QC Runs Hot?

Hey gents, new here, as I just received my QC a week ago.

I just wanted to confirm if others find the QC runs quite hot after 30 to 60 minutes or so? I hope this doesn’t become and issue down the road. It is damn hot!

Also as a side note, I was slightly disappointed by the flimsy bottom cover, not only is it flimsy, but it rattles as well. Not sure how some can say the unit is built like a tank.

1 Like

There are a number of posts on this matter. I took some measurements using a “temperature gun” like this one:

I found that temperatures on the top surface of the QC ran 15-20°F above ambient, where the ambient temperature was measured on a nearby expression pedal (unpowered and not generating any heat of its own).

I wouldn’t be surprised if temperature varies with CPU load. I took the above measurements using a patch running for a couple hours with the CPU at 42%. I have not profiled any devices with the QC, but suspect that the increased load on the DSPs might increase the measured rise above ambient temperature.

Subjectively, the temperature of the QC feels to me about the same as a high-end laptop that has been working hard.

I’ve had laptops go into thermal shutdown; in those cases the case was uncomfortably hot to the touch, as in my not wanting to maintain contact for more than a few seconds.

The bottom needs like four more screws. My laptop is absolutely sturdier. I’m not worried about damaging the cortex but the bottom is definitely its weak point.

Thanks. I will have to try a measurement as well. Seems to me by feel it is more than 20 above ambient.

Yes, two screws on the narrow sides would help.

I’ve been leaving mine powered on all day sometimes and gigged with it, so far I’ve not noticed any more heat than I would from my Kemper etc. Especially not any level that would be alarming.

My understanding is that the aluminium chassis is also specifically designed to assist with heat dispersion.

Thanks.

Perhaps time will tell if the QC stands up to the heat.

3 week noobie here.

mine is mostly for studio use, and i keep it on many many hours during sessions

i have it sitting on a computer laptop cooling panel that has 6 fairly high power fans to circulate lots of fresh air and it never gets hot to the touch top, bottom or sides!

I tried my QC for first time yesterday and it did run hot. I propped it up today so bottom vent was not blocked and it stared cool. I ordered some rubber feet on Amazon

I just received my QC and it does seem to run hot.
It almost seems like the metal box is designed to act as a heat sync.
Just want to be sure I didn’t get a defective unit.
Thanks

When I got mine I was concerned about the heat. I did some research and they’ve tested it up to 160 degrees I believe. I did a summer gig, it was 90 degrees F for a 2 hour show and it survived just fine.

Long story short, I had the same concern. Not anymore. But I do have large feet on it so it can vent out on the bottom.

Thanks for your reply.
I will relax about the heat.
Should I be adding large feet?

Well I’m a bit paranoid given this was a big investment. Considering there are also air vents, I figure someone who engineered it was concerned about heat dissipation. So I got furniture pads from home depot. It gives it more lift, and still fits in Neurals QC case just fine.

1 Like

I noticed the heat too but it is typical of devices like this. The aluminum housing does a great job of dissipating the heat though. I’ve played 6 shows with it and it stays on for at least 4 solid hours at a time, as well as hours more at the house. I have it on a pedal board now that raises it above the floor, but the first two shows it sat directly on the floor. I’ve had no issues and feel confident it is performing as it should.

1 Like

It doesn’t seem like, it’s aluminum chassis is actually designed to dissipate the heat. No fans used or needed etc. I have left mine on for days/weeks, used outside during 90 degree temps and it handled the temps like a champ. You should be good.

Thanks all!
I will stop worrying.
It seems to be running cooler now.
Maybe a “break-in” thing?
I’m loving the QC!

2 Likes

Has anyone done an outdoor gig with the unit? I’m going to guess it wouldn’t like direct sunlight too much but indirect would hopefully be fine.

Yes, and at least one other have posted they have played in direct sunlight. The show I played was on an outdoor stage, and the sun was directly on us. The QC was sitting on the floor on it’s factory feet. I only had the QC on for two hours, but it didn’t have any problems. The aluminum body of the QC apparently does a good job.

Thanks for the info, that’s pretty impressive! I definitely did not expect direct sun to be ok, very good to know though as I’ll be playing an outdoor gig next weekend and may be in direct sun.

1 Like

FWIW, my QC has been powered almost continuously (except for moving it around or trying out other power supplies) since it arrived in May. That includes days of severe heat when the outdoor temps reached 113 F and the coolest indoor temps were in the 90s, for days.

I was a bit concerned at first about blocking the bottom vent by placing the QC on a rug, but that seems not to be a problem.