Sample delay (or other means of correcting phase between two amps)

My experience has been that, like most amp setups, you can get two or more QC amps/captures in phase, but it almost always requires recording them separately and delaying one by a small amount like 17 samples in the DAW, for example, IN ADDITION to perhaps flipping the polarity.

Currently, we don’t have a delay device that will go down to the sample level, so finding amps or captures that blend in mono straight out of the QC at this point is trial and error (mostly error). Some kind of phase correlation like Waves InPhase has would make it even easier to dial in a blend of two amps/captures.

In the meantime, for example, I’m attempting to add 17 samples of unnoticeable noise to one of my IRs to correct the blend between the Freeman Lead 100 and Uber Lead amp models - because in that particular case, delaying the Freeman by 17 samples in my DAW will put the two in-phase (or as correlated as they’re going to get).

Cross-posting my notes from Phase Alignment - #5 by jtexas here:

A workaround I’ve found is to add disabled blocks to either signal chain, which will add just enough delay to nudge the phase relationship.

I discovered this hack when I noticed that my sound got out of phase when I removed blocks. For this reason I currently have two disabled cab blocks in my 2nd signal chain.

This of course heavily limits my ability to use the device, as I can’t just add or remove blocks, without risking destroying the phase relationship.

I’ve tried gaining more control over the phase issue by using the “simple delay” block, however 7ms (+ probably the delay added by the block itself) are way too much

If better phase adjustment is added to the gain block, that would be cool.

However, this still doesn’t fix the problem of needing to adjust the phase relationship whenever you add or remove blocks.

It would therefore be great to add an in-phase mode, where the device ensures all signal paths are subject to the same amount of block-induced delay.

For now I’ve come to the conclusion that as a live unit I can only use one signal path, and will reserve the ability to use multiple amps for recordings, where the engineer can adjust the phase relationship precisely.

1 Like