Subtle Detune like 5150-era EVH

When I tried using the pitch shift block, I get more of a flange effect than a detune / chorus. Chorus block doesn’t really do it either. Anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks!

1 Like

the old studio trick: stereo out hard L/R and one row has a mono delay at super short delay time at 100% mix… if needed on that same row you could add a pitch block with a couple cents of de-tune

I tried the hard L/R pan. Shifting one side didn’t sound great. Adding a pitch detune block with different shift on the other side sounded better but still kinda flangey.

My theory is that the detune effect is accomplished using a sawtooth wave to modulate a delay. NDSP might then have accomplished the shorter latency by using a shorter average delay. That delay is in the ballpark of where a flanger operates vs. other pitch shifters that operate more in the chorus range.

If that’s the case, your suggestion of adding a delay to the pitch shift might push the average delay out into chorus territory. I’ll give that a try.

I have an old Rocktron intelliflex and it has a patch called New Ed. It’s in stereo and has pitch shift or harmonizer on each side. One side is pitch down a little bit and the other side is pitch up a little bit. Sounds exactly like Eddie’s sound on the albums.

Normally I would achieve that affect by detuning between 9 cents down on one side and then 9 cents up on the other side… I’m hoping my QC arrives tomorrow or Wednesday so unfortunately I cannot trial on this yet…

You can do that but you need to do it on two paths because the pitch block only does one detune and doesn’t pan.

I’m with the same issue here. Having my QC since yesterday. I noticed the flanging vibe when using only one pitch shifter block with mix less than 100%. Using two pitch shifter blocks in parallel and opposite shifts sounded less flanging. But it’s kind of uninspiring and complicated to realize while on other modelers you have a dedicated stereo detune block and that’s it.

EDIT: there’s actually a factory preset on the unit (18D Frankenstrat) where they tried to realize the effect. But if you ask me, it’s not even close, unfortunately.

1 Like