Sell Timeline/Big Sky and use built-in fx?

I would sell my echosystem because QC almost covers ES’s function. Delay and reverbs are great enough already, and really easy to use.
But I would like to buy a modulation pedal such as Meris LVX or microcosm. Compared to Helix, or even POD go, there are so little of modulating effects and filters available(there is no autoswell, which would be really easy to build an algorhythm) on current version of QC. Also I am not satisfied of phaser/flangers of QC. It seems like Neural is currently focusing on other aspects on developing QC’s update.

the LVX is a great (if pricey) companion to the QC, it does so many things (like autoswell and modifier filters, etc) that the QC doesn’t do yet. I’ve got one in my fx loop and it’s fantastic. Hopefully the QC will integrate some of those style fx eventually (glitch, granular, multi-tap, reverse, ring-modulator, etc)

1 Like

I’m going to keep championing this until it’s implemented–a request for adding effects to delay repeats only:

2 Likes

With headphones, there’s a definite improvement in the stereo field through the Strymons in my opinion.
The one killer difference is the lesly in the Mobius is hands down better sounding for intro to Black Hole Sun…

I can speak specifically to the comparison of QC delays and reverbs to Big Sky & Timeline. I had the QC first, and then opted to get the Strymons because I wanted some more options for studio recording. Here’s what I think in no particular order:

• Strymons have their own flavor of sound. Depending on what you’re trying to do, you can get close in the QC, but it might require a few blocks. Other things like Timeline Ice or Big Sky Chorale aren’t practically possible on the QC.

• the stereo spread and overall lushness of the bigsky is much better than QC reverbs by a long shot.

• QC can’t send tap tempo to the Strymons, so if you need tap delay, you gotta tap the QC and Strymons separately.

• none of the sound improvements on the Strymons really matter in a live mix with a full band, but are really obvious in a studio mix with headphones. So if you’re mostly using it for live use, and don’t have very specific Strymon effects you’re trying to create, then maybe the convenience of doing everything in the box of the QC is more valuable to you.

• I have one board I use for studio and live, and live I only really use the Strymons on one song intro where I need icecicles. So I leave them on the board for now. But if Neural ever gets around to making plugins available, and we can use the delay from Archetype Rabea, I’ll get my ice effect and probably won’t need the timeline live.

2 Likes

If by icicles you mean cascading pitch-shifted delays, have you tried the Icicles preset on the QC?
Is it just too DSP-intensive for your chain? Or is the Strymon Icicle a different type of effect?

I have all three. IMHO the QC has the quality of Strymon but it sounds different. I wouldn’t sell your Big Sky and Timeline. There may be a time when you want the sounds of those and then you won’t have them.

Yep, I’ve tried that patch. I do everything live with one preset for song using scenes, and all the blocks and routing it takes to recreate that one sound would just not be practical for me. And I don’t think it sounded that great, personally.

Also, I now see I used the wrong name. It’s just called “Ice” on the Timeline. Archetype Rabea calls it “Icicles,” but it’s based on the Timeline Ice algorithm.

I figured that might be the case. I’ve built a few myself based on that one, but it does fill up a preset FAST

I use external effects shamelessly with the QC. Right now I’m using the Boss RE-2 Space Echo as my main delay. It just has THE SOUND that I love.

I’m not upset that the QC can’t replicate what it does. Honestly, I use it so much that it’s more convenient to have the RE-2 on my pedalboard where I can turn it on and off at will without having to assign it to one of the QC’s switches.

Anyway, keep your Strymons. They do unique things the QC doesn’t. Don’t feel bad about it. If you’re not interested in keeping them on a pedalboard with your QC for live use, at least you can bust them out for recording purposes.

1 Like

I had, sold, and then repurchased the Keeley Halo. I am not a heavy or sophisticated user, but there is something in that pedal I love that makes me want to use it with my QC. I have no words to describe it, but to me it just sounds better than anything inside the unit. At first I resisted the idea of adding anything into the QC, but why not? It has an effects loop!

2 Likes

Have you seen this: Andy Timmons style Dual Delay sounds with Quad Cortex, Strymon Timeline, Future Factory and Boss - YouTube

2 Likes

Hey man, Yes I have. I even commented on it. Brett and Andy together was a blast to listen to them and how they interacted. Andy is one of my all time favorite guitar players. Funny I have only known about him for about 4 years or so. I have been listening to his latest album “Electric Truth” a lot recently. I only recently learned that Josh Smith produced this album. A lot of talent there! I use my pedal at church and I just leave it on the Halo setting and it does everything I really need. Simple and beautiful. Thanks for sharing this link too. Oh, and right now I am watching the new rig rundown with Tim Pierce and he has the Halo on his board right now. If it’s good enough for Tim… :smile:

1 Like