Shout out for the EV ELX200-10P

I’ve been on the fence as for a good speaker to use with my QC. Was leaning towards the Yamaha DXR10, but they’re hard to find. A friend highly recommended the Electro Voice ELX200-10P. It is killer, and I’m not that easily pleased. It’s loud AF, much more than I’d need for stage volume, and most importantly can reproduce the chosen cabs in the QC accurately. One of my biggest concerns was that I’d lack the amp in the room feel. Well, this thing will flap your pant legs and then some. And it’s just under 30 pounds! Give it a try. Or, order it from an online vendor and return it if you don’t like it.

1 Like

There are many schools of thought on this. If you want a guitar cab in the room sound, then get a guitar cab, do a split in the signal chain before your cabinet IR and run that output to a separate output on the QT and use a nice flat amplifier like a Seymour Duncan power stage 170 to power a speaker cab of your choice.

The purpose of the QT is to sound like an amp, a cap, and a mic. Like all the things in the signal chain between your guitar and a recoding device, or a live PA. If you want that sound coming back at you on stage so you can hear it as is sounds out front, (and your not using in-ear monitors) I would suggest just getting a nice floor wedge monitor. I’ve been using a JBL EON612 12” monitor for a while now, and I think it sounds great. REALLY great. Sounds just like my amp is off stage mic’ed up with really nice mics and fed through a monitor to me on stage.

That’s my take on it. I wanna hear how it sounds out front so what I’m playing and hearing is what the audience is hearing. That’s not always the case with an amp in the room or amp next to me on stage setup.

1 Like

The EV ELX200-10P is a wedge monitor, and my point was that it allows me to hear what FOH hears, as well as giving me that amp in the room satisfaction.

1 Like

I have the PXM-12MP and love it. In addition, our band uses ELX’s for PA, and I’m finding my guitar sound GREAT. I just decided that amp in a room isn’t what I’m seeking. I want to hear what’s the audience is getting, but like you, I’m really happy with that…my Friedman sounds huge and the Fender and Orange combos sound like combos. I’d guess I should add that I’m currently only using an AxeFX III, until the QC has a hybrid mode.

Bottom line: I think there’s something cool happening with this EV stuff. Other band has Yorkville or DB Tech arrays and Turbosound wedges, and my guitar still sounds good, but it seems better with the EV. Haven’t done a side by side tho.

1 Like

Call me crazy, but I love my QSC 8.2 as my live speaker, both for keys and for modeled guitar. Relatively light (12 kg), great projection angle (105°), and 2000 watts of amplification. That little beast sure can scream…

Unless you want earth-shaking amounts of bass, I can recommend this little box.

Mount it on a pole for ear height, or use it as a wedge - works nicely. Get two of them for a stereo setup or if you want them to do double duty as a PA for your pool party now and then.

Not the cheapest option, but certainly a lot of fun…

1 Like

What I have learned is that your speakers need some type of independent eq. The QC is greatly lacking in that department. I am using two Headrush 108’s. The sound I am getting across every setting is boomy and ice picky. You can adjust it out of every preset by removing all the bass and dialing back the treble and presence. Hopefully the unit will update with a global eq soon. But as for now, I wish I would have NOT purchased FRFR and bought something with more control.

2 Likes

I put separate 9 band graphics for out 1 and out 2. In my case it’s because I want to be able to tweak for FOH and my IEM. Since I use the EV wedge, the EQ for the house is usually good for the wedge. I do understand what you mean about boominess in the FRFR108 tho. Dialing the HPF to somewhere between 80 and 130Hz, and then, if needed (depends on the amp/cab) shaving a little around 120Hz usually works. FWIW, the chain for separate eqs looks like this (sorry for the blurry pic):

Also, FWIW, you’ll notice there are a lot of eqs there are two amps in the patch and I’d thought I’d need to tweak them__it actually sounds better with them bypassed, so I’ll be deleting two of them soon.The first eq (after delay/verb) is there for a solo boost before out 1 and 2, so I get a slight boost in my IEM. The next two are the ones I’m not using and then the first one at out 2 increases the solo boost for FOH. This way I don’t blow my brains out, but sound man doesn’t have ride my channel for solos. The second eq at out 2 is to tweak eq for FOH…I hope that makes sense.

1 Like