Question about stereo effects and amp blocks

Really pretty simple, but I haven’t found a solid answer in the manual.

Example setup:

Analog Delay (ST) > Guitar Amp block

Regardless of what comes before or after, is that Delay block getting summed to mono by the Amp block?

If I only wanted the one amp block and I wanted the delay in front of the amp I might as well run the delay as a (M) version, right?

If I wanted to maintain a (ST) delay, what’s the best routing? Into a splitter to two amp block where one is left and right? Or after the amp but before the cab block?

Any other thoughts or details on maintaining a stereo path or what blocks will sum to mono automatically?

yeah, it gets tricky. Your observations are correct, a Stereo block will get summed if it’s followed by an amp. Might as well use a mono version.

You could split after the delay into panned amps, or you could put the delay after the amp (PAN the mics in the cab to keep it stereo)
If you’ve got DSP to spare, you could run 2 completely separate lanes with amps and delays on each and pan them at the end.

I haven’t really researched all the blocks to see which cause mono summing; might make for a good project

If I don’t hard pan the cab settings does that also sum to mono?
Aside from running any stereo effects after the cabs, it seems like it’s best to stick with the mono versions to save on DSP if that’s a concern, right?

Yes, the cab will sum to mono if not panned.
Not sure if the stereo blocks use more DSP, but seems logical that they would.
Especially for a live performance setup, stereo is usually more trouble than it’s worth

Clearer and more comprehensive information from NDSP in the manual would be needed. Unfortunately, the best way to understand how stereo/mono behave is to experiment with some well-known device such as ping-pong delay :person_shrugging:

1 Like