Input Profile for different instruments

One of the challenges I currently have with the QC is that, since my instruments have varying output levels, I have to go to the I/O screen and set my input level/impedence.

Reason for this being that I always want my guitar, when the guitar volume is at max, to have a hot incoming signal to overdrive amp models.

When switching from my Les Paul to Strat, the output dropoff is huge so I must raise the input level when using the Strat so it can overdrive and then back off the Les Paul so it doesnā€™t clip.

To resolve this, I suggest an input profile that is set/managed in the I/O screen.

The profile will save the input and impedence levels for future retrieval.

The saved profile can be acessed in a preset with a long hold of the row input block like how the recently added input gate is.

This can be saved in the preset.

This feature can be accesed in scenes such that each scene within a preset can access different input profiles.

Along with the initially stated issue, having this feature added for live use would mean quicker stage change of instruments that have large differences in output.

Edit: also suggested a hum eliminator feauture that could be saved in the Input Profile here: Hum Cancel At I/O Screen

Not sure about the implementation, but I love the concept of this. Voted.

1 Like

Iā€™m out of votes, but we obviously need this feature. Similar to the general request for ā€œsavable I/O settings,ā€ most modelers already have this ability. For multi-instrument use itā€™s really a necessity.

1 Like

Note: You can remove existing votes by selecting your vote area and choosing to list votes and from there you can remove any existing votes to reapply somewhere else (if you choose) :grinning:

1 Like

While I also wish that input level and impedance settings could be stored in patches instead of just global, I think there may be other ways to address different guitar levels and tone.

I actually like the fact that my Les Paul and Strat sound different and have different levels, thatā€™s kind of the point of having different guitars. But if I do need to match them up, often because I have to play one of them on a song that would be better suited for the other, I just do it with a gain, compressor, EQ or distortion block and a scene. This is more flexible than input level because I can also change other things as needed. It also avoids potential digital clipping.

4 Likes

As someone who runs electric, acoustic and bass guitar through QC I would love this feature. Voted.

Btw. I am only setting the input levels. How to set the impedance properly?

right now, the impedance seems to be a ā€˜by earā€™ setting; It basically rolls off high-end as you decrease it, so you really have to experiment and decide whether it makes enough difference with your particular pā€™ups to be worth adjusting. I rarely change it anymore. Itā€™d be nice to know officially if it is intended to have any other effect; if itā€™s mostly EQ-oriented, then youā€™re better off with actual EQ blocks per preset than worrying about the impedance setting.

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure if this is what you mean or if this will help.
I put a utility gain in the GTR line on the preset and can have it bypassed or altered in different scenes when using different GTRā€™s. Or you can make up separate patches for different GTRā€™s.
I set up the input ( global) to suit the loudest GTR and adjust the utility gain in the patch for the weaker one.
Cheers.
BlaMM

1 Like

In the case of electric guitars with passive pickups, tube amps are usually designed to have a similar high impedance input. But itā€™'s generally not adjustable so if you plug in a guitar with a relatively higher output impedance, it may have less high-end than a guitar with a relatively lower output impedance.

In one of his videos on youtube, Mason from Vertex FX talks about modifying an rjm loop switcher where he increases the input impedance of the buffer from 500k to 1M in order to preserve more of the high end of the incoming signal. There are also devices like the Lehle sunday driver which allow you to switch between 1M and 5M input impedance, advertised to provide an extra sparkle with the higher setting. However, some guitars can sound harsh on high impedance inputs. Itā€™s probably best to set it by ear as @xush wrote, being an additional parameter to adapt the QC to different guitars without modifying the presets every time. It can also be used to compensate for different cables or cable length, kind of.

Iā€™d like to add that for people who frequently switch between different guitars, a device like the following may be more practical than input profiles on the QC: https://www.thegigrig.com/three2one

Not only does it work with every other amp / modeler / pedalboard without having to switch or modify any profiles but it also allows you to have up to 3 instruments connected simultaneously and switch between them.