Updates for QC

Even though the sounds are nice, I’m quite tired of pre-launch promises not delivered, and nothing from the feature request forum has been implemented except for the tap tempo and led brightness.
The QC is nothing but lacking the finishing touch. If anyone from NDSP has objections, draw some deadlines. Soon is equivalent to never.

6 Likes

I am brand new here, but lots of comments about quality of effects and amps. I am in line for a QC, no idea of when. I like the form factor better than any of the other modelers, and the ease of programming on the unit, on the fly. And it’s I/O matches what I think I need on a small pedalboard. I spent many hours watching/listening to YT vids of the QC, and the only reason I pulled the trigger, as a 5 decades tube amp guy, is because I was very impressed with all the amp and effect tones I heard; no fizz, while I do hear fizz in the tones of fellow players using the floor Helix and FM9, although they get better with tweaking/EQ’ing. And the QC captures I have heard done seem relatively easy to do and in most cases essentially spot on; amps more so than pedals, but the few pedal captures I have heard demo’ed are pretty good!

So all these complaints about the amp and capture tones are very puzzling and concerning. I certainly recognize that things sound different live and in person compared to in a YT video, but I also think it has to do with tweaking or lack thereof (which also appears much easier - not the same as deep - on the QC than its competitors) or EQ’ing or lack thereof in FOH.

I am sure any early owners would be very frustrated by the relative slowness of delivered promises, I get that, and the power supply thing is just a bad design, IMO, but almost all the pedals on my pedal board are powered using that kind of power supply, even the expensive Strymons, etc. But again, the complaints about the quality of the tones are concerning and surprising.

I don’t see a problem with the amp/cab tones and I got good results with captures (you just have to do it a few times 'til you figure out what works best for you). Most of the fx are just fine IMHO. I mentioned above that the vibe and rotary are not to my liking. I’ve had mine a year, and gigged with it for the first few months, but there are a couple of switching things that need to happen for me to be able to gig with it. I have a buddy that loves his and has been gigging with it for about a year. That said, I look forward to this thing being a much lighter smaller alternative to my AxeFX. I’ve kept it because I too love the form factor, especially the screen, and the basics are solid…great sounding amps. It just depends on what you need. I think the important part of this conversation is that while the updates haven’t been as fast as we thought, the basic product is good. The silence from Neural bugs me tho.

1 Like

I’ve been a tube amp lover for decades. I love pedals and the tone they gave me. But as a P & W player volume on stage was a problem. I was encouraged (very strongly) to get a floor modeler. So I eventually gave in. The ability to capture amps and pedals was the deciding factor.

I have not been disappointed in the tone of the QC, Frankly, I am quite shocked at the tone I am getting. I have not even turned on a tube amp in weeks and when I did it was to capture them into the QC. The QC is everything (or at least the promise of) everything I want in a modeler. But, like many others here, I feel NDSP has not delivered on their many promises.

There’s a tone of potential not yet realized. IMVHO, NDSP is missing a great opportunity here. many of us will wait them out but there are many here that have jumped ship to Fractal or some other platform. Tone is subjective. For me, the QC delivers. But you may feel different once you get yours.

2 Likes

I probably should’ve mentioned I am using an MC6 midi controller with the QC. I consider this a work around until hopefully they give us more switch functionality. I use it to change amps ( clean, crunch,lead ) with the QC in stomp mode to change up effects ,drives, etc. as one example. It comes in handy for the looper, toggling scene,stomp modes, gig view too.

The last update 1.3.4 took a while to download and install. I think they are setting up for something big to hit with the file system. This thing was designed to be much more. I find it hard to believe it won’t happen. Just wishing it were sooner, but i’ll wait lol

Last nights show went well. It was a smaller venue of around 4 to 5 hundred. It was our first time there. The owners of the vineyard said they had never had so many to dance, and was scrambling to give us more bookings lol. They sold a lot of wine, and we had a lot of fun. We got three more bookings for other venues as well as more from that one. The best part was it only took me 15 minutes to setup and tear down :sunglasses:

1 Like

I agree, I have tried some of the others out there and the QC sounds way better than the ones I have worked with. I have spent far less time getting good tones and I am using over 40 presets for a show. Yeah, the effects are a bit lacking, but the last update did address some of those and more is coming. I run direct into our board for live shows and use in ear monitors. The articulation of the sound I am getting from my QC blow at least two of the other major manufacturers of modelers away.

I friggin’ love my QC! Had an Engl tube amp I love and played for about 14 years. Captured it in my QC and then sold it six months ago. No regrets whatsoever.

I also have no regrets because I purchased the QC because I was happy with what it was when I ordered it. In other words , not on promises to come. I also realize it is a big guitar pedal at the end of the day. Meaning, it can’t do everything, but it sounds amazing and DOES save wear and tear on my body.

2 Likes

I love mine too!

I also own an FM3. I bought it as a backup to my QC after my second QC went south. Yes, I am on my 3rd QC! But, don’t get me wrong here, I am not meaning to be negative about the QC. New products have to mature and sometimes it a painful process. I think it is everything (well, almost everything) I ever wanted in a floor modeler. After my 2nd QC went south many would have abandoned the platform. But, I believed in it! Well enough to give it a 3rd try.

My 3rd one has worked great except for a bug or two. Having said all that. I just downloaded my 5th firmware update for my FM3! The more I use fractal the more I love it. I usually create tones and capture them on the QC. I am selling presets, so I have a vested interest in both. I would strongly urge NDSP to give us what was promised in the beginning! We need an editor and the ability to port our plugins into the QC.

IMVHO, the QC is a great device! The potential is literally endless. I can only imagine where it will be once it’s matured as much as Kemper, Fractal, Line 6, etc. In many respects Fractal is currently better! Its editor, its effects, etc. are stellar. Many might even say that Fractal offers better tone. I’m not one of them. I think the QC sounds more natural.

So, I say all that to say this. NDSP, please deliver on your promises to us! We love the QC! But many feel slighted and are actually jumping to other offerings. We want NDSP to be successful. We believe in your products. Your plugins are some of the best! The QC has the potential to blow away any competition. But without the promised updates we are not there yet.

7 Likes

Looks like there will be some input forthcoming from Doug soon, he mentioned a detailed blog post in the works that will address what’s been going on lately.

5 Likes

Where did he mention this?

1 Like

He mentioned this on discord.

Just so everyone is in the loop here is the message @xush referred to and more. Stay tuned:

8 Likes

Sounds good. Today I got an update from the retailer I ordered my qc 2 months ago. Sounds like they solved some problems:

„A few days ago we received an update of Neural DSP; they had difficulties in production with a certain chip that could not be delivered according to plan. Now this problem has been solved, and they plan to deliver a considerable number of Quad Cortex to us within 40-60 days. If everything goes according to plan, your order will of course be included. Since these are statements of the manufacturer, we can unfortunately not give a 100% guarantee for it.“

1 Like

@christoph - Just wanted to confirm that this is correct!

2 Likes

This is why i keep my axe fx2 and the ax8 and using only 4 neural plugins.

1 Like

Why isn’t this happening in here? Or did I miss it?

@macphly - Doug is really busy and he tries to jump onto Discord when he can to chat with the community. If this interest you I suggest joining discord.

That information is typically shared here as well.

1 Like

This thread is about software updates, you wont get any information here on hardware delivery times for your retailer…

Locking this thread since the blog post on the state of development for Quad Cortex was posted.

You can read it here:
https://neuraldsp.com/news/quad-cortex-development-update-june-2022