Add fully adjustable 360 degree phase control in splitter

Fairly new Quad Cortex user here and I love this thing. For someone who plays regularly in stereo, but often needs to sum to mono, I have noticed that almost all amp captures have some sort of phasing which becomes noticeable when summing to mono or panning center with two amp captures. It would be incredible to have fully adjustable 360° phase control for the pan controls in the splitter settings. Even though there is a phase on and off, it is usually not very effective when simultaneously using 2 amp captures that are just slightly out of phase.

A workaround I’ve found is to add disabled blocks to either signal chain, which will add just enough delay to nudge the phase relationship.

I discovered this hack when I noticed that my sound got out of phase when I removed blocks. For this reason I currently have two disabled cab blocks in my 2nd signal chain.

This of course heavily limits my ability to use the device, as I can’t just add or remove blocks, without risking destroying the phase relationship.

EDIT: I’ve tried gaining more control over the phase issue by using the “simple delay” block, however 7ms (+ probably the delay added by the block itself) are way too much

This also applies when using separate signal chains, without the splitter, so it would be great to have a more generic solution.

If better phase adjustment is added to the gain block, that would be cool.

However, this still doesn’t fix the problem of needing to adjust the phase relationship whenever you add or remove blocks.

It would therefore be great to add an in-phase mode, where the device ensures all signal paths are subject to the same amount of block-induced delay.

For now I’ve come to the conclusion that as a live unit I can only use one signal path, and will reserve the ability to use multiple amps for recordings, where the engineer can adjust the phase relationship precisely.

I have found many amp blocks to work well together with the onboard polarity reversal, but not all. I’d love to see full control of phasing on the QC.

I would argue that some combinations are close. But, even when it’s close, you really notice it when they are at equal 50/50 volume. You can make one or the other louder and it helps, but not great.

1 Like

I requested this on Feb '22… It will be a step up in terms of parallel sound processing.

Two different captures, two different amp models or the typical double path for bass guitar (one for the lows and one for the medium highs), all of that will be benefit of this feature.

2 Likes

Agreed, please make this an option asap!!