CorOS 2.3

Ok, so to set out my stall, I’m not a fan-boy of any type of device made by any brand, whether it’s an amp-modeller, or a mobile phone, or a pair of skis… if it’s good, it’s good, and I’ll call it if I think improvements need to be made (and IMHO there’s still a long way to go with fixing some of the nonsensical/illogical UI issues with the QC)

BUT

CorOS 2.3.0 was an unexpected surprise, and it is perhaps the first time I’ve updated my QC and found some really useful features (for example Hybrid Mode has been a big disappointment since that landed and I never use it)

A big thumbs up here though to Neural for 1) at last allowing us to turn off auto-footswitch assigning, and 2) Pinning favourite devices at the top of a device list - I really like this feature!

So thank you for a great update. As I said there’s lots more to do to make this machine all it could and should be, but we are behind you all the way if you keep improving it :pray:t2:

ps, I’d still love to see the IR Loader placed next to the Cab loader in the Device list though!

5 Likes

This update proves that they listen.

4 Likes

Excellent to see the new ‘Stomp Mode Bypass Assignment’ feature. Bravo! When I am not just using one of my existing presets as a new preset template, I think I can get used to adding my blocks in the correct order to enable them to auto-assign to the switches I prefer. Favor this new option vastly over the previous baked-in auto-assignment.

If I could enhance things from here, I would add another option allowing users to select a default switch assignment (or no switch), for any given block. With a popup dialog warning if that switch is already in use and the option to either reassign to another switch, or to proceed and set up a “Multi” stomp switch.

I know there are also going to be some users who are pretty jazzed to see ‘MIDI Clock Out’.

2 Likes

Just tried the new ‘Stomp Mode Bypass Assignment’ feature and was immediately stymied. I use scene/stomp hybrid mode with my stomps on the bottom row. The quirks in hybrid mode continue to frustrate me and interact poorly with the new auto-assignment option. Auto-assignment currently works best if you do not use hybrid mode with stomps on the bottom row.

I now have two issues with the QC’s hybrid mode. Firstly, we can’t jump to an eight-button stomp or scene mode from scene/stomp hybrid mode. We are limited to four stomps and four scenes. You can only jump to an eight-switch preset mode.

The same rules apply to other hybrid mode combinations. The QC doesn’t allow you to jump to an eight-switch version of any mode (preset, scene, or stomp) that you are currently using in hybrid mode. Why? Awful implementation. Needs to be changed.

Secondly, now you can have your pedals be auto-assigned to the switches in the order of block creation. Fantastic! But no, not so fast, if you have your stomps on the bottom row of hybrid mode as I do, your footswitch assignments don’t even show up until you’ve created your fifth block. That’s because the bottom row (your stomps) is switches E-H and the auto-assign starts with switches A-D.

If you want to use auto-assign, you have to make eight footswitch assignments in any preset where you want four of them to show up in hybrid mode, stomps on bottom-row. A serious lack of integration of auto-assignment with hybrid mode unless you use stomps on your top row.

Sure, I could flip my scenes to the bottom row and run my stomps on the top. Not my preferred layout and it would be different than what I use on other modelers. I try to keep their layouts fairly consistent. Additionally, now I would have to make E-H my primary-use scenes as they will be the only ones visible in hybrid mode with scenes on the bottom row.

Not the worst thing in the world but it goes against good UI design, and it makes your full eight-scene layout unintuitive as the scenes have to wrap from the bottom row to the top if they are to end up assigned to footswitches that are visible in hybrid mode with scenes on the bottom row. Not to speak of all the work that went into presets that have A-D as the first four scenes.

Neural, please improve hybrid mode, make it more flexible, and consider how you might better integrate auto-assign with it. This seems to be part and parcel of the more comprehensive need for more flexible footswitch assignments as well as an improved hybrid mode. That lack is causing the new auto-assignment feature to be far less useful than it could be.

Anyway, sorry to be critical, I try to focus on the positive when a new firmware rolls out, I know developers worked hard on it. Won’t deny that not being able to leverage this new feature properly in hybrid mode is a letdown. Hope it gets addressed.

1 Like

I remember when the hybrid mode came out I was excited for a few minutes until I realised all the problems it would create. So I haven’t been using it ever since. This honestly was one of the biggest let downs so far for me personally, as I simply can’t wrap my head around why they would implement it in the way they did. I really don’t think this will change until a complete overhaul of the hybrid mode comes with another major update.

1 Like

it’s kind of weird that a lot of these most-requested features are being implemented in more of a ‘work-around’ form than a fully-realized, flexible function. The majority of the ones implemented so far haven’t quite worked as requested, they just sort of address some of the issue.

Hopefully they’ll continue to refine and implement more flexible configurations-
we definitely need it!

4 Likes

I do like the idea of a user designated default footswitch assignment ’ I always use the lower 2 f/s for OD/Distortion for example. And I always place the f/s I’m least likely to use on the top row.

Why not add this as a feature request?

1 Like

IMHO it’s ok to be constructively critical even if you make those criticisms immediately after an update is released, if the update is wide of the mark for whatever reason. Yes, it’s nice to compliment developers and acknowledge the work they put in to releasing an update, but remember, Neural DSP isn’t a charity! They need to continue to support updates for the QC for two reasons, firstly to get it where it should be, and secondly to keep it abreast, if not ahead, of the increasing competition. Without doing that the device proves unpopular and will fall behind, which will affect sales / future intent to continue to make hardware etc. So it’s not our role to be nice to them just because they’re working hard; our relationship with QC is essentially a business relationship.

It’s great to think that Neural listen to us - but do we really know that things like the option to turning off auto-footswitch assigning are introduced as a result of the things we say here, or is it just one of the things that Neural has always planned to add? We’d like to think it’s the former of course.

2 Likes

Done!
Vote here:

2 Likes

Sadly, and not for the first time, now I’ve spent more time with an update, I find it disappointing; in this case I’m talking about the new ‘pinning’ function to put your favourite devices at the top of a list;

1. It seems you can only pin something within the pop-up device loader list that appears when you ADD a new block from within the grid, and…

2. …you can’t pin something from within the Directory itself.

3. When you view the directory there is no indication of which devices you have already pinned - they don’t appear at the top of the list, they appear wherever they would appear in the list if you hadn’t pinned them already, and there is no icon to show you that you’ve pinned them, so no way of knowing which are pinned and which aren’t (when viewed within the Directory, that is)

4. Worst of all you can’t pin IR’s, which is probably the device that most needs this function seeing as you can have 1024 different IR’s in your library

It’s this sort of thing that I find increasingly frustrating with the QC; a seemingly ‘great’ update, that on closer inspection seems to be poorly thought out or illogically implemented…:roll_eyes:

3 Likes

I agree totally with this point. Pinning IR’s is really the most important function for me

1 Like