How to use Expression Pedal as Master Volume for All of QC?

How can I use a Mission expression pedal as a master volume? Thanks.

you canā€™t do it Globally, unfortunately.

Youā€™ll have to assign it per preset, however you prefer (gain block near beginning of chain, EQ block level, etc).
For Master Volume, meaning post-time fx, best bet is to assign it to the volume/level parameter of the Output Block at the end of your signal lane.

If itā€™s going to be a common element of your presets, itā€™s best to make a template preset containing that XP pedal assignment- then you can build a preset and do a ā€˜save-asā€™ for NEW presets.

1 Like

How about turning this into a feature request? Similarly like the cab sim ā€œGlobal Bypassā€ the EP could maybe be enabled/disabled globally in the settings.

1 Like

there are a couple already;
this one has the most votes:

https://unity.neuraldsp.com/t/expression-as-global-volume-pedal

Ah yes, sorry. I even already voted for that one and forgot! :joy:

1 Like

Hey Xush,

Are you noticing that your volume level is as though the expression pedal is all the way down for a split second when changing presets (see my recent post ā€œVolume burstā€)?

I donā€™t switch presets while performing, Iā€™ll have to check and see. I rarely change out of scene mode.

I understand. If you get a chanceā€¦

Thanks much!

upon testing it, Iā€™d say the preset loads the XP position from the saved point, wherever that was. If I save the preset with the XP at 0/heel, that preset will load with a slight dropout as the pedal goes from 0 to wherever the pedal is at time of load. If I save the preset with the pedal at max/toe position, there will be a spike if the pedal has moved down before changing presets.
I made 2 duplicates of the same preset to experiment going back and forth this way; Iā€™m pretty confident from these tests that when you change presets, it loads with the XP at the ā€˜positionā€™ it was saved at and then adjusts to where it actually is as quickly as possible.
Thatā€™s why sometimes youā€™ll DL a preset that has no output till you move your XP; the user must have saved it with the pedal at ā€˜0ā€™

Not sure if that helps or hurts your situation, but thatā€™s how it works anyway. Might be why some folks are still using a physical vol pedal if they have to switch presets a lot

1 Like

Wow, donā€™t know why I didnā€™t think of that (geriatric poisoning?). If I resave each preset with the pedal at the mid-way point, it would be a usable compromise until (and if) NDSP introduces a fix.

Thanks for your investigation and recommendation, Xush!

1 Like

I tried it yesterday. Saving each preset with the pedal at a lower position is a great compromise. I just have to watch my pedal position each time I tweak and save. Thanks for the suggestion, Xush.

1 Like