A little appreciation post for the QC

I have my QC now since November and always liked it. It is very easy to use and sounds great. But now I had to send it to Ndsp to repair and I never thought I miss it so much. No pc to edit the settings, one big control nob to control volume and the feeling is just there.
For the time being I’m using the imperial Plugin and a midi Footswitch, which works well enough, but I just miss the pcless, physical option, the QC represents.
Sorry for the long post, but there was very much negativity regarding the updates and missing features.
I’m not saying that it’s wrong to complain, but I just wanted to express my absolute enthusiasm, which I realised the moment, I had to sent it to repair, because I miss playing guitar and bass with it.

7 Likes

I agree, my experience has been nothing but satisfying. I’m playing more, have used it for performance and I’m totally happy using it.
Despite any missing/promised features, it can absolutely be used and enjoyed in its present state

7 Likes

I got news for you, I’ve had my Quad Cortex, pretty much 2 years and every year I had to send it back for repair, I did enjoy it but it doesn’t seem like it’ll stand up to normal wear and tear of gigs. I’ve put mine on a sabbatical and went back to my Mod Dwarf which is like a tank but has issues also but it still keeps working…

sorry to hear that you’ve had trouble with yours. Hopefully they took care of you on the repairs. There are lots of A-listers out there touring with the QC presently, but I know that doesn’t help much in your case.

I bought the kickstarter Mod Dwarf at the same time I preordered the QC. I got the Dwarf a little sooner than the Quad, and I used it for a while but it was TORTURE to try to use it without a computer. Then Mod went bankrupt and disappeared for a while. After the QC arrived I never plugged the Dwarf in again (except recently to update and check out the amp capturing feature) Apparently Mod has reorganized and is back in business, but there are still lots of people who never received their unit from the Kickstart program.

I must say that Neural DSP took care of me and fixed the unit both times real quick!! I will use it again, I’m just giving it a sabbatical!!! I’m not sure you knew that the Mod Dwarf can be programmed from your cel phone or tablet? I purchased a blue tooth USB dongle and can program the unit anywhere. Keeping the conversation real, is the USB Bluetooth dongle as fast as a computer, no it is not… And you’re right Mod had a bunch of problems which they still have not gotten out of yet… a new one is the Expression Pedal that’s been delayed… :roll_eyes:. Enjoy your Quad and make great music with it!! All the best!!

2 Likes

Absolutely and there are many good options for guitarists these days. For me it’s the good UI and the feeling of the qc. I don’t need a computer to dail in tones or to jam with the looper. I’d love the possibility to get some drumloops into the looper, to jam without any pc/phone around.
That would be a dream come true.
The dwarf is a good piece of gear and so is the ton x pedal. But for me, alle I need is in that small QC.
Support was very helpful and I already sent it to them. Hopefully it returns soon

1 Like

Just thought I’d share. Cheers.

2 Likes

I haven’t tried the Dwarf w/ phone or tablet yet. I was planning on letting my 14 yr-old inherit it, but we couldn’t get it to work on any of his devices. After using it on my studio Mac for a while, he said “no thanks, I’ll just use your Quad Cortex” so that kinda backfired on me.
Admittedly, it is fun to experiment with chains on the computer app, and there are some pretty cool things the Dwarf can do (the new convolution reverb IR loader has the QC beat) but I wish it was more flexible as a stand-alone. I probably should sell mine, but I’m kind of curious to see how it evolves. Best to you as well!

2 Likes

Would love to see something like this on the QC!

There are some amazing natural/man-made spaces that have been captured that would provide some really interesting reverb capabilities if you were able to load a large enough IR. These aren’t really targeted to guitar and are too large for the most part to be loaded to the QC without being truncated. They might be great on the right preset or used in the studio if a reverb IR loader was available.

They have one from a space that is described as having the longest natural echo of an any man-made structure in the world. Look for the download links at the bottom of the page for each “space”. They are free:

https://www.openairlib.net/
https://www.openair.hosted.york.ac.uk/?page_id=36

1 Like

NDSP hinted early on that longer IRs might be possible if there was enough interest shown. Since the QC was built to handle other instruments and vox, only seems fair to expand that capability

1 Like

Voted! Thanks for the link to the feature request.

1 Like