Sidechaining within Compressors?

It would be a lovely thing to be able to have your compressor of choice triggered by an external audio source (effect return, an input or midi) for that sidechaining, ducking effect.

Similarly, a side chain into the env-filters would allow for some significant benefits to bass players when using an env-filter after some OD and Fuzz’s.

1 Like

Mattias Kupiainen posted this in Discord recently:
“connect kick to in2 and gtr to in1. Use In 1/2 to your row input. Then make a balance split and build your guitar tone to row 1 and let in2 go row2 untouched. Then merge these two signals and add stereo comp to create your pumping effect. Hard pan in “mixer” row1 and 2 hard left and right. Add Gain-block and hard pan it to left so only your left (in1) signal is heard. Then add mono block like compressor and it will flip the left signal to the center. You have to drive that kick much louder than guitar sound. Usually 6dBs louder is ok to trigger the compressor properly.”

I have built this as a preset template, but I’m not getting results yet. If anyone has any ideas for tweaks, let me know:

1 Like

Was planning to try this as well and see what came out of it with a gated tremolo on the moog synth (something similar to the berlin factory prest) and see if that could drive the ducking effect without requiring any external sources. Curious about the results but even from the description it sounds like this is a pretty delicate balance of settings and routing to get “right”

1 Like

I can sort of get it working with a filter instead of compressor, but the 2nd Lane signal is still leaking thru