Van Halen Panama inspired preset

I stumbled across this by accident a few weeks ago (started with the “Tone is in your Fingers” preset) and have been having enough fun with it that I thought I’d share. Not claiming this is 100% authentic so be gentle :).

I have the OD engaged because I enjoy the extra push and smoother feel it gives when playing, and I think it sounds like a slightly heavier, more modern version of Eddie’s sound, especially when playing Panama. If you click off the OD you will get something that’s even closer and a little more responsive dynamically.

You can also chuck a flanger or phaser in front for other songs (Unchained is pretty good and while it’s a little gain-y as it is, with a phaser you can get something pretty close to Eruption).

Anyway, thought I’d share…hope someone else out there has fun with this. RIP Eddie!!

VH Panama.xml (6.9 KB)

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing this James, I look forward to trying it later today.

Would love to know what you think :slight_smile:

Hi James!
In your first message you said that we could add a flanger or phaser in front. Usually aren’t they added in the effect loop? Does it sound well when they are added in front?
Thanks

Hey ThomasA

When you put them in front you get a more exaggerated effect. Eddie’s amp didn’t have an effects loop so it was the only place to put them. It’s interesting to experiment with as you can get some different sounds depending where you put the modulation effects.

James