Occasional Audio Glitches as USB Interface

Hey everyone,

To anyone that hasn’t done it yet: Please send us a summary of your system specs, as well as some details on how to replicate these problems to support@neuraldsp.com. We’re trying to gather more information about these problems.

Thank you!

1 Like

I’m also getting these drops in volume sounding like a compressor is engaging and squashing the audio.
Seems like it can’t handle a full mix as well as a new session where you’re just tracking a few instruments.

OK, finally had time to run the QC as USB audio interface on my Mac-based system (macmini 2018 6-core i7, 32 GB) and it works rock stable without any hint of glitches or artefacts whatsoever. I also ran it aggregated with my RME UCX interface with no problems (though 7ms roundtrip latency at a buffer size of 32).

Also interesting is that as aggregated with the UCX as master, the QC locks fine to 44.1 kHz - as most of my old and current (Logic) projects runs at 44.1 kHz, this is excellent news, to be able to re-amp also those projects without going over analog!

As for tweaks - nothing is done (internet, wifi and bluetooth running) Also, for the tests the QC was connected to a port of a USB hub connected in series with another USB hub before the macmini, so the QC doesn’t seem very sensitive regarding the connections.

Great news, thanks for the update!

CorOS Version: 1.01

Using a Late 2014 Macbook Pro (Big Sur) I am getting frequent cut outs in the audio when using the Quad Cortex as a USB interface. This is not happening with my brick-like 2010 Macbook Pro (Mavericks). When both devices are first turned on the audio might last for 1-2 minutes after which replugging the Quad Cortex the audio comes back for 5-10 seconds before dropout.

Checking the console I am getting HALS_IOA1Engine::EndWriting: got an error from the kernel trap, Error: 0xE00002EE

Steps to reproduce:

1. Step 1 - Plug in audio interface
  2. Step 2 - Play audio briefly until it beeps and cuts out
  3. Step 3 - Be sad

I have tried the following things:

• PRAM reset
  • Turning both devices off and on, disconnecting from power and recconecting
  • Moved back to Catalina, same issue occurs, same error
  • Restarting Coreaudiod via terminal

I saw where RME went through similar errors after upgrading and they had recommended a clean install to resolve the glitching.

Probably not a feasible solution IMO but maybe worth a try?

same issue with me on a Mac Pro 2015. On Catalina. Hoping for a solution soon. Sometimes it kills of my bluetooth too

Have no glitches and can not reproduce any problems following above sequence.

Macmini 2018 i7-6core, 32 GB RAM, Catalina. USB-port->USB-hub->QC.

QC works glitch-free both as standalone and aggregated with a RME UCX (through TB3->TB2->FW400 adapters)

1 Like

lol, we got it, that’s great for you man

The same keeps happening to me. Audio drop outs, glitches, changing the buffer size doesn’t help with this issue either. It’s annoying that everytime I play any audio (youtube, music, game, movie) the first seconds are much louder and very distorted. I really hope they’ll be able to fix this soon

CorOS Version: 1.0.2

Describe your issue:
When I am connecting my Android phone/tablet (mobile device) to my Quad Cortex, everything mostly works just fine. …except for an intermittent distortion from the audio coming in from the mobile device. It doesn’t happen in the same place every time so it wouldn’t appear to be a peak issue. Doesn’t seem to impact the guitar/bass I am playing. Just the incoming audio from the Android. Discovered this as a friend asked me to play along with some of his TikTok videos. This isn’t limited to audio from TikTok. This can be done with any audio from the Android device it seems. I tried with Amazon Music as well. Same issue. It comes and it goes and not necessarily in the same place twice. I checked my incoming USB levels and they were around -20db.

Steps to reproduce your issue:

1. Connect Android mobile device to Quad Cortex via USB.
  2. Play Audio

I expected this to happen:
I don’t expect the distortion.

I have tried the following things:

• Turning the incoming signal down.
  • Rebooting the QC.
  • Rebooting the Android Mobile device.
2 Likes

Same issue here

Everyone needs to send in a bug report from your QC menus so they get a log to look at when it happens. Then follow up with an email why you sent to log. The more they get the more likely they get it fixed quickly.

Edit all delete user block google what do . Edit the fun out troubleshooting both earphone put it you ways delete my account troubleshooting all better ways in your hand

I really hope they manage to solve this issue. It’s basically unusable as an audio interface at this state. I have audio glitching out every few minutes

Edit: I just noticed there’s a lot less glitches if you turn off your internet, but I definitely wouldn’t call this a solution

Again, for Mac users, check your environment! If other 8+ channel USB interfaces are stable and the QC is not, sure it’s an issue.

I’ve tested the QC as an audio interface on (now) 4 different Macs (mini 2012 and 2018, MBP 2012 and 2015, Mojave and Catalina) and I can’t reproduce any of the glitches mentioned - but yes I might be lucky with my specific QC.:zipper_mouth_face:

Well after updating the QC to version 1.0.3 the quality is worse than it was . AdolfGandhi mentioned the WiFi connection, that was unstable as well. After 2 times reboot , the connection seems OK now , but the audio (say my youtube vids and playalong with it) is horrible. So please a 1.04 soon and the QC clean as audio interface… I must admit , better the use as audio interface not that good , than the bass/guitar sound itself :wink:

1 Like

Yeah, it got much worse for me after the update too. Now I get audio glitches every few seconds and it’s unbearable. I already issued a support ticket with Neural but I really hope they fix this in general soon. I keep seeing similar issues with Quad cropping up on various forums and social media sites. It looks like it’s mostly an issue with users who use Win 10

1 Like

Damn, 1.0.3 has made it worse for me too… :confused:

Same here, when i use my qc as an interface on windows, weird noises appear, like a robotic signal, is very annoying when i see youtube or i press play on spotify