GR (Gain Reduction) Meter on compression modules

I’d love to have some kind of gain reduction metering on the compression modules.
It would be very helpful in some situations to see how much one is actually compressing and also a great learning tool for beginners who are not used to hearing compression :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

:+1: This would be very helpful

4 Likes

Totally agree! Being a bass player, I use compression often.
I miss not seeing those LEDs light up on my MXR M87 already!

2 Likes

Yup, this would be great.

1 Like

Yep, very into this

1 Like

Computer DAW’s and other modellers PC editors do this. I think the QC is uniquely built to do it on screen. I’d love this feature. Makes it so much easier to dial in a compressor.

3 Likes

I really hope they will implement this feature! It would be so helpful. Especially for vocals. It is so hard to hear a compression when you are singing to the mic.

3 Likes

This is a must have

3 Likes

The more I use the QC the more I miss the feature. I really hope this is coming soon. Recently I accidentally switched gain on my acoustic guitar during some gig. The level remained the same more or less but it was way more compressed without me noticing right away. My fault - I know - but some GR indicator is a must have.

2 Likes

It’s not convenient, but there’s a way to measure the gain reduction on QC. Engage your compressor block and set the makeup gain to 0db, threshold to 0db - this is no compression. Switch to the I/O page and note the output level. Go back to the compressor block and adjust the threshold, attack and release to get some compression - you’ll hear the overall volume drop a little. Go back to the I/O page and note the output level again, it will be lower because of the compression. The difference in the output level is the gain reduction. Go back to the compressor block and adjust the makeup gain to match the gain reduction.

2 Likes

Thank you jamsden for that guide. As you described - it’s a chore to do manually but in my humble opinion easy thing to code and therefore automatize. Maybe there are some issues implementing some kind of an indicator - if I am not mistaken the only indicators I found are in the I/O menu. Fingers crossed for the next update.

2 Likes

+1: I’d love to have this feature, which should be easy to implement.

1 Like

I need this gain reduction metering

2 Likes

I am a bass player and would love to see the gain reduction in the style of an UV meter. Line 6 has that added to their Helix Native plugin and it comes very handy. Adding that to the quad cortex would be a nice advantage.
Also in all the legendary compressors like the LA2A or the 1176 there is an UV meter so you see what is happening.

4 Likes

this is a must!

3 Likes

So what does neural DSP think about the gain reduction meter in the compressors ?
I feel like I’m kind of guessing when using the compressors.
What do you other guys think ?

4 Likes

Yeah same here. I am really sad it’s not implemented yet. I miss it especially on vocals.

3 Likes

It would be extremely helpful if each compressor had a gain reduction meter on the screen… I hate to say it, but like the Helix :grimacing:

2 Likes

Agreed 100%, would be hugely helpful

2 Likes

I’m in!!
It will be a very nice addition.

2 Likes