Sell Timeline/Big Sky and use built-in fx?

I’m planning my pedalboard for when the QC arrives. Those of you that have your QCs - should I ditch the timeline and big sky and just use the built-in delay and reverb fx? How’s the quality?

I mainly use tape and double delays; for reverb mostly spring, big room, and huge drones.

2 Likes

I would recommend waiting until after you get the QC and try it. The reverbs/delays are very good, but not as good as the strymon pedals. I decided convenience was more important, so I ditched all my other pedals. But if your really picky about reverb/delay quality, you’ll probably want to keep them.

I can say you’ll never buy an external OD pedal again. There is nothing the QC can’t do in the overdrive/distortion arena.

2 Likes

I agree. I think the reverb and delays are still not the best. Certainly good but not as good or as versatile as the Kemper or Strymon IMO.

Wait till you try them and then decide for yourself. Personally they are good enough for me, although I still want a plate algorithm.

Thanks for the info.

What about compressor? I have a darkglass hyper luminal right now.

I don’t use much compression either unless quite full on when playing funk rhythms live, so the QC is fine for me here. I like the fact it’s got a mix for the dry signal.

Anyone else who loves compression wanna chime in? :wink:

On the compressor, I am extremely picky (more so then reverb). I play lots of low OD rockabilly. I had a Wampler Ego and every nuance mattered. On my previous modelers, I found the compressors lacking.

So I extensively AB’d the Wampler vs the QC’s compressors. Here I was blown away. The QC did everything the Wampler could, and with slightly lower noise.

Again I’d say you might want to wait and test yourself before ditching any pedals, but I think you’ll be impressed with the QC in this arena.

4 Likes

Excellent reply. Thanks for the info:)

I had planned to keep the OE Cali76TX compressor and Strymon VOlante on my board w/ the QC. After experimenting for the past few months, I have removed the Cali compressor (did NOT see that coming) but kept the Strymon delay.
The compressors on the QC are REALLY good. A nice variety- from very simple/basic to quite flexible and multi-featured. I never thought the Cali76 would come off my board, but the QC really doesn’t seem to need it.
The delay, however- well, I can’t quite get the QC delays to sound as organic and warm as the Strymon. Granted, that’s a big ask anyway. The delays are flexible on the QC, but I don’t think the audio quality is on par with the Strymon.
I would definitely recommend hanging on to your gear for a 1:1 comparison with the QC. I was fairly surprised by what I could ditch, and what I couldn’t live without. And, of course it’s all subject to change as the unit evolves.

5 Likes

Reviving this old thread to see how ya’ll feel about the improvements in QC’s reverbs and delays after the firmware updates…. How do they currently stand up to the Strymon gear now?

1 Like

I have both and when using the QC, I found everything sounded better to me when using only the effects in the QC. I tried running a big sky, timeline and Volante in the loop of the QC but it seemed to lose fidelity/introduce something just not as desirable as using the QC alone. I put the QC on a board by itself and the strymon on a separate board if I want to use a real amp ever.

That’s my 2 cents. I feel like the reverbs and delays are pretty great. Particularly the analog delay and the new dual delay and the modulated and plate verbs.

3 Likes

That’s great to hear (except that maybe the Fx loop in the QC is not optimal… :thinking:). Thanks for the feedback!

I still think the Strymons sound a “little bit” better but I’ve taken them off the board and am using just the onboard QC fx. I don’t think the difference is discernible in a live mix (to the majority of listeners) so the convenience factor wins out.

2 Likes

That’s what I was hoping to hear. Thanks for the reply!

The QC fx are outstanding. Not inferior in any way to the Strymon big boxes. From subtle to ambient, the QC sounds excellent.

2 Likes

Awesome! Great to hear that! The QC is pretty amazing, and I know there is a lot more ahead. Thanks!

I’m currently using both in a couple presets where a couple scenes enable the loop to use the strymons and they do sound better. The current issue is you can only use 1 midi pc change per button so they’re all on or all off so I have to enable and disable the loop to bypass them. I’d like to be able to send a couple cc per button to turn off the mobius for example so I can leave the loop on all the time.

Thanks for to input! Just curious how you think the Strymons “sound better”. How could QC improve the delays/verbs? I may have to just pick up a strymon and see for myself. I was also looking at picking up an H9.

I haven’t sold anything and don’t plan on it. I still enjoy my tube amps as good as the QC is. In fact I run the QC though my Engl or Fender Deluxe Reverb.

My two cents, but I think the delays and reverbs are great. I use them all the time with no other outboard effects on my board. They are plenty flexible with expression pedals and using the onboard effects simplified my rig considerably.

This is coming from someone who had a Big Sky (which did sound solid) and a Mobius (which sounded too digital to me).

2 Likes

I agree, FWIW curiosity got the better of me and I got an H9 Max and compared verbs and delays. I think the QC was every bit as good as the H9! The only advantage of the H9 is in some of the multi-effect blocks where you could probably build an equally good sound on QC, but it would take two or three blocks. I was absolutely impressed how the QC compared to the Eventide!