Capture noise cancellation

Recently I tried capture some amps with a Torpedo captor X ( using as a load box WITHOUT CAB SIM ) and had some dissapointing results.

Every gear including amps and mic pres, all of them some kind of noise. Signal to noise ratio.

When capturing some noisy amps using this kind of load box, the capture result could be a bit weird.

From my exprience, after capturing somewhat noisy amps, the capture result seems fine at first but when playing long sustaing chords, the noise that was present in the actual amp comes up after few seconds and fades away white the guitar signal is still ringing.

I have discussed about this with the customer support, chekced everything (no peaking during capture, cables, etc) but canā€™t find a perfect solution.

What I want to suggest is

I donā€™t expect it to be fixed right away and be flawess when capturing somewhat noisy environment (amps, or using devices like Captor X and UA Ox box)

BUT If you could develop a technology to cancel out the noise it has in the capturing process, I think that would make the QC even better.
Not like how a noise gate works where it has a threshhold. Something like an X-noise plugin from Waves or RX de-hum where I can make it ā€œlearnā€ the noise frequencies and cancel it out.

I hope you will look deeper into this in the near firmware update.
I really like the QC and plan on using it for a long time.
I think it has so much potential and room for development including the stuff we are currently discussing about.

Hi @Jacob and thanks for the feature request. Since you have already reached out to support, I wonā€™t recommend them here etc. Oddly enough, I have captured about 10-12 different amps and some were much noisier than others but oddly enough, the noise didnā€™t get captured and the captures would often sound better than the actual amp with the noise etc. This seems to be the norm IMO so I wonder if there is something specific in the method you are using to capture and or specifics using that load box?

1 Like

Iā€™ve found that whether or not thereā€™s noise during the the capture process depends on a number of wiring/hookup & setup factors; however, it never seems to affect the quality of the resulting captures in my experience. Itā€™s strange that you feel youā€™re hearing the noise in the resulting captures themselves. Try doing your captures with the capture input signal set to ā€˜Instrumentā€™ rather than ā€˜Micā€™ as that may well remove the noise entirely for you.

1 Like

Hi

Thanks for the advice.
Are you capturing just the amp with a load box ? Or are you micing the amp?

Iā€™ve seen a video where Pete Thorn says there is some kind of ground loop when making captures. He recomends using a Line Isolation Box between the QC and the amp. They are cheap, so Iā€™ve got one. Still waiting for it to arrive.

2 Likes

No problem; hope it helps. :slightly_smiling_face:

For my captures Iā€™m going through a Suhr RL into a Two Notes Torpedo (I dislike the load in the Two Notes products so thatā€™s why I go through the Suhr RL first).

1 Like

In my experience the expense is not necessary as the noise doesnā€™t affect the capture itself & if it really bothers you while making your captures then you can often get rid of it by simply toggling to the ā€˜instrumentā€™ setting instead of ā€˜micā€™ (the grounding works differently this way as it disables the XLR function of the combi inputs).

1 Like

ā€¦just thought that I should point out that you obviously need to use an XLR to TRS cable, not XLR to XLR, if using the method that I described in my previous post.

Willing to bet the noise is coming from your environment as you are playing, and not the capture itself. Captures generally will be less noisy IME

4 Likes

Thanks again

I will definately try the xlr to trs cable.

I have had pretty good results just using a real mic in front of the cab but only when using the captor X that creates weird noise in the capture result.

Thanks again for all the advice

1 Like

In my experience, the capture out signal level is really high.
When setting the instrument level and in 1 level when capturing, how do set them roughly ?
I set both of them very close to the peaking line but still green.
should I set them lower ? Especially the in 1 level?

I am using Captor X for capturing right now and looking at the meters on the captor x I donā€™t see them peaking both input and output.

BUT

because IMO the hardest signal I can get from my dry guitar compared to the capture out signal level, it could affect the in 1 level of thr QC and could be peaking there. Since thereā€™s no monitoring level meter on the QC during the capture, we donā€™t really know if it peaked or not.

You have no control over the level of signal thatā€™s sent out during the capture process.

In terms of the level controls in the capture windowā€¦

The ā€˜In 1ā€™ control is important as it dictates the return level back to the QC. Ignore the Instrument Input control & leave it at 0.0db as it makes no difference to the capture whatsoever and is just there to confuse people (did I just say that out loud? Haha!).

Also note that how you have your global input level set in the I/O window greatly affects how your captures will respond when inserted into the grid & put to use. Every capture is different so this setting needs to be experimented with in order to find the sweet-spot for you individually.

Hope that helps. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hey @Jacob Im having the same issue with my device where a white noise sound kicks in once the guitar goes between a certain volume range and then goes away once the note fades out. This seems to happen with all the captures Iā€™ve used (some are worse than others) even ones that I have downloaded from the cloud. Did u find any way to fix this?