CorOS 2.0 release / communication of progress

Thank you for the feedback. Regarding becoming a tester; our testers go through a stringent application process, we don’t just accept anyone. Our head of QA isn’t looking to add new testers to the team just now, but when applications open we’ll be sure to publicise it here.

3 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to write this. I understand that we need to be more transparent and communicate more frequently.

We are planning some events in Japan around spring, and I hope we get to meet you there!

1 Like

Sorry for making so many rude comments.

Japanese users are very much looking forward to it.
And it’s great news that you’re planning an event in Japan! Thank you!

2 Likes

I’ll hold you to that!

It’s coming, but not in 2.0.0.

Sorry, I meant to come back to this!

Sorry for the radio silence on this matter! We tested several PSUs but didn’t find any to provide adequate and consistent results. We have been looking into others, as well as manufacturing our own, but the lead time for parts in many cases is 30+ weeks, just to build a prototype. After building a prototype it needs to be tested, parts might need to be changed, and the wait continues. Additionally, the legal proceedings you need to go through for compliance to be able to sell a PSU globally is also incredibly lengthy.

I will follow this up with our QA team and come back with a bigger update in due course.

Thanks everyone!

14 Likes

when you guys come out with the new PSU, do we get replacement for our original psu ? or do we have to buy it also?

Well, Fractal did just that back in the day - hyped their editor for their Axe II. «Coming soon» was the promse for months while the previous working editor was taken down during the wait leaving users in the haze with no editor. They responded badly to questions regarding release.
Fractal has grown since then and done a far better job with support i’ve been told.

During the too long wait for the axe edit release i sold my axefx II and then bought the more user friendly Kemper.

So comparing the situation with Neurals CorOs 2.0 to Fractal today is not actually fair.
The updates on both the Kemper and the Helix was also a bit slow in the beginning and not much info was given on what to expect.

Allthough i understand the frustration on the wait, i now have an perfectly working and easy to manouver unit with my Quad Cortex. And i expect it to be better with the 2.0
Im gigging with it, and im quite happy with the tiny footprint!
To me, the Axe Fx II without the axe edit was like gigging with a 80s Akai sampler, and i had too much work going on to be waiting on Fractal.
A similar situation on the wait for the devs, but yet a better situation now with the QC beacause in my opinion it is a more intuitive unit.

3 Likes

It’s been 80+ weeks since users have emailed in with noise issues and Neural DSP promised a new power supply for them.

This is the same response from Neural DSP since then, and it’s disappointing to hear there has been no progress in all that time. 30+ week lead time, certification/legal proceedings, etc., could’ve been done already.

I’d love to hear a bigger update after you follow up with the QA team. But if not, could you just be up front in letting your users know this is super low priority and that we should move on?

1 Like

Well if you step onto the scene promoting a product claiming it to be better than anything out there one the marked… you better have your shit together… Basic things like a proper file system, editor, needs to be there from day one. The only thing it’s better at right now is the capture function.
It sounds better to me than the Kemper. Routing and effects are not close… in that department the AXE FX is in a different class.

That said I’m capable to make great sounds with the unit. I find I can easily live without an editor. But a proper file system you can backup to a computer and sell if you like to, I think is crucial for the unit to survive. There’s a huge marked for selling captures. Just look at all the guys selling Kemper profiles.

3 Likes

Hey Dan,
Really enjoying my QC. Great bit of kit. Looking forward to future updates. No rush.
Cheers
Bren

8 Likes

100% agree. Based on my limited experience on the forum and discord it seems like this is the cause of most of the frustration from customers and it is a pattern that goes very far back to the start of the companies earliest announcements. You’d think they’d learn and adapt their comms approach. The company appears to (repeatedly) speak prematurely about when the things they are working on will be ready. I get the motivation to share exciting progress but by (repeatedly) alluding to overly optimistic GA timelines it just stirs things up and causes PTSD for everyone each time those dates are missed. It baffles me why Neural continues to take this approach. They are just fanning the flames. Either stop sharing stuff under active development or share stuff that’s under active development and be super clear there’s no timeline (don’t provide updates like it’s now in beta or should be out in the coming days if no show stoppers are found.) If you’re gonna share what you’re working on given how vocal this community is a public roadmap would make a lot of sense making it super clear what’s actively being developed and what is not so folks can stop asking and you can defer to a regular update on the state of things you’re working on. It would be nice to see them make an announcement about a release timeline ONLY when it’s in GA. Totally reasonable to take a stance that they do not give timeline updates and won’t comment and just leave it at that. Would be super reasonable to announce 2.0 on its own blog post and in the next monthly update remind folks it’s out and discuss what’s being actively worked on next.

I disagree and think this is a very bad take. I think folks just want the product to work better for their needs and wants. They have either read about features that are coming, have used products that have things this does not and/or they have a product that is perhaps causing some pain. It appears just about all of them love this product and they are eager to get their hands on things the company has pre-announced. That’s all reasonable to me and it doesn’t make them whiny and I do have empathy for them. We don’t need to demonize folks for speaking out. There are just a lot of fans of what Neural is doing and imho Neural is communicating very poorly with just about everyone. When a company is as fortunate enough to have developed this sort of passionate base there is a responsibility to have great community and comms to support the team doing the development and the customers buying, supporting and evangelizing the product. I don’t think it’s fair to label a bunch of folks whiny. And for the small minority who are regularly crossing a line going so far as being rude they are likely not being whiny they are more likely being jerks. Folks being frustrated and voicing their irritation is very OK and will make Neural stronger if they can process and react to the feedback. Folks being nasty to others are rude or expecting unreasonable things is a diff case and prob not helpful to any (including themselves.)

2 Likes

Not sure if this was entirely true in the early days, although I suppose I could have missed an announcement. If I did it came very late. I own an Ultra back from Fractal’s earlier days. There was a lot of hype and excitement in the Fractal community at one point regarding the new editor and firmware that was coming out. And I was enthusiastically awaiting it. When it finally arrived it only worked with the Axe FX II. They had “end of lifed” firmware and editor support for the Ultra.

I remember being bitterly disappointed as Ultra owners had assumed the update was coming their way as well. As I said, perhaps I missed an announcement or perhaps Fractal did not want to kill off the last trickling sales of the Ultra before the new update arrived that did not include it. Either way I can understand their sales strategy, but it did not make it any easier to accept at the time. Users would have much preferred they continue to support the Ultra.

Just to be clear, I still love Fractal products and I am not defending poor communication by any company. Just pointing out that every one of the major players has made missteps or, less pejoratively, just decisions in their communication or support at one point or another that resulted in disappointment from their users. Some more egregious than others.

Seems like the 2.0 update delivery is imminent now and hopefully that coupled with better communication and delivery on initial marketing promises will lead to greater trust in Neural going forward.

3 Likes

Taken out of context. I was referring to people who buy knowing full well about what the feature set really is, and then get on the missing promises bandwagon as if they had been wronged from the beginning, not to people with complaints in general.

3 Likes

While this thread grows… I have learned 12 Polyphia tunes, on my off-hand. Bicker less, practice more

8 Likes

Reality is that Neural has said a lot of stuff is “coming soon” over the years and it’s very reasonable for a new buyer to have seen prior statements in interviews/etc, stopped tracking the evolution and finally raised the thousands of dollars in cash they needed to buy it. It’s also reasonable that a new buyer would not have gone down the research rabbit hole of figuring out what the heck the darn thing supports now then get it only to be disappointed because they came from another platform where a feature existed (like a desktop editor) or they swore they heard something was “coming soon” a year or two ago and assumed heck, that should be there now. I mean, sure, everyone can do their homework but I can see how that would be frustrating. And, I feel for someone who spends their hard earned money on a product and is disappointed. I don’t think they are being whiny if they are bummed out about it and expressing their feelings. Many probably didn’t realize they cared about a certain feature (say a desktop editor) until they got the thing and experienced the workflow in their studio. I think it’s OK to have empathy for folks who wish something existed that has been discussed. And, you know what, they will get it some day and hopefully can be kind to the community and get the most out of a very capable device in the meantime. Worst case they can also sell the thing if it doesn’t work. But, I think it’s good folks are asking for stuff and expressing their painpoints it makes it clear where Neural can focus efforts. My main point here is that we don’t need to write someone and their feelings off as whiny because they are frustrated and expressing it. So what if they bought the thing when some here paying super close attention already knows that the feature doesn’t exist yet? If it’s a painpoint and it’s frustrating that person that sucks for them and I feel for them.

2 Likes

I will try to let people be disappointed with the QC if they want and not argue anymore.
Hope they also let me be happy with my QC. :wink:

Still, there were very good points in this thread and especially the statements from @dan were very interesting and gave me a good impression and confidence.

7 Likes

I think this is a great plan. The device is incredible AS IS.

8 Likes

I’m thrilled with what the QC can do, I’m just not so thrilled that we were promised more and its been literally years since features were said to be coming soon after launch. Also 2.0 has pretty much been implied to be coming out any day now for the last three months. I love my QC, I just feel a little misled about its capabilities and/or the timeline of those capabilities and up until Dan chimed in here I think many of us have felt pretty ignored.

2 Likes

If you have learned 12 Polyphia tunes in the brief time this topic has existed - mad respect and I am selling off my guitars as I clearly don’t deserve to be playing them! Those are some crazy talented players with complex tunes and arrangements. :grinning:

Yes, that’s a completely fair assessment. I just see a lot of the same people doing it across multiple platforms - people who are clearly in the know and have been for a long time. I absolutely sympathize with anyone who truly missed important information pre purchase even long after it was well known (actually myself being one of them).

1 Like

and… blindfolded!

2 Likes