Looking for help with a Tone for a Boston song

Hello folks… hope it’s OK to ask this. I have the Gojira and Tim Henson amp sims. I am wondering if anyone could help me out and let me know what presetting sounds close enough to Boston’s “More than a feeling” song. I have tried a few… and can’t decide. Just looking for close enough… I know exact is almost impossible.

Also, another question. I am wondering how you folks change up the amp while in song playing. Like if you are playing clean, and then need to hit over drive for an example… I do have an AKAI MPK Mini midi board… not sure if that’s how, or??? Just looking to learn up some on this one.

any help would be awesome… and I hope you can help me with the tones on just the two amp sims (they are all I have - for now).

1 Like

You can map the presets or parameters to your MIDI controller using the MIDI mapping feature on the plugins. I use a bluetooth midi footswitch controller, which allows me to do the same by stomping on the footswitches. With your midi keyboard you probably are going to change presets/parameters by pressing keys or pads, which isn’t the best scenario but it is still better then attempting to change on the computer mid-song (which I’ve done before and it sucks haha).

I do not own neither gojira or henson archetypes, so I won’t be able to help you with the tones, but perhaps you could try figuring out what gear was used for the song and then decided on the closest options youn have on your simulations. I guess either with the clean amp of the gojira or with the acoustic amp/ clean-crunch amp of the tim henson (I don’t remember exactly the setup of those as I’ve only seen videos and it’s been a while now, but I’m sure you will be able to figure it out if you try enough).

1 Like

thank you for trying to help… I’ll look at this tonight when I have the chance to play. Can you link me to a Bluetooth switch like you are talking about? I see what you mean, using my hands to switch with the midi board pads will be tough while playing… wonder if I can use my foot with that - lol

appreciate your time and help.

1 Like

To be honest, any midi foot controller would work. Obviously there are many options and price points, and people seem to prefer some of the fancy ones (like the Morningstar MC8), but I’ve seen a lot of people mentioning Boss FCB1010 and also the Line 6 FBV Express USB MKII / FBV-3. There are some alternative options like Fractal Audio MFC-101 , Blackstar Live Logic Midi , Xsonic Airstep Smart MIDI Controller , Logidy UMI3, Hotone Ampero Control Midi and finally the cheapest option I know of, which would be the M-Vave Chocolate Wireless Midi Controller (this is the one I own now and have been using for the past few months, and so far no issues, except with Plini X - but Neural seems to be investigating the issue, and it’s probably because to the plugin update).

If you need expression pedal, I known the Boss and Line 6 options already include that. For wireless, I am only sure about the cheap M-Vave and the Hotone, and I think the Airstep has that option as well.
I guess there must be a lot of posts around here on the community discussing midi controllers in all sorts of scenarios, which might provide some helpful insight as well.

Anyway, good luck!

1 Like

WOW, lots of options for sure. I appreciate the feedback. I always like to look based off someone’s experience vs me just taking a guess. I will check these out and prob order one tomorrow. I have never had anything like this… so it would be a start and an initial learning phase. What I do know so far is that some of the songs I play (trying to play :slight_smile: ) have that clean to hard or OD kind of sound… And it annoys me that I am only playing them at one single tone. Might go with what you have and learn my way up… not sure. I’ll do research.

1 Like