You Just Received Your QC - Was It Worth The Wait?

Here we go … Tier 1 Batch 2. Email in, Invoice paid.

1 Like

Same here! very excited!

1 Like

My time with the QC has admittedly been very little because I’ve been out of town a lot for work.
In any case I’m in love with the unit so far, to the point I could consider getting a second one to act as my interface and external DSP, if not for the price.

My one gripe is the slide up and slide down are not very sensitive, maybe I’m spoiled by my phone…

I’ll have an interesting challenge in the next week, I’ll have to create new versions of the bass tones for an old song I’ll be recording a live session for, I’ll need a “not so clean”, a distortion and a synth sound so I’ll reserve further judgment for after that.

1 Like

I have had Fractal and Helix. Headsets always sound different. I was never able to get a decent live tone with headsets. I always made patches with device into a mixer into an FRFR at home. That got me close. I never, ever touched the global EQ in the Helix. It is off. I never had a need to do more than a tiny tweak. I don’t think it is realistic to think a set of cans will sound like live. And I have Planar as well as high end drivers in. One of my headsets. The closest I actually come is with a cheaper set of OneOdio headsets. They are sort of in the ballpark.

1 Like

My experience dialing in presets with Fractal, Atomic, and Helix has been quite different. Never had any issues dialing in with headphones, either $20 Audio-Technica cans or my Beyer DT880’s. My tones always seemed to translate at least reasonably well. OTOH, I never needed a whole lot of EQ going from cans to my QSC K8’s or house wedges/FOH.

2 Likes

anyone with YouTube postings on your new QC please post them here for us to check out.

2 Likes

Received mine during lunch so I only had about 20 minutes with it. I use an ISP Vector for stage use. I will not be using it as an audio interface, as I already use an RME. 20 minutes was enough to feel that this will likely be a keeper for me. Looking forward to more time with it. And its more compact than I expected even after seeing some videos. I’m thinking they need a “find my QC feature” as it could disappear pretty easy if it wasn’t securely mounted. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just been running through the factory presets so far. Looked at the clock at I’d been playing for 90 minutes. I now understand the common comment in early reviews that you lose track of time playing this thing.

So I guess my answer is “YES!” :smiley:

4 Likes

any issues with loading up Factory Captures?

1 Like

I thought there was an issue initially but the Factory Captures dont work like Factory Presets. You have to load them like an effect. You can’t load a Factory Capture from the list of captures like if you were selecting presets.

I had to get a hold of Neural to find out was was going on. They need to move those to a different group because its confusing.

3 Likes

Nope. Took me a couple minutes to figure out where downloaded captures went but no issues with factory captures.

4 Likes

I’m still undecided… so for the next few days and weeks I’ll be looking at this and other threads to get the early users reactions and opinions… I’m also very interested to see how the first firmware update goes.

1 Like

What does it sound like compared to a tube amp?

1 Like

This is exactly how I feel. The touch screen is good, but it feels much fiddlier and more miss-prone than my iPad does. I’ve only been tapping on it for a couple hours now, so I assume I’ll get used to it and better at it. Also perhaps the target tracking and button layouts can be improved in future firmwares.

2 Likes

I’ve been fighting some tendonitis in my right elbow, so after my QC arrived yesterday I played with it for about two hours, or until my arm was on fire.

It sounds GOOD. I was listening to it through my Alclair 4-driver custom in-ears, and it’s very, very nice. This weekend I’ll go down to our practice space and put it through the full PA and check it out at gig volume.

I walked through the presets. Now, all presets suck, always, because they’re not built with your hands, guitar, or speakers in mind. But given that, these are pretty good, and do the job of demoing the unit well. They obviously lean way hard toward metal, which isn’t really my use case.

All my irritations with it are firmware-fixable. The UI to download cloud content and store it is a little cumbersome. I’d pre-favorited several presets on the phone app, and “download all of them to a particular bank” wasn’t a use case that was designed for. Extremely onesy-twosy. Which might be how I’ll do it forever after, to be fair, but it was annoying nonetheless.

I do think that the touch interaction needs some refinement. It’s very promising, but the current release feels fiddly and over-precise. Especially on the keyboard, it’s really easy to mistype. I had the unit on my desk and was therefore looking at the screen off-axis, and as a result missed probably 1/3 of my taps. I don’t know how Apple makes their touch interfaces so buttery and intuitive, but I don’t imagine that would be out of reach for Neural.

The switch-encoders feel really nice in the hand. They’re definitely closer together than my Helix LT’s, but I think it’ll work. I might experiment with some button-toppers on the back row, as long as I can still use the encoder function with them on.

All in all, I’m happy with it. The hardware is very well done, and I’m in for the evolution of the software.

7 Likes

I did two captures today, and I’m impressed. The only thing I could use some clarification on would probably be the ideal input capture level for the QC, unless I missed it in the manual somewhere? I did the red channel of my Bogner 3534 using a Suhr RL, and it went fine. I did my Engl Smolski using a Two Notes and it failed the sanity check for volume. I readjusted the volume ( could be I just bumped it, it happens ) and it went fine. Also really dig the factory captures of the Victory’s. Guess I’ll do my SLO-30 next. I’ve always wanted blue channel of the 3534 and the overdrive of the SLO in one device, so this is pretty awesome.

3 Likes

You guys are worrying me. Lots of honest feedback but, no one seems blown away.

Speak to me if you are blown away.

G

2 Likes

same here… this is my first time going into a modeler for live stage usage… I am still on the fence with this and other options in the market.

1 Like

What’s there is great but there are gaps. Not surprising in the 1.0 version of a complex product. If NDSP makes good on its commitment to regular updates, it’ll be an amazing product.

5 Likes

I own 2 Kempers, an Axe-FX III and a Helix. Received my Quad Cortex on Saturday and I have been playing it a few hours daily. The tone is excellent and on par with Kemper and Axe-FX. Better than Helix. Most similar to Axe-FX in personality and feel when playing. It is missing the broad range of effects provided by the Axe-FX. The Axe-FX is more complicated but has limitless creative possibilities (if you like that). The Quad Cortex is more limited but has a great interface visually and the form factor is amazing. At this point the Axe-FX will remain my studio go to modeler but the Quad Cortex will be tested soon on stage and at practices. Also, the Axe-FX has years of presets and tweaking behind it, the Quad Cortex has just begun the journey, wit a few tweaks and a better touch screen it could become the king of the modelers. It will certainly stay in my stable and I anticipate my Kempers may gather some dust and my Helix will find its way to ebay…

5 Likes