Dust Protection QC

Hi Guys,

I recently gigged with my qc at an open air. It was quite dry the days before. Afrer the show, my whole gesr was covered in dust and dirt. Now i am concerned about getting too much dirt inside the qc through the venting slots.

Any ideas how to protect it without blocking the airstream? Or am i just freaking out about nothing?

1 Like

I cannot think of a solution here. Since it surely is not good to cover the vent holes.

Blow the dirt out of the device carefully.

@YMH91 - I would reach out to support@neuraldsp.com to see if they can give you some suggestions if you’re concerned about it!

Wouldn’t it make more sense if Neural answers here in this thread? Isn’t this forum to share information about the QC?

3 Likes

The bulk of my gigs are in dusty, hot outdoor venues. So far my QC has been performing like a champ…!!

So far i also havent had any problems. But we are talking about an almost 2k piece of gear.
I want it to hold up as long as possible.

Thought about adding a ultra thin metal mesh fabric. I used some of those for my pc.

As long as it’s dust it should be harmless for the electronics, I guess. If you ever opened a PC after some years of use there’s a lot of dust inside and it works perfectly fine. More often than not electronics are not wather-sealed, even in outdoor-used devices. I would just take a vacuum cleaner with a brush nozzle and vacuum the outside of the unit after outdoor use in dusty environments.

It would be interesting to know if NeuralDSP did any endurance tests with their rotary encoder foot switches in particularily dusty conditions.

this - there are no moving parts or fans, and therefore nothing for the dust to really DO short of some weird scenario or an absurd amount blocking heat transfer.

1 Like

Company called Decksaver in UK make clear polycarbonate dust covers for synths and DJ gear. I contacted them about tooling up to make a Quad Cortex cover. They need more enquires from QC users. So please spread the word and hit them up.

https://www.decksaver.com/support/contact-us/

1 Like

I assume, you want PARTIAL dust cover, as you do not want to cover the ventilation openings?

Anyway few years ago my bass player created for his gear the perfect dust cover: Big, “sealed” box with dust filters mounted on in- and out- vents. Worked like a charm, and required external midi pedal to control the effects.

i would just use canned air to blow as much of it as possible out, and it should not have any dust related issues

neural doesn´t get involved in this forum it´s for users. the mods are not neural related either

Since cooling for the QC is completely passive (no fan), I’d be cautious of anything that would reduce air flow. Any filter with pores larger than dust particals won’t help much. Anything with smaller pores would be to restrictive unless it has a lot of surface area. Not practical for a pedalboard.

Hi temperatures would do more damage than a bit of dust. I’d lean more toward vacuuming and a soft paint brush to loosen dust at the vents. Compressed air might force dust collected around the vents deeper into the cabinet.

There’s also a company in Gdansk, Poland that makes covers. They can be found on Ebay and they ship internationally.

Hmm never had to think about this since most pedals are fully enclosed, chonky metal boxes, save for the jacks. But, goodness, OP’s got me sweating. The QC’s vents are pretty open. Surely dust buildup over time is going to hamper hardware performance :scream:

To borrow from the PC Master Race, I wonder if magnetic fan covers might be worth considering, to directly cover the vents (for those only wanting to cover the vents).

For example:

Again, I’d be more concerned about thermal build-up than dust but maybe your dust situation is worse than I’m imaging. If so, I feel sorry for your singer(s). :shushing_face: :laughing:

Keep in mind that this “magnetic” grill won’t hold to the QC’s aluminum case. You might try Alien Tape. It holds very firmly but won’t leave sticky residue.