency.

3 Likes

well that is one feature I also believe is a must have. It is so convenient to backup my Kemper to my PC that I could not believe the quad cortex does not support it.

Now with the release of the newest Version and Cortex Control this feature is implemented. And I am glad I can also use the internet connection from my pc now, when it is connected via USB

4 Likes