Can anyone help me with this. Power requirements for things confuse the hell out of me and I don’t want to risk getting it wrong.
I’ve been using a strymon zuma for years with my big sky and timeline. Ideally I’d like to not have to replace it with another expensive power brick (like the cioks DC7) but that might be unavoidable if want my whole board coming off one power lead.
At the moment I’m powering my two strymons and a whammy 5 with the Zuma and then just using the included power supply (which unfortunately seems quite flimsy) to power the quad cortex.
I know the Ciox DC7 and the ciox crux combined could power all this?
My question is: is it possible to run a ciox crux from the 24v port on the zuma (which is what I read online) and then power the quad cortex plus my other pedals as normal from the 9v 500ma ports of the zuma.
Basically just trying to avoid having to buy a DC7 to replace the zuma.
Online searching is mixed so far. Some say it’s fine, others say it might not be. Excuse the waffling post. Any help would be much appreciated.
Quad Cortex needs 12V DC power, typically around 1.8 - 1.9 amps for most uses. Power input may spike higher than that briefly during power-up. Conservatively assuming 2A, the QC draws about 24W of power.
The Crux was designed to accept a 24V DC input, and convert it to 12V with enough current to power a Quad Cortex.
The Strymon Zuma has a 24V output for the purpose of linking Ojai and R30 power supplies. Strymon doesn’t give a proper maximum current rating for this output–which bugs the hell out of me as an engineer–but they claim it will power multiple Ojai units. A single Ojai tops out around 22.5W (5 outputs x 9V x 500 mA each).
Since the Zuma can power multiple Ojai units, it should easily be able to provide enough current in its 24V output to accept a Cioks Crux with no current or voltage issues.
That said, I can’t guarantee that the cable included with the Crux can fit the Zuma’s 24V output port. But they look very similar.
Thanks so much for your reply. That’s very helpful. Maybe I’ll try getting in touch with strymon and see if I can get any light there, but from what you’re saying, apart from the cable possibly, it should be okay. Many thanks
Great thanks so much. Very helpful thread. It’s looking very promising then, that I can achieve what I want and combine the zuma with the crux to power my QC and other pedals.