Sidechain gate

a gate that reads the detect signal from selectable input, guitar DI. then you can put the block wherever, after reverbs/delays/amp. it opens with the clean DI signal but controlling as much lunacy as you want behind it.

Basically what the Fortin Zuul does, which they’ve already modeled in plugin form, so I’d assume it’ll be integrated at some point.

2 Likes

Yes - this is one of my biggest wishes

I want to have a loop that has delay and reverb - but a compressor after which is sidechain es to guitar DI -
So good for keep time based effects tamed whiskey actually playing - but then bloom once you stop…

1 Like

Just thought I’d clarify that what I’d really like to see is actually a compressor with a sidechain input - so you can get the ducking effect. But you’d also be able to select guitar DI as an input for that (as well as any if the other inputs)

Basically would be really nice to model the FMC Really Nice Compressor…

https://www.fmraudio.com/rnc.html

1 Like

I’m just after a gate that works off of the DI signal. It’s mostly just useful with very high gain signals (think fuzz levels of distortion), since at that point (since distortion inherently does compression too) the difference between the noise and actual signal gets smaller and smaller. However, if you trigger the gate off of the DI signal, no matter how much distortion you pile on, the difference between the noise and actual signal stays the same.

I don’t know anything about the architecture, but it feels like it wouldn’t be that complicated logic wise either, just have the gate be at the start (like the input gate), and have a movable mute that gets triggered by it, so you can put the “mute” after the last gain stage, but before any time based effects.

A sidechain compressor is a bit more complicated I think, and I’m not really seeing the utility personally (unless you use a backing track through the QC, in that case it might be useful? or to duck a looper maybe), but in any case that should probably be it’s own separate thread.

I miss that too but I prefer a compressor or eq not a gate :slight_smile:

On my old pedalboard I had an ISP Decimator 2 G-string and an ISP Decimator 2. Had the DI of my guitar going straight into the “Tracking” section of the G-string (which is what was used to control the gating) then had the actual gate section of the G-String connected after my drive pedals (before going into the front of the amp) to quiten down the noise from the pedals.

I then had the normal Decimator 2 plugged in the effects loop of my amp to gate the pre-amp hiss.

The cool thing about this setup with the ISP stuff though, is that it has a “link” cable I plugged out of the G-string and into the Decimator 2, so this allowed me to use the DI “Tracking” from the start of my chain (i.e. DI dry guitar) as the tracking that was used for both stages of gating.

This setup was amazing! I used it with a Mesa Dual Rectifier and it made it dead silent with the guitar volume rolled all the way off, but also allowed me to roll down my guitar volume (on high gain) to clean up my tone without losing the sustain and having the gate cutting in when rolling the guitar volume down.

It was also very simple to use/set, just a single “Threshold” knob, and very transparent.

This is the only thing I miss about my old pedalboard, really. So if I could run this sort of setup with the QC, mainly just so I can roll the volume down on the guitar without the gate being obnoxious like it is currently, then I’d be a very happy man.

This is exactly why I would like to see this, any of the other gates works ok most of the time, but with higher gain you usually want a higher threshold and for rolling your guitar volume down you would like a lower threshold, so you need to mess around with toggling gates. A sidechain/“DI based” gate would fix that.

I would like to request this sidechian gate so much.
In current market of noise gate sidechain input is becoming one of basic feature and provide most comfortable playability on high gain setting, especially for djent music.

Voted.

I had an ISP Decimator G-String in the past and I loved how it separated the “tracking” and the gating functions. I used a 4CM setup with my pedalboard so the Decimator would track my guitar signal before the amp, but gate the signal in the effects loop (before my delays).

I would LOVE to see this implemented in the QC.

I built the QC workaround version that Matias described a while back; haven’t used it much but it seems to do what a side-chain does:

2 Likes

Finally I achieve to do the sidechain gating with routing technique, so let me share it.
Thanks @xush for your sharing the idea to us.

In this preset I chose output of drive block as sidechain signal, and gated item(e.g. AMP) is placed at between splitter and merger.

Perhaps gate block behaved by sum level of signal from Row1 and Row2 regardless splitting signal.
Therefore need to make a level of sidechain signal much more than gated out signal to reduce effect by gated out signal.
In detail if signal level is Row1>>Row2, Gate block behave by gated output signal.(it’s same as basic noise gate behavior.)
Also Row2>>Row1, gate block behave by level of sidechain signal. This option is just we desired.

1 Like

Sidechain for envelope too, if using envelope filters. Very handy. I think there is a separate request for that but just adding to the discussion.