Sound dropout when using scenes

CorOS Version: 2.03

Describe your issue:
Hey Guys,

I’m a pretty new QC user and I might have not figured out the best way to route my patches, so I’m not sure if this is even a bug. I built a liveset patch using scenes, so I don’t get any drop outs when switching sounds. But when I’m switching to another amp in a scene, I still get a short cut in my sound. Is this normal? Is there a way to get a seamless transition from one amp to another?

Steps to reproduce your issue:

1. Step 1 Use 2 different amps in one patch
  2. Step 2 Switch from one amp to another using scenes

I expected this to happen:
I want to have a seamless transition when switching amps in my patch

I have tried the following things:

• I have tried deleting modulation effects to ease CPU load
  • I have tried giving each amp a separate line in the patch

Thanks!

1 Like

The 2.10 firmware dropped today. After upgrade are you still seeing this issue?

Update didn’t help unfortunately. I also have this issue with every preset. Not just the one i made.

Unfortunately same thing is happening to me.
With the 2.1.0 patch I tried new kraken amps (but happening elsewhere, even before update):

• switching kraken amp ch1 to ch2 is fine
  • switching kraken amp ch2 to ch1 has volume dropout

Is there an answer for this yet? I just got my QC and am dumbfounded that this is considered acceptable in such a high-profile piece of gear.

Hey man,

yeah I found something that worked for me:
I left all amps active and just turned the volume to 0 in the active scene, so that only one amp was “turned on”.
Playing live like this worked without dropouts for me.

Hope this helped :slight_smile:

There must be something else going on here. I (and many, many others) have been using scenes since they were available with no audio dropouts between them. I would have returned the unit instantly if that were the case.

I know what you mean- I feel like I have to be doing something wrong, but according to Neural DSP, this is exactly how it’s supposed to work. Here’s the response I got:

Thanks for reaching out.

This isn’t a bug. This is how we have handled switching between amp blocks and amp captures via scenes for several CorOS versions. We implemented a split-second crossfade to avoid noises when switching between different amp models. If we didn’t add that crossfade, you would hear a loud noise when switching between the two amps.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Best regards,

Neural DSP Support Team

I’ll try the volume trick that rafaelwien suggested, but wouldn’t that cut the signal if the amp was on but the volume was at 0? A block with a volume of 0 would not pass on audio to the subsequent block, right? My goal was to try to keep my signal chain on one line if possible like I can on the Helix and HX stomp.

I honestly don’t know how the dropout issue isn’t something that is talked about more. As you put it, I’m on the cusp of selling this unit because there doesn’t seem to be a straightforward way to perform what should be a very simple function. What I am learning, in light of the response from Neural and the many replies from users that say this doesn’t happen or that it’s not an issue, is that it seems like a vast majority of people just don’t notice it or write their songs in a way where it’s not obvious. Neural says it does this on purpose. OR- there is some super easy way to do this that I am somehow missing due to UI intuition bias from using other modelers for so long, because how else could so many people be using this unit and not encounter this? On a unit with 32 assignable blocks, it seems unlikely they didn’t think people would want to switch from one amp type to another in the same signal line. Line 6 figured this out, and so did Kemper, and Fractal with the AxeFX. I would call this feature “industry standard” by that measure, so I don’t think it was unreasonable that I assumed the QC could do this, as it states in the marketing that Scenes are seamless and dropout-free. Neural’s own support response refutes that.

I love the QC UI, I love the sounds, but weak MIDI implementation, the weird power cord, and audio dropouts make me think I will need to wait for a v2 if I’m going to replace my keeper for live performance. Again- If anyone has any ideas, I’m all ears- I want this to work!