Dedicated Cab Sim Bypass in I/O

I want to suggest a possible feature that was able to be done on the Kemper that I know will make the cortex even better than it is already. My suggestion is the ability to choose which output bypasses any cab IR… for example I go to the I/O screen and go to let’s say output 1L and there is an option to toggle Cab IR… with that I can then choose Multi out and send let’s say output 2,3, or 4 to front on house with the cab IR active and output 1 being that it has the cab ir bypassed can then go to a poweramp and sent to a cab on stage for stage volume…

Don’t know why this isn’t getting more traction. Its such a useful feature for a device like this.

The customer journey here is that a preset is build at home using headphones or monitors, then caring the device to gig using a solid state amp for on stage sound while, like you said, having front of house getting the final sound including cap IR.

2 Likes

This would save me so much hassle when building presets. I run stereo into FOH and mono into a cab on stage.

The wiring, splitting and reverb duplicating I have to do to get around this is a bit of a pain.

1 Like

This as a feature on its own is not necessary. You don’t need to split or duplicate anything to do this. just put an fx loop (send) block just before the cab block and your stereo outs and use one of the other outputs.

Don’t think that abusing the clean UI with hacks is the best way to go about it. A user who wants to be creative or adapt to a situation doesn’t want to come up with some out of the box routing ideas, just give us the option to make certain things global settings. Clean, easy and most importantly intuitive.

2 Likes

I do this on my Kemper Stage, as well. FOH & monitors get a signal with the cabinet and I go monitor out with the cab sim bypassed to FX loop return on a JCM900. I have the main output set to -20db and the volume knobs only controls the send to the amp which allows me to control what I hear on stage. Before you poo-poo this, yes you are technically running an amp thru an amp, but it’s not that bad PLUS IF the profiler/modeler goes down you have an amp you can quickly plug into to keep going. If you use a wedge you can balance your sound between the wedge and the amp and find an amazing sweetspot on the stage where the amp/guitar become super responsive. So, another vote for the QC to be able to bypass the cab sim AND and assign the volume knob to selected outputs . Before you say this is stupid you need to try it. It sounds great AND you have a backup amp ready to go, if needed.

1 Like

I have FX after my cabsim in the signal chain (reverb, delay, EQ, compression) that I need to be sent to my guitar cabinet. The Kemper makes it easy to do this and the Quad Cortex does not.

When I gig with my Kemper, I disable the cabsim on the monitor output which goes into an open back guitar cabinet powered by a class-D amp. I lenjoy the acoustic nature of dipole (open back) cabinets, which cannot be replicated with convolution effects, and I also like having a traditional cabinet on stage for aesthetics.

If you want run your Quad cortex like this, here are the current options that I can think of:

1. Just don’t send your post-cabinet FX to your monitor (not a good option)

2. Duplicate all of your post-cabinet FX to the split monitor signal chain. (works but is extremely tedious: if you want to edit any parameters of your post-cab effects, you have to adjust the parameter in both your FOH and monitor signal chains).

3. Make your cabsim the last thing in your signal chain, so your reverb, delay, compression, and EQ go between your ampsim and cabsim. (works and is convenient, but technically speaking this is not where mixing effects would be applied when making a record).

What I am going to do is go with option 3 when playing live. When I record, I will also split off a line right at the input for reamping later.

1 Like

option 3 is normal - there’s no downside to doing it this way because cab sim is only a linear time dependent EQ. It shouldn’t change the sound unless your FX react differently based on input EQ. But FWIW I think it only works as it does in the kemper because of the fixed chain. It’s not actually that simple to disable the cab per output on something like the QC. I’m honestly not sure how it could be implemented here in the requested format at all

This is a must have feature for live players!

1 Like

+1 from me. One of the great things about the Kemper was the ‘Monitor Cab Off’ function. Having to add an additional lane just to turn off the cab sim for each patch would be a real pain, and I’m not gunna do that :sweat_smile:

1 Like

You’re probably right about the fixed position with the Kemper enabling this. Not on the dev team for this product but I envision (logically) that the signal being designated to output XYZ omit the modification to the data that any cab sim blocks add to it. Who knows if that is something they can do but it doesn’t hurt to ask! It was a supremely loved feature on my kemper.

yeah - the issue I think is that even though that sounds simple, you then have to split the processing in parallel and apply the remainder of the chain (which could include amps, captures, etc) in parallel which requires another processing path. It sounds simple from a use case standpoint, but what this really requires is likely beyond the processing capability given the architecture and the way DSP is used.

But I dunno, that’s really just my theory. It would be useful - but one way around this without using a new lane is to use the FX send before the cab for your amp output

How should the unit deal with amp+cab captures in this scenario where no additional cab block is used?
It’s very popular to have cabs “baked in” into the amp capture.

New to the QC, coming from Helix and I love this idea!

With the Helix I’ve been running a (cabless) signal with stereo effects, ping pong delay etc, to my stereo power amp and two 2x12’s for stage. Then I also run stereo out to FOH. On the Helix you can add a stereo cab to the end of a second path for FOH out but that doesn’t work with QC because the cab-sims sum to mono.

I’d been hoping for Neural to add stereo cabs, but this solution would be even better, no setting up splits to a second path just for the cab-sim and the FOH signal would have the cab where it theoretically should be in the chain!

Gonna try that, thx! Actually, wait. That wouldn’t accomplish getting everything but the cab, wouldn’t you lose everything after the cab?

@2342 You wouldn’t - this would only be for separated cabs. Kemper cheats to accomplish this.

@MikeyB777 the cabs are stereo - it doesn’t make sense to have a Pan parameter if they are summing to mono - are you sure you’re using the output for this correctly?

Make the cab blocks the last thing in your signal chain, and place the fx loop send block just before the cab (after all other effects). In my case I place the fx loop block just before I split the path at the end of the chain which goes to two cab blocks panned in stereo, one with a slight delay for sending to the main stereo outs.

1 Like

If Neural made cab blocks pass through a stereo signal, or made a stereo enhancer block, we wouldn’t need to run two cabs to get a stereo separated signal:)

1 Like

They’re stereo out but not stereo in, at least as far as I can tell? So if you put the cab after a ping pong delay it sums the delay to center. You can pan the mics on the cab left or right but the delays stay down the center.